'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Myler bits

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-13 11:49 AM
5 replies, 3737 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

equigal
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-03 2:30 PM (#24656)
Subject: Myler bits

Regular

I have a 3 year-old gelding...doesn't like to bend in circles to right...he resists by grinding his teeth when asked to bend or go in frame....Does anyone have any experence with Myler bits???
He is getting better...grinds teeth for about 20 seconds to show me he's unhappy, then goes on and flexs and bends....
I have read that the Myler bit is gentler on the tonge then a standard snaffle....another option I have thought about is a broken kimberwick...similar to snaffle but uses a curb chain also (no sank, just a d-ring)...Maybe it will take the pressure of the tonge but still ask for some flex?
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
highgatefarm
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-03 4:48 PM (#24661 - in reply to #24656)
Subject: RE: Myler bits

Regular

A Mylar with a chain like a kimberwick is good but really only if your horse is moving through the bit.  Sounds like your horse might be trying to tell you he is hurting somewhere trying to bend in that direction.  Most people buy there horse used and really have no idea what injuries might have happened in this horses life.  Check teeth !!!  I would really watch the way he moves on a lunge line, both directions.  Look to see if he is off or stiff, the way he carries his head.  If everything looks ok.  Lunge with side reins making the inner rein tighter.  Use your legs and support the horse between them.  Make the horse move around your leg.  All the best ! T
equigal
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-04 7:18 AM (#24692 - in reply to #24656)

Regular

Thanks for the advice....I am unfamilar with the full history of this horse and yes, he appears to be moving differently to the right when being lunged.
I am fortunate enough to have an equine message therapist/accupunturist living with 1/4 mile of me and I am going to bring her over in the next few days to watch him moving on the lunge line....
Thanks again, you have re-enforced my feelings that all is not well.....
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-08 3:42 PM (#24849 - in reply to #24656)

Extreme Veteran

I have several Myler bits for different horses. I love the way they provide tongue relief. I'm not sure I'd buy another brand of bit, but I always shop around before buying! However, the bit only helps with mouth comfort and doesn't address any other issues your horse may be having with its body which may be the cause of discomfort elsewhere. Like the previous poster said, I also would recommend checking out the rest of the body to make sure the problem with bending  isn't originating from somewhere other than the mouth. Lameness, sore back, sore shoulder, ill-fitting saddle, crooked rider (No insult intended. We're all a little crooked to some degree.), the list goes on.....Sounds like your neighbor can help with checking all that out. Good luck with all this!
equigal
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-13 7:48 AM (#25049 - in reply to #24656)

Regular

Well, The equine chiropractor came and checked my horse out ...Apparently he did have some misalignment in his pelvis, which she corrected. He also has some stifle soreness (which was evident last year…which is why I gave him the winter off). She gave me some back strengthening suggestions for him that I am now implementing. Gosh, I am lucky to have someone like here within walking distance of my farm. My gelding was standing square and appeared pain free when she left. The teeth grinding may well have been a result of not wanting to bend because of pain. So, hopefully some issues will be resolved. I think that a lot of this geldings’ issues are related to overwork and over bending as a 2 year old… Everybody wants a “quick-fix”..a show perfect animal in as short a time possible. I am glad that I also have a home-bred yearling in my barn. That way I can bring her along nice and slow and hopefully have a “sound” horse in the long run…… I still think that the Myler bit looks interesting and will keep my eye open for one. Thanks for your input on this. This site is a great resource…Wonderful to have some discussions with other “horsey folk” ! Thanks again!
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-13 11:49 AM (#25061 - in reply to #24656)

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like you're on the right track with finding what this horse needs. Also, your yearling is lucky to have you from the start! Right now I'm dealing with a horse that someone really wrecked. We've had him nearly a year now and he STILL doesn't trust us completely. So, keep up the good work. Your horses will thank you!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)