'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need help! Scared for the first time after accident...

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-26 1:50 PM
25 replies, 6557 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-11 2:49 AM (#23658)
Subject: Need help! Scared for the first time after accident...

Veteran

I am 39 and have been riding all my life. I have had many falls, some required hospital stays, but in January 2004 I had a bad fall that I am still recovering from. I was told by my doctor that I may can start back riding next month after I do some strength training if I do OK.. But for the first time in my life I am scared.. I have begged the doctors for over a year to let me ride, but now that the doctor says that I may get to ride I think I am scared.. I was excited at first BUT now I dont know.. What if? well you know. I have just got where I can walk into the store without stopping in pain.. I still cant see to drive very well and I cant drive at night at all or sit with a light over me. I have just gotten where I can use my computer thanks to the LCD screen and a dimmed room. Am I crazy?  How do I get back on? I've never felt this way before. How do I deal? I love my horses..

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
relay101
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-04-11 9:57 AM (#23665 - in reply to #23658)
Subject: RE: Need help! Scared for the first time after accident...

Veteran

What exactly are you scared of?  Being in pain?  Being out of control?  Not being able to see?  The best thing to do is to first identify your fear and then make sure the situation accommodates for that.  I was in a similar situation after not riding for several years.  I had just lost all confidence and was scared.  I took my return to riding very slowly.  The first day all I did was mount up and sit on the horse.  That was it.  You will be very very surprised with how quickly your confidence returns.  Just take it slow have someone with you to help you.  Although I knew my horse wasn't going anywhere it made me feel better to know that my husband was holding him.  You will be just fine.  Just get back on.
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-11 10:50 AM (#23668 - in reply to #23658)

Veteran

I guess what scares me is I almost died from that last ride and all I had was a broken leg that went bad at the hospital ( doctors mistake). Near death experience. My husband is very supportive and will be more than glad to help, as a matter of fact he doesn't want me to ride but understands my love for my horses and wants to be a part of it. I have never had a fear like this before and dont know how to deal. I will get back up very slow. Your idea of just sitting is good. I will have to bite my pride and start from scratch or not at all..

Thanks, Just wanted a few words of encouragement from someone who has had the same fear and worked through it.

Thanks a million!

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-11 11:14 AM (#23671 - in reply to #23668)

Expert

Tell me about the accident, your horse, and your level of riding.
relay101
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-04-11 11:27 AM (#23673 - in reply to #23658)

Veteran

I promise you that once you sit on that horse you will be cantering across the fields in no time.  Just don't push yourself.  Make your goal for the day but be flexible.  Day one - sit on horse in round pen.  Day two - sit on horse in round pen for 5 minutes.  Day three - have your husband walk you around one lap. On so on.  Each day that nothing bad happens you will start to get that feeling back.  That feeling of - "I am in control of this animal."   I know how you feel.  When the horse starts to dance and jig you want to throw up.  But just remember back to a time when that dance made your heart soar and your adrenaline pump.  You will get that back and it will be faster than you think.  The saying goes - Every journey begins with just one step.  Yours will be a mounting block.

One last tip.  Use a small step ladder with big wide steps.  I felt better stepping up the ladder and standing over the horse.  And thinking back that first day  I just climbed the ladder and leaned over my horse's back keeping my feet firmly on the ladder.  After about 30 seconds (which is an eternity) my husband said, "Just get on.  I am not going to let anything happen."  And that was it.

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-11 12:08 PM (#23674 - in reply to #23658)

Veteran

My level of riding is (was) I have trained and shown for many although I have not shown in several years be cause of working. The horse I normally ride is a 5 yr old Paint mare, She is not a dead head but very gentle and not spookey at all, but she has not been ridden in over a year. I also have a 3 yr old gelding that is very gentle and was used for Autistic Kids when I had him broken last summer, but he has not been ridden sense the fall. I was training a 2 yr old when I took my fall. I do not currently own a old dead head. Never needed one. I have 5 horses and only 2 use to be riders, the other 3 are one Stallion I use for breeding, one brood mare, and a 2 yr old that I have not started yet. I sold everything else when I got hurt. Anyone need a very nice 2 yr old filly for showing western? I was gona train her for myself and show but now I'm thinking Brood Mare... Too nice to waste.. My mind is on my 3 and 5 yr olds..They are my hope for riding..MAYBE!!
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-11 1:05 PM (#23677 - in reply to #23674)

Expert

Ok, I just wanted to see if you were kind of new at this and had a bad seed horse.  Sounds like the 2 just got the best of you this time.  That happens.  My suggestion is to get back on a good broke horse and just have fun.  You'll gain your confidence back and remember how much you enjoyed it before.  If you don't want to deal with the youngsters anymore, so what.  You don't have anything to prove and you can still have tons of fun with the broke ones.  So, sadlle up, longe it hard first to insure a good experience, and hop on!  You'll be back to normal in no time!

