'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Camping - corrals or line tie

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-10 9:29 AM
11 replies, 6847 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TWalkers
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-05-12 10:09 AM (#25016)
Subject: Camping - corrals or line tie

Would like to get some pros/cons of both. We have 2 that have been line tied overnight, but our 7 yr old gelding has not. We have seen the temporary corrals or post to run electric wire behind trailers overnight but would like some input on the corrals and/or electric wire. Our trailer is 30 ft. so we do have good lenght for a corral. Any suggestions on getting the 7 yr old use to line tie? We have his mother and usually if he is beside her he does better with everything, shoeing, etc.
Thanks in advance for any reply's and hope everyone has a safe Memorial Day weekend!52
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-05-12 11:24 AM (#25019 - in reply to #25016)
Subject: RE: Camping - corrals or line tie

Veteran

I use both methods but for different reasons. I use the portable electric corrals to let mine graze and just to relax and roll after a long ride. I can fence about a quarter acre in 45 minutes or so. This works pretty well when you have a small herd that you can keep an eye on.

If I am leaving them overnight OR I have to leave one or more in camp while others get to leave for a day ride then I don't trust the corrals. The animals get highlined in these situations. I try to find an area with a durable rocky surface and rake the area of leaves and pine cones (rake back over after you take down the highline). I find trees at least 7 inches in diameter or tie between two trailers. Some youngsters and mules will paw on a highline, so it helps if their bellys are FULL and they are close to their buddies.

TWalkers
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-05-12 2:09 PM (#25022 - in reply to #25019)

Thanks for your reply. That is very helpful. I guess if you only one trailer, you find some trees? What kind of highline do you use or is yours homemade? We just want what is the safest way so we don't have any accidents and what is most comfortable for them.
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-05-12 3:23 PM (#25026 - in reply to #25016)

Veteran

Well I have listed this in the "camping with horses" thread but I have created a webpage demonstrating highline construction. I just started this webpage (my first one), so I would appreciate some feedback...

http://pkrigerjr.tripod.com/highline.html

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-05-12 8:09 PM (#25035 - in reply to #25026)

Expert

Beautiful picture.  I love those trees, they are huge!!  I see how a high line goes up, now I just need an excuse to try one.
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-13 11:07 PM (#25090 - in reply to #25016)

Elite Veteran

I have high lined all my horses, from yearlings to late 20 year olds for the first time and never had any problems. One of mine gets bit by an idiot bug and will pull back and break lead ropes and stuff (This only happens once every year or 2 now) when he is tied to something solid. He used to do this constantly when we first got him about 5 years ago. Funny thing was, is that when he was on a high line, he would never do this. I used to corral mine with hot wire until 1 time I forgot my fence charger. This same gelding got out went around to all the campgrounds all night visiting while his buddy stayed put. Needless to say, we had no choice but to high line for the next 3 days. Never again will I go back to the corral. It is much easier and faster to put up and take down a high line. It also takes up less room. We all know how we love extra storage space in our trailers :) It's the first thing that goes up and the last thing that comes down.

keliy23
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-26 11:01 AM (#25712 - in reply to #25016)

Pros & Cons....

I was at an endurance ride last year and if you ever go to one, you will see, everyone uses electric corrals or the small pvc fence corrals. A horse got a little upset and ran out of his corral and through someone elses corral leaving four horses loose. It didn't take but a few seconds to catch the horses. I think most of them are really used to all the commotion of an endurance event, so they just stood around waiting to be caught. No one was hurt, etc.. The good thing was, none of the horses were hurt. The bad thing was, the horses were free to run off.

Hope this helps...

packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-05-26 11:23 AM (#25713 - in reply to #25016)

Veteran

I like my portable electric corral too, but I use it for entirely different reasons: it is for grazing, and some relaxing time after a ride ( my mules LOVE to roll!). BUT I don't trust it for leaving animals in camp if I am leaving for a day ride and only rarely for an overnight stay. That's where the highline shines...as a safe, secure method of stock containment.

Oh and just in case you live in an area without "HUGE" trees LOL...You can setup a nice highline between two horse trailers. If you are sleeping in the trailers, you may experience a little trailer rocking if your stock doesn't stand quiety. 

