'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Don't know what 2 do!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-10 3:29 PM
17 replies, 5513 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-03-20 8:03 PM (#22812)
Subject: Don't know what 2 do!

Hi!

I have a yearling filly that I have been having a problem with. When ever I'm leading her, she wants to walk ahead of me and at times, if she gets anxious she will walk ahead of and around the front of me, practically running me over. I would like to know what I need to do to stop this behavior. She does it so quick that I don't know what to do.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-03-20 8:18 PM (#22813 - in reply to #22812)
Subject: RE: Don't know what 2 do!

Veteran

Hi, I have always had good luck with making them think. When you are walking, just start taking turns and stops with out preparing her. Then she will have to think & pay attention to what you are doing instead of getting ahead of you. If you keep her on her toes that way, it normally makes them pay more attention to what you are doing and stops the anticipation and "self thinking"
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-03-20 8:46 PM (#22814 - in reply to #22812)

Expert

Sounds like your filly is at the other end of the lead rope but it's broke to lead properly.  John Lyons has about the best way I've ever seen and used to fix poor leaders.

Basically you start by having them move when asked and stop when you do.  If not then work them in the round pen until they realize taking your commands is the better of the two ideas.  It's hard to type the visual for you...just go spend the $30 bucks for his leading and loading video or find a friend that has it.  Basically you teach them to lead with your body, then you put the halter on.  The horse should see you as being the top "mare", following your body language and RESPECTING your space/authority!

When you get the video, remember to be gentle on the babies...running them all day only hurts those little legs.

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-03-21 7:28 AM (#22818 - in reply to #22812)

Elite Veteran

There are lots of good clinicians and their basic approach to problem solving is similar in many ways. I like John Lyons, Kenny Harlow, Charles Wilhelm and a few others. Like huntseat said, your yearling is not respecting you and that's the first hurdle to cross with her. I like starting the little ones and teaching them manners after I've earned their trust. If they don't trust you, respect comes far down the road if ever. Lots of websites to look at and when I've had a "problem horse" the problem with the horse was getting them to understand what I wanted first, and then be willing to do it in a timely manner. Put "clicker training" in your search engine and see what it gives you. I've used clicker training on a lot of horses with great results. Happy trails.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-03-21 1:36 PM (#22830 - in reply to #22812)

Plan a leading session where you have time & room to play. Start for point A w/ the filly in the correct position. When she gets ahead of you, give her a light swat on the butt and disengauge her hindquarters. As you do this, switch your direction of travel (now we are going to point B) so that she is again in the correct position. As soon as she pops up ahead of you, repeat the procedure. Get that nice disengaugement each time, don't be mean or rough with the rope, just decide you are going to go "this way now" everytime she gets out of position. She'll soon figure out that everytime she gets ahead of you she gets a bite on her butt and ends up at your side!

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-03-21 1:53 PM (#22831 - in reply to #22812)

Thanks for all the great advise everyone. This filly is not generally disobedient, but when she gets anxious or a little spooked she pulls this on me. I have tried doubling her back, but now she anticipates this. I have also tried sending her lunging for trying to either run or walk fast around me. Both worked for a bit, but now we are back to square one!!! Thanks again for the help!
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-03-21 3:52 PM (#22839 - in reply to #22831)

Expert

I am not a fan of swating the butt if they get in front of you.  I prefer teaching them with taps on the chest with a dressage type whip.  Stand next to her, facing the side of her head.  Turn and walk forward and, if she starts to lose her position at all, lightly tap her chest with the whip without turning your body to her.  If she continues to move out past you, tap harder till she slows.  She needs to know that she has to stay with your body.  You should end up with a horse that never pulls you with the lead. 
relay101
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-03-21 4:04 PM (#22840 - in reply to #22812)

Veteran

I agree with hav2ride.  The swatting from behind is only pushing them forward.  I don't see how this disengages the hindquarters in a positive way.  We are having the exact same problem with our yearling colt.  He will drag my mother-in-law all over the place but I carry the dressage whip and he is learning to stay at my shoulder or slightly behind.  I also use the dressage whip with our draft stallion.  Sometimes to keep him from running me over and other times to drive him from behind to catch up with me.  It is long enough that I do not have to alter my position or the direction that I am heading.
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-03-22 9:07 PM (#22896 - in reply to #22812)

Extreme Veteran

Lots of good advice here. I'd like to add Linda Tellington-Jones to the mix. She uses the dressage whip very precisely and the horses "get it" right away. Lots of people are put off by her New Age presence and teachings, and if you are too, just close your ears and watch. You'll be amazed. A search under her name or TTeam should get you lots of info.
lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-03-23 5:55 AM (#22899 - in reply to #22812)