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-11 1:34 PM (#23678 - in reply to #23658)

Veteran

Thanks so much for all of yalls encouragement, It truely helps me inside. I will get back on but will take it slow, sitting awhile sounds like the plan on a well lounged horse. I will make sure I have help from my husband and do a lot of praying before hand.

The Lord willing I will be back.

Pray for me and wish me luck.......

Jpro
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-04-11 5:47 PM (#23685 - in reply to #23658)

Also, try to remind yourself that the major part of your injury was not from the fall but from the doctors screw-up, if I understood correctly. But like everyone else said, go slow and stick with fairly solid horses to start. You've been dointg this a long time and at a higher level for it too not come back to you. And, I would have someone work your two horses for you for a while, if possible, before you try to get on. A year is a long time for them to have been without a rider, they could be a "little fresh." Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great and be happy to be back in the saddle.
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-11 7:08 PM (#23686 - in reply to #23658)

Veteran

Thanks, Yes the doctors messed up and have been doing it all year trying not to get in trouble for thier mistakes the many there are hoping I will get better or get lost. New doctors now new treatments and now getting better. Also a good idea for some one to work my horses first I'll start trying to find someone I trust to ride . Dont want to undo all my work. I really like my horses and dont want the wrong person on them. And yes you are right I you cant keepworking the young or rank ones without getting a hard hit once in a while. If I get my confidence back I will not be riding them any more I am getting to lod and the ground is getting harder.

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-11 7:15 PM (#23687 - in reply to #23658)

Veteran

Sorry, I dont know what happened to my spelling!!! I was saying that I am getting to old and the ground is getting much to hard. My mind goes at times ( brain injury not treated as well) Dont get hurt in my neck of the woods unless you are planning to die early, HA HA !!!
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-12 1:01 AM (#23697 - in reply to #23687)

Elite Veteran

Wierd...I was just ready an article today in a magazine I have. It was titled "Hope for the Haunted Equestian". It was about riders who are dealing with a lingering fear or phobia resulting from a bad accident. It's a psychological thing called Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). It was developed in 1987. I can scan the article and send it to you if you want. They also have a link:  www.emdr.org.

I haven't looked at this site, so I don't know if it can help you.

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-12 9:19 AM (#23711 - in reply to #23658)

Veteran

I will check out the site. And yes PLEASE send the article. Someone else may get some good out of it too.

THANK YOU!!!

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-12 11:27 AM (#23718 - in reply to #23658)

Elite Veteran

God Bless you and Good Luck.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-12 11:46 AM (#23722 - in reply to #23658)

Expert

I know some of the show folks around here just switch to halter horses or breeding and not training and showing once they had bad accidents.  (I'm not really sure if halter horses are more safe.)
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-12 12:20 PM (#23725 - in reply to #23658)

Veteran

I have worked with and shown halter horses in the past. As a matter of fact I like to expose my babies to the show ring first at halter. But I really don't care for the Halter classes not even showmanship, especially now that I can't walk correctly. Thanks for the idea though.. I think if I can just get back on and maybe trail ride I may be happy with that and raising my babies. If I can ever get my confidence back.
RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-12 3:21 PM (#23737 - in reply to #23658)

Extreme Veteran

I have just got where I can walk into the store without stopping in pain.. I still cant see to drive very well and I cant drive at night at all or sit with a light over me.   

If this is how you feel, you're in no shape to ride.  I'd rest and give it more time until you feel strong and healthy again.  There is no rush.  First things first, take care of yourself.  Don't pressure yourself into thinking you have to get back on right away.  Try to heal completely, rather than jump on the second you can.  Give your body a break.  If you rush it, I think you would be more likely to have another accident for two reasons:  You've lost confidence and your body is weak and recovering.  When the body is weak or sick our mind doens't work at 100%, and vice versa. At least wait until your body is ready, then you will have one less thing to be concerned about.  And remember, the older we get, the longer it takes to heal.  There are other ways you can remain involved w/ horses while your wait on your body to heal. 

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-12 4:21 PM (#23745 - in reply to #23658)

Veteran

This is exactly what my husband says. I guess I just want so bad for my life to return to normal again. But as they say no pain no gain. The pain has allowed my Faith to grow stronger and I guess in time my physical strength will return along with my confidence.

Everyones words are so much help.. And you all have no idea how much I apreciate the advise. I will give it plenty of time, I guess its been over a year and a little longer will not kill me. I need to hold on to my pride a little longer and let me body heal more.. In the mean time that will give me time to get my horses ridden by someone. And give me time to build up more strengeth. I have been walking my 3 year old around the yard and my coordination with my footing is not to good and its still painful, but when I do start I will start with just sitting.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

Kellye
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-04-13 10:56 PM (#23813 - in reply to #23658)

I've been exactly where you are. I had 2 accidents in one month on my good ole reliable Arab gelding about 4 years ago, and I was out of riding for several months due to a back injury. Both accidents happened at a standstill, but both freaked me out due to the circumstances. The actual accidents are inconsequential now, but the psychological fall-out lasted for almost 2 years.