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-08 1:21 PM (#26231 - in reply to #25016)

Extreme Veteran

I've always high-lined before, but recently got a portable corral. I attached it to my trailer during the day so my horse could have more room(the trailer became one wall), but at night I set it up to free stand. I slept MUCH better w/o the horse attached to the trailer. Even with a pretty calm horse that doesn't pull on his high-line and jiggle the trailer, the zzzzzzipppppp of the horse moving back and forth on the line transferred (and I swear amplified!) into my trailer. I'm much happier on a good night's sleep!
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-03 2:23 PM (#27552 - in reply to #25016)

Expert

I pack a portable electric fence into the back country with me. We will put the horses out in it during the daylight.  At night we bring them in and highline them. If they have a full gut from grazing the are usually pretty content to stand tied to the highline.

At CTR & Endurance rides I use the HiTie system and tie to the trailer. It gives the horses more room than just tying to the trailer side and the fiberglass rods asorb A LOT of the horse movements so I don't feel him tugging on his lead all night while I'm trying to sleep.

I have not hauled panels, mainly because I didn't want to fasten them to the side of my nice trailer. The HiTie gives almost as much movement to the horse and sets up in 30 seconds.

Lankyman
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-07-08 10:59 AM (#27784 - in reply to #25016)

Regular

I have a 21-year old TN Walking horse.  I got her about 2 years ago.  I have high-lined her at some trail rides.  The only thing that I don't like about that is not-knowing what might happen during the night & then have to go find a horse that has broken free or gotten caught in the highline.  Back in April, there was a large organized ride down at Ward, SC that had 465 horses.  I noticed that at least 5+ horses broke loose during the weekend & had to be caught.  I don't think any of them were hurt or anything.  While at this ride I saw some smaller portable corral panels.  They are 4'3" high & 6' long.  I have a steel Bee 2 horse slant - stock combo trailer that weighs 2,500 lbs.  Since I only haul one horse, I have the panels standing on their end pointing to the ceiling of the trailer with the 6' section going up toward the ceiling.  I have them tied in with a motorcycle tie strap.  I like them because the fit inside my trailer.  I would be afraid to have panels on the outside of my trailer.  Not only because it would damage the trailer, I would not want to have the chance of them coming off of the trailer while hauling.  The panels are 1' square tubing so they are strong.  Even though they are steel, they do not weight much & anyone can set them up in just a few minutes.  The guy has other sizes & could probably make what ever size you needed.  Mine have 4 crossbars.  I wish that I had them remove one of the bars & evenly space three crossbars so that a horse would have less of a chance of slipping a leg between the bars.  Here is the website that has the panels like I bought.  He is located in Saluda, SC.  The panels that I have are like the ones in the 4th & 5th picture on his main web page.  If you are interested, call the owner Russell Durst or his son Clint Durst.  They will be happy to talk with you about their panels.  They can paint them in whatever color you want.  Also, they can have them powder coated to help prevent them rusting.  If you have room to carry them, I would suggest some small corral panels.  I can sleep better at night while camping knowing that my horse can lay down & roll if she wants to without having her head tied up on the highline.  She will sleep better & be better rested for the ride the next day.  Also I feel better about her not getting loose during the night while I have her in these panels.

http://www.carolinacorral.com/corrals.htm

krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-10 9:29 AM (#27862 - in reply to #27784)

Elite Veteran

Just a comment for the people who use electric fencing to confine your horses....Please be considerate of other people who are also coming to camp and ride. Do not fence off a big chunck of land for your horse to graze. We recently went to a ride which had a very good turnout. Many people were fencing off 1/4 acre or fencing off around 6 trees for their 1 or 2 horses. There was no place for others to park their rigs or high line their horses. Luckily we found 3 trees and were able to high line 8 horses, tie 5 horses to trailers, have 3 large truck and trailers, 1 small truck and trailer and 3 personal rigs...all on less than 1/4 acre. It just burned me that people thought they owned this land and could take up as much room as they wanted. They started turning rigs away because of lack of parking. I am sure other campers plans were ruined for the weekend because many felt this was free pasture. Please limit your space (like maybe a box stall size) when you are going to popular rides, so others can also enjoy it too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)