'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Arabs

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-10 2:49 PM
5 replies, 3762 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-09 11:53 AM (#24892)
Subject: Arabs

Extreme Veteran

Question for you all.  I don't have a lot of experience with Arabs, very little in fact. Most of my time has been spent with QHsand Paints. 

Well, now we own one for breeding purposes and are providing mare care for two others. 

Seems to me, Arabs are smart, have endless energy and very alert (jumpy).   So heres my question for those of you that have experience with both breeds (Arabs and QH). 

How are Arabs and QH different and how should I, if at all, change my approach to working with them vs. QH. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-09 1:03 PM (#24897 - in reply to #24892)
Subject: RE: Arabs

Expert

The main thing I can offer as helpful advice is that you can't force an Arab to do anything.  Unlike a QH that you can forcefully bully into anything.  Arabs must think it's their idea.  You must be softer with them and think many steps ahead.  John Lyon's methods work but it may take more "working" to get an Arab to think, "wow, I'd better do what they say or I'll run to death in this round pen."  That's what I love about my QH's, they are lazy and easier to train...dumb in comparison, but I personally like horses that follow my directions instead of trying to out think me.

If both Arabs and QH's were students:

Arabs would ask why every time you paused and QH's would blindly believe you and do what you told them to.

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-10 5:41 AM (#24929 - in reply to #24892)

Elite Veteran

I couldn't have said better myself. You're very accurate and fair with your description, Hunt. It's nice to "see."
Kellye
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-05-10 8:33 AM (#24930 - in reply to #24892)

What an insightful question!! It's nice to see a QH person recognize the difference and try to adjust their methods to match the breed!!

I have had Arabs for many years and what huntseat says is SO true. You cannot bully an Arab into anything. You cannot punish them harshly; it will break their heart. I have 2 Arabs in my barn right now that have a horrible history of being in abusive homes, and their beautiful spirits have been broken. Both have been out of the "bad situations" for about 2 years now, and it's taken this long for them to begin to relax around humans again. Sad thing is, you can see that they very much want to be around us, but they are still unsure due to what they've been through in their pasts.

I'll say that in working with Arabs for the past 9 years, I've learned a tremendous amount of patience. I've learned to respect their extreme intelligence, and I truly love their thoughtfulness and need for attention. I've learned to NOT blow up when they are doing things wrong, but to stop, take a deep breath and start over with a calming tone. Working with Arabs has taught me alot about life in general; I am a much calmer person, I don't panic and I really think things through BEFORE doing it. This is the mentallity you must have when working with Arabs. Never get in a rush; don't loose your temper and look at the world through their eyes. They are truly "people" horses and will give you 110% if you ask for it, let them understand and give them time to learn.
RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-10 11:24 AM (#24936 - in reply to #24930)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the replies.  I really appreciate them and any experience or insight you have to offer.

Fortunately, I have learned to be patient  with horses and give them as much time as it takes.  The comments pretty much sum up what I have observed so far. I guess it will just take some time for her to develop some trust.  Reminds me why I like to buy my horses as weanlings.   Who knows what she has been through?  But...I'm up for the challenge.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-05-10 2:49 PM (#24944 - in reply to #24892)

Expert

I have owned and trained arabians for a few years now and currently own 3. i have also owned and trained stock types as well. this is my opinion-

Arabians aren't that much different that other breeds. there are some who are very calm, some who aren't. Some take to training easier, some just don't get it right away. This is no different than any other horse.  You treat the horses as to their personality and disposition. Most people get into trouble with arabians because they allow bad behavior and chalk it up to- he's being an arab- when in fact its just bad behavior that you wouldn't tolerate in another breed.

I love my arabians for their beauty and versitility. just as I wouldn't pound the sense into a QH, you can't with an arabian either.  Good manners and respect go way beyond breed types. You handle and ride an arabian like anyother horse within the boundrys of that horses dispoistion.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)