I had to get back to it very slowly, and with the help of my wonderful husband. He stood by my horse while I mounted, and held him still for me. He had to do this for several months before I got my confidence back enough to get on by myself. The hardest part was dealing with my fear and the nervous nausea I felt before each ride. Horse have been my passion and profession, but feeling such fear and nervousness was foreign to me. It was a new emotion, but I did get one good thing out of it...empathy for my riding students who were also dealing with their fears.

I turned to Jessica Jahiel, who is associated with the ARIA (American Riding Instructors Assoc). She's a psycologist who is also a riding instructor and has done clinics, written a couple of books and gears her talks towards adults. Her book, Riding for the Rest of Us, is a great book for adults new to riding. But, the point is, Jessica has some great things to say about dealing with riding fears.

I also turned to friends who were supportive of my new-found attitude of fear and caution. I've always been a very cautious rider, but my 2 falls and my long recovery (mental and physical) really made me realize that I'm not as young as I used to be and maybe it's time to slow down.

It took me over 2 years to get back my confidence, and for my horse to trust me again. I forgot to mention that he got hurt on the 2nd fall, and not only was my confidence blown, his was also shot and he was afraid of me!!! So I had to deal with both of our fears.

Now, several years later, and a few years older (I'm 41), me and my gelding are back to a trusting partnership. It took alot of patience, counseling from friends and some more patience, plus a bit of perserverence, but we're back to where we were before the 2 accidents. I still have a fear of falling off, but since we've slowed down considerably, I don't worry about it so much. We used to do CTR and Endurance riding, so going fast and for miles and miles was our "thing". I still love the trails, but my competitive days are behind me, and now we just mosey on down the trails, trotting along and enjoying the scenery.

So, my advice is to first, let yourself heal so you don't get hurt again. Next, find someone to start riding your horses for you so that when your times comes to get back on, you'll be TOTALLY confident that your horse will be ready; you don't need any surprises. Then, TAKE YOUR TIME. Don't push yourself. EQUUS did an article last year about dealing with riding fears...look it up and read it...over and over. Talk to others who have shared experiences. Empathy from fellow riders with the same type of fear is a great way to heal your mind. It helps you to realize that you're not alone and that you CAN get past this.

I wish you the best of luck. Us "old, broken down" riders have to stick together!! Just remember your fears are normal and even healthy, because they keep you cautious and alert. You'll need plenty of that when you start riding again. Just look at it as though your fears will eventually work in your favor; they will evolve over time, and one day, you'll be back to normal.
LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-14 5:39 PM (#23856 - in reply to #23658)

Regular

It's good to hear that there are other people that are in the same boat. I won't go into detail, but to this day I still have fear from an accident 3 years ago. I was on a dead broke horse out by myself cantering along far from home, when all of a sudden he decided to start bucking with all his might with no warning and off I came. I only ended up bruised and had a minor concushion, but I lost all confidence and did not ride for over a year. I never did get back on that horse. (I sold him) I think the worst thing about that accident is that I had never ever had a problem with hime and he really did seem to be broke to death. He was 15 years old and had seen and done it all. After that, I will never believe that there is a truely dead broke horse. Anything can happen anytime. I have a mare that had also not been ridden all that time and I so desprately wanted to ride again, but was afraid. I sent her to a neighbor for 30 days and when she came back, I slowly started to ride again. Mostly just in the round pen, but I did trailer out on go on a few trail rides. Now I ALWAYS were a helmet and mostly just walk/trot. I still tense up terribley when people come cantering up behind me because my horse  gets a bit anxious. I had posted awhile back looking for people in the Middle Tennessee/lower mid Kentucky area to go on leasiurely rides with, so if any of you out there are interested let me know. The gal I used to ride with got board with me because all she wants to do is run up hills and ride fast and I only want to walk/trot and canter when I'm feeling really brave. I really do know how you feel. Also, I think part of it comes with age. I'm just a few years older then you, but I could see my confidence falling when I hit my late 30s after several minor accidents. I was like you. I would ride anything without fear, but sadly those days are gone. I wish you all the luck and like the other people have said, take it slow and easy. Keep in mind, you may never be like you used to be, but you can still enjoy your horses at a leasiurly pace like I do. Good Luck and I'll think about you as I'm climbing aboard my horse thinking brave thoughts. IM me if you ever feel like you need a boost. My horses have been off all winter, so I'm slowing working up the bravery so I can ride again.