Regular

i agree with hav2ride. I have seen this method work great.The dressage whip really works wonders. My husband alson tried waqlkin just slightly in there path with his elbow out where if they went forward the would feel it poke them in the center of there cchest and it gave the baby a sharp jolt that THE Baby was the source of.Same basic idea as the dressage whip but my husband isn't too handy with those so he improvised the elbow thing . It has worked pretty good for him and before long they figure if i go past i'm gonna hurt myself not he's gonna do such and such.I have seen this work on some older horses that were just absolutely rue and disrespectful. So use your ming but either way they are pretty much the same. Laters and good luck. Oh yeah try just stoppin every now and then with her aand when she does as you want give her some scratches...ok well i mean pettin basicly but with ours we scratch them on the neck like a dog and they purely love it. Goodness knows itts better than giving them trewats and its something most people do anyway for there horse. Well laters
Rhiannon
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-03-23 8:17 AM (#22903 - in reply to #22899)

Expert

The problem with using the elbow is that you teach the horse to stay to tight in your space before they are reprimanded.  I prefer to stay away from them and let them know they should not invade my space nor get in front of me.
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-03-23 12:49 PM (#22913 - in reply to #22812)

Extreme Veteran

Regards to the elbow, I think using it will put you off balance and facing towards the horse a bit. Then you're not in a position to move ahead if your horse does not respond or skirts  around you like you described in your early post. Another thing I've seen alot, and I used to do(!), is for us to be obedient to our own commands...Say "Whoa" then stop (we're so well behaved!) w/o the correct response from the horse yet. This gets the circling or barging ahead again. Lots of the natural horsemanship trainers have videos. Pick a well-known practitioner, find a leading section, watch with and w/o the sound. I find I learn different stuff when I'm focused on the action, not just the words. My 2 cents.
PrettyQuarterHorses
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-03-23 5:02 PM (#22925 - in reply to #22812)

(I didnt read through all of the replies, so Im sorry if I missed something or am repeating someone else)

I did see that someone said to keep them on their toes. Thats also something that Id suggest. Keep thier minds thinking....but not just on, "Okay, we are going to take a few steps then I am going to try and run ahead and fly around". Stop her, back her up, do small circles, *if you have taught her* stepping over in the hind quarters, ect.

Best Wishes!

relay101
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-03-24 8:12 AM (#22951 - in reply to #22812)

Veteran

Just last night I watched a short John Lyons section on leading.  You pick where you want the horse to walk whether it be at your shoulder or 2 steps behind.  Begin to walk forward when the horse moves out of the proper chosen position IMMEDIATELY stop and make the horse back up 5 steps.  Then start again.  Jody, his wife, completely new to horses said it took her about 100 times and now the horse stays in position.  So although ours are much younger than the horse she was working with I am sure that this would be a good training lesson.  He reminded everyone to not lose their cool and not to do anything out of anger.  This is awfully hard after being almost trampled by a frisky yearling.
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-11 3:22 AM (#23659 - in reply to #22812)

Veteran

Get a lead chain and use it to teach her to walk with you and not over you. just a few good yanks to teach her you are the boss mare and to stay out of your space and to walk with you not over you. You dont have to be cruel to teach a lesson. It depends on the horse where to place the chain, over the nose or under the chin. Watch her front feet as she may paw or strike out until she figures out what this is. Just remember that a yearling will be a full grown horse soon with no control. You need to teach her now. She will be easier to deal with later if you start her training now. They will still be your sweet babies even with respect. Training tools are only as harsh as the hand that holds them.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-12 11:38 AM (#23721 - in reply to #22812)

Expert

Using a chain on a baby can make them headshy to contact with the lead.  Train them correctly from the get go.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-12 1:55 PM (#23729 - in reply to #23721)

Expert

I don't like to use a chain, but I will use the lead rope in a similar way.  I snap the rope onto the halter and make a loop and slip it between the halter and lower jaw and slip the loop up over the nose.  If they jerk back it doesn't hurt, but it does put  pressure on the nose and under the jaw.  I only use that when I have to.  Like when my 3 year first laid eyes on the demon horse eating pony carts.

Edited by Terri 2005-04-12 1:59 PM
foxmoorqhs
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-10 3:29 PM (#24949 - in reply to #22812)

Before anything else, make sure she knows the word WHOA.  And when you say whoa, you need to mean it NOW, not in 3 steps!  If she's a hard stopper on the lead, then add a chain under her chin.  Work on basic showmanship type stuff...not to prep to show, but just to get some good handling manners on her.

When leading her, as soon as she starts to move too far forward or to invade your space, stop and back her.  Back several steps until she's focused back on you, then proceed forward again.  You should be able to get a bit further each time before she starts to invade your space. 

Another option would be to lead her with a long lead rope and as soon as she starts to move forward on you, then force her into a lunging circle.  Stop her, back her and try again.

Choose one method and stick with it.  If she doesn't start to get the message after a couple of sessions, then you can try another tactic. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)