'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Help stop Suicide Race

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-29 12:38 PM
30 replies, 8205 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-08-02 1:32 AM (#28769 - in reply to #26070)
Subject: RE: Help stop Suicide Race

It has nothing to do with NA custom, the race was started 30 or 50 odd years ago by the rodeo, its a publicity stunt. No mention of this race has ever been found ANY WHERE before this rodeo came along. And by going to the rodeo you are supporting the race, becouse guess who started it? and guess whose supplying the horses, and the prize money. 61
Its abuse, I know if I got a bunch of horses and started renting them out to a bunch of drunks to ride down a moutain, that I would be shut down in a heart beat and accused of abuse. They are only claiming NA tradition so that doesnt happen.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-08-02 1:35 AM (#28770 - in reply to #26070)

It has nothing to do with NA custom, the race was started 30 or 50 odd years ago by the rodeo, its a publicity stunt. No mention of this race has ever been found ANY WHERE before this rodeo came along. And by going to the rodeo you are supporting the race, becouse guess who started it? and guess whose supplying the horses, and the prize money. 61
Its abuse, I know if I got a bunch of horses and started renting them out to a bunch of drunks to ride down a moutain, that I would be shut down in a heart beat and accused of abuse. They are only claiming NA tradition so that doesnt happen.
relay101
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-08-02 10:56 AM (#28778 - in reply to #26070)

Veteran

The omak race is in fact based on native american tradition. The Colville Reservation is across the river from Omak. The Keller Mountain Race is a tradition for the Indian people there. Only in the 30s was the race commericalized by two stockman to promote the city of Omak.

In addition, care is taken. Horses and riders have to pass three tests to demonstrate their ability to run in the race and navigate the river. First there's an initial vet check to make sure the animals are sound physically. Then there's a swim test to ensure horses can cross the river -which usually by race time in August is low enough to run through. Finally there's the hill test. Riders take their horses off the hill at a controlled lope to prove that the animals won't give way to fear at the brink.

Everyone needs to get the facts and get their stories straight before they start attacking.
verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-08-08 2:47 PM (#28978 - in reply to #26070)

Regular

Unfortunately the Horses do not have a say on whether or not they wish to participate in this race. It's crazy. Obviously those that ride in this race do not value their horses. I would love to know if any of the horses that are ridden in the race have been owned by the riders for any length of time. I would bet these horses are purchased cheap just prior to the race. Anyone that values their horse would not risk then getting seriously injured or dying for a race. WRITE LETTERS TO THOSE THAT SUPPORT THE RACE. DON'T BUY THE SUPPORTERS PRODUCTS. MAKE OTHERS AWARE OF THIS RACE. YOUR FRIENDS WILL BE HORRIFIED!
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-08-28 9:31 PM (#29694 - in reply to #26070)

Veteran

Whew!  What a bunch of negativity this one has spawned! I would like to write, and suggest that my entire email list write, to stop the race. Because horse racing is a mess doesn't mean the suicide race isn's ALSO a mess. 

If anyone has a complete list of email addresses for all the parties who should be written, in this day and age ... you really have to supply those when you request letters.  Please send them to me.  THANKS!

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-08-29 12:38 PM (#29717 - in reply to #26070)

If you go to the original posting you will find the website address which lists the name of companies sponsoring the suicide race.Subject : Help stop Suicide Race
Posted : 2005-06-04 11:42 AM
Post #26070

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every year the local rodeo, called the Omak Stampede, boasts of its main attraction "The World-Famous Omak Suicide Race." The race regularly and routinely kills horses.

Over a span of four days and nights, riders repeatedly send horses off "Suicide Hill" with a 120-foot full-galloping start. Horses plunge more than 210 feet downhill, at a slope organizers have boasted is an "almost vertical…62 degree angle." At breakneck speed horses then meet, with crushing force, the rocky Okanogan River. After a panicked swim of more than a football field in length, the horses face a final, grueling uphill sprint.

These horses, many 'on-loan' for the event, have suffered heart attacks, broken bones and even horrifying death by drowning.

For the past 21 years, PAWS has been monitoring the race and working to raise awareness and evoke action to end it. In that time, 20 deaths have been documented; in 2004, three horses were killed in the first heat alone.

"The most barbaric, inhumane spectacle of the twentieth century... an affront to all cowboys, equestrians and humanitarians." - Dr. Michael Fox, former V.P., Humane Society of the United States.

For background on the race, to view footage taken from the 2002 race
and more, please visit

http://www.suiciderace.com/
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'