'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Saddles

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-25 6:01 PM
28 replies, 10357 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-07-06 8:30 AM (#27662 - in reply to #25357)
Subject: RE: Saddles

Elite Veteran

Circle Y Flex Lite is what I ride in now.  Tuckers are nice, but I douldn't find one to fit my horse. Neither width tree worked.  I also have a custom built endurance saddle that can't be beat. Desoto Saddlery.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-14 12:28 AM (#28039 - in reply to #25357)

Expert

I started out with a Crates ( standard western type) and it's a good saddle, but I feel my feet are a little forward in it. It's a little hard to stay centered in. I'm always just a little back in the seat. I had a custom saddle made by a retiring school teacher. It was a bargain at the time, now that he is a full time saddle maker his prices have skyrocketed.  Plus a couple of his saddles made it to the Smithstonian. It's a great western roping type of saddle. Very comfortable for me. But 7-8 hour rides leave my Foxtrotter a little sore on the loins.

I just bought a new gaited horse saddle. I got it off the internet and was pretty skeptical about ording it. (http://www.saddledealer.com) The price was reasonble. ($700) It was made in Larado TX if I remember right. I was worried about getting Mexican inferior leather, But it has herman oak leather and pretty nice tooling. They added some crupper rings and tie down rings for me. It has a synthetic fleece and a few small lumps along the cantle where they pulled the leather over the tree. A couple pack trips with panniers thrown over the saddle and an Elk or two this fall over the saddle and nobody will notice. It was about 6 weeks from order to delivery. It fits me VERY nice. I need a long ride on the horse to see how it fits him.

My daughters use some Abetta Cordura saddle. They are inexpensive at $250, they are light enough for an 11 year old to lift up on a tall horse, and I'm not going to get upset if they spill pop or something on it.

Edited by Painted Horse 2005-07-14 12:32 AM
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-07-14 2:39 PM (#28068 - in reply to #28039)

Extreme Veteran

I read one the threads that asked about a horse that keeps changing. The saddles that come to mind are a Synergist http://www.synergistsaddles.com/ which are really expensive but extremely comfortable and, what I ride in, a Marciante http://www.trailsaddles.net/ which are reasonable and also very comfortable. Both saddles can be sent back to the manufacturer and be "refit" to a horse. I've had one of my Marciante's refitted and I'm fixing to have my other done. They are very well balanced and very comfortable and they are all custom made. And I have to agree, get the padded stirrups.

Safe Riding,
Todd
j5mike
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-08-25 6:01 PM (#29608 - in reply to #25357)

OK, I ran across a tucker on ebay and could'nt resist.  I bought the Old West style and it is very nice, maybe a little heavy for me but I can manage.  I had been looking at buying the Circle Y Flex lite  because it was  beautifully tooled and looked comfortable.  But after sitting in it at the tack store, it was too small and with ordering and shipping charges, I lost interest. Along came the Tucker. So I just went on a 15 mile ride Sunday and was well pleased.  NO SORE SPOTS!  Definitely a trail riders dream. 
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)