Danielle

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-07-19 11:51 AM (#28248 - in reply to #23658)

hello my name is ansley and i am 15 i have made many falls, one that was pretty bad i barrel race, i know how you fell and how i curred myself was starting back slow and esy like on day just sitting there and when you fell redy you walk and then go on dont over do your self that is when you fall off!!! Dont get on if you are scared becasuse you probaly know that the horse can fell that!! so take your time and dont be scared, just get out there and take it easy!! I hope that you can ride again!! i know that you love your horses and hope that oyu fell better and just be carfull!! i am breaking a colt now and got thrown in a full canter just 2 days ago but i am yuoung and you are a little bit older so hope that you get out there and ride becasue wants you get back to riding you wont quit!!!!
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-07-19 7:53 PM (#28285 - in reply to #23658)

Extreme Veteran

I completely understand where you're coming from.  I didn't have an accident riding but two car accidents nine months apart.  Both times my doctor wouldn't let me ride for a few months and I begged him to let me ride.  He finally agreed but told me not too long.  When I got on to ride around in a lot, it was like I just panicked and had to get off now!  I couldn't believe it because I've ridden all my life.  I was scared to death and I finally realized I was scared of getting hurt again.  When you hurt that long you don't want to start all over again by getting hurt again like I did with the second accident.   I felt better riding my old horse but had to put him down so starting with a young horse bothered me, even one I raised.   I was like you and had young horses to work with and my mare had a new baby.  What helped me was to work with a trainer that worked my horses and me together.  When she was training I'd go once a week and she'd give me lessons on my horse.  It wasn't easy starting out.  There was times I just wanted to cry I was so scared but then I'd keep telling myself "this is something I Love, I know I do" and would keep reminding myself enough that. I knew someday I would feel the love instead of the fear, I just had to ride to get over that fear and it won't come overnight. You'll probably never feel like you did before, you'll always have more caution. Listen to you doctor as well.  The first time I went out actually trailriding I over did it.  Went for an hour, came home and walked in the house in tears throwing clothes off, heading to bed because I hurt so bad.   When you're scared you'll find you'll be tense and when you don't relax things hurt more riding.  It's been five years and I feel the love riding.  You'll need to be patient with yourself and adjust your riding to what's comfortable to you.  I only trailride, I walk & trot and rarely canter.  I have some friends that I don't ride with because they like to go too fast.  My back can't take jogging too much.  I feel comfortable & confident riding again and love it!   You'll will too, you just have to have mind or matter and tell yourself you can do it because you can!
Erin_CBT
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-07-20 12:42 PM (#28306 - in reply to #23658)

Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP! My sister had a really bad accident with a horse when she was young and she never wanted to get back on. To this day she regrets not getting back on b/c she loves horses but cannot bring herself to do it. She would have been an awesome rider but never had the confidence to get back on. She watches me show at my QH shows and kicks herself.  Just remember there is no such thing as a "dead broke" horse, and don't over do it. Wearing a helmet may make you feel better, but remember, they do not make you invincible. They only protect you in certain situations. Just remember all of the fun you once had and you will be back in the saddle in no time!
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-20 4:36 PM (#28325 - in reply to #23658)

Veteran

I would start by just brushing the horses and working them from the ground. If they haven't had much human interaction in the past year, they will need to start slowly just as you do. Once you have your confidence back just being around them and working with them, go to the round pen and lunge them. You will know when you're ready to take that next step and get back up in the saddle, but get your confidence from the ground first. Horses can sense when things have changed with you and if you now walk with a limp (for example), that may make them nervous. A friend of mine broke her leg and her horse horse was so nervous around her with the cast on (even when she didn't have crutches) that he wouldn't even come to the fence to see her. This is a horse that would normally come running when she whistled. So, remember that your horses might need to make an adjustment too. Good luck and remember that there's no shame in getting off when it doesn't feel right.

Edited by Champhorse 2005-07-21 8:09 AM
Foxtrot2
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-02 8:06 PM (#28795 - in reply to #23658)

I hope this thread helps you.  It has helped me.  A couple of years ago, I fell from my gelding and dislocated my elbow so bad I ended up in a cast for 6 weeks.  3 months later, my horse and I both went down and I broke my ankle bad enough for a metal plate and 9 pins.  The following summer I was a scared puppy.  It took me the second winter after my accidents to start looking forward to summer.  I really worked that winter to get my strength and balance back after favoring my right side for so long.  I was physically ready to get back on.  I went out and spent time thru the winter with my gelding as much as I could on the ground, reconnecting.  When summer came I used the baby step approach.  One day I got on.  One day I rode around the back yard.  etc.  Reading some of the other posts, I don't feel so bad that it's taken me a few years to get it back together.  Good luck, please don't push yourself.  Your true love of horses will eventually put you back in the saddle when you're ready.  Until then, they are beautiful to watch, to brush, to laugh at and to cry on. 

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)