'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Where are the best places to ride during the hottest part of summer in TN & KY

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-12 1:36 PM
11 replies, 5007 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-06-13 4:01 PM (#26495)
Subject: Where are the best places to ride during the hottest part of summer in TN & KY

Regular

I was just wondering where people like to camp and ride during the hottest part of the summer. What places in the Tennessee and Kentucky areas have plenty of shaded trails? What campgrounds are best suited for hot weather? I would appreciate your recommendations. Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-06-16 3:35 PM (#26698 - in reply to #26495)
Subject: RE: Where are the best places to ride during the hottest part of summer in TN & KY

Extreme Veteran

We went to East Fork last July and it wasn't too bad, heat wise. I would recommend that you lock your trailer hitch there though if you intend on leaving your camp site. Other than that there are plenty of shaded trails. It's a very nice place.

http://www.eastforkstables.com/index.html

Safe Riding,
Todd
smoothride
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-06-16 5:20 PM (#26707 - in reply to #26495)
Subject: RE: Where are the best places to ride during the hottest part of summer in TN & KY

Regular

Drive a little farther and go to Zenith campgrounds at Big South Fork.  It is only an additional 20 minutes past East Fork.  Ride the old railroad bed and it is cool along the river.  Gary Mathews is the owner there and will ride out on the trail with you.  It is a wonderful place to stay
LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-06-16 6:25 PM (#26708 - in reply to #26698)

Regular

Just curious why you said to lock up your hitch. Have there been theft problems there??? It always amazes me when I hear stories of people just driving off with other people's trailers. It's such a shame we have to worry about such things. Thanks for the info though.
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-06-21 3:49 PM (#26880 - in reply to #26708)

Extreme Veteran

Unfortunately yes, our trailer was stolen from East Fork, but the folks there did everything they could to accomedate us, they even refunded our money, bought our feed and hay, even arranged horse transportation back home to Texas (we declined that cause it was a bit expensive) It's ashame that people have to ruin it for others. Just to let you know they did catch the people who did it and they are now in prison.

Safe Riding,
Todd
Betsy
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-23 11:25 PM (#27015 - in reply to #26495)

Have you been to Red Hill in Livingston, Kentucky? It is a horse camp which adjoins the Daniel Boone National Forest. They have many shaded campsites and lots of wooded trails. To get to some of the trails, you would have to do some road riding, which would be in the sun, but most of the trails are in the woods. Of course, in the summer you can expect lots of flies. I think that the HorseandMuleTrails website has information on this campground. If not, I would be glad to look it up for you if you are interested.
headinhomeafter3
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-05 4:06 PM (#27630 - in reply to #26495)

New User

We go to Wrangler Campgound at Land Between the Lakes. It is a great place to go. It is a friendly environment and they have tons to do other than trail rides. They usually have a dance one night and a rodeo type deal another night. It is a great place to go. The trails are shaded and there is even a river, stream type place to cool off. It is safe to ride the horses in however, it is crystal blue and has rocks on the bottom, no mud. It is great. The rates are reasonable also. They have wash racks, a restaurant, a cafeteria, cabins, and many stalls.
PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-05 6:19 PM (#27637 - in reply to #26495)

Regular

If you do a search, you can find several campgrounds in Big South Fork, TN  I've heard the trails up on the Plateau are Fantabulous.

I've recently applied for a yearly permit to ride on Carter Mountain (on the Plateau just outside Winchester, TN.  It looks to be on the remote side, so I WILL be locking my truck and trailer when I go up there.  And if I can get close to the guard's shack, I won't worry too much.

There's a web site for Land-Between-The-Lakes, KY (LBL) that will link to Wrangler's Campground.  Nice restaurant, but I've never had the chance to ride there.

Also there's Long C Trails in Westmoreland, TN.  I do remember their web site:  http://www.longctrails.com  I have ridden there.  They have several levels of riding, INCLUDING Mule Trails that are 90% in the woods, with plenty of fast running creeks to swim the horses and let them drink.  They have primitive camping and camping with electric, plus a cabin or two, I think.  Also have stalls for rent, if you don't want to picket your horse. Don't have to fret over leaving your rig either. 

Hope this helps someJudy

Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-05 6:33 PM (#27639 - in reply to #26495)

Regular

We just got back from riding in the Big South Fork.  Stayed at Honey Creek Campground. Nice place, nice people.  Recommend it highly.  We were almost always in the shade.  The Big South Fork is a MUST see.  Loved it.

Natzie Trace is very shady, campground and trails.  As for LBL, most of their camp sites are not shaded, but if you don't go during a busy week end, you should be able to get a shady site.

Buffalo River Trail Ride is very nice, lots of shade and serveral creeks to cross and acoarse you are camped right by the Buffalo River. 

Happy Trails

Brenda

LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-07-05 6:34 PM (#27640 - in reply to #27637)

Regular

Thanks Judy for the info. I have actually ridden at Long C several times since it's only about 50 minutes from my house. I do like it there, but I find that the trails are not marked that well and have gotten lost a few times. I have not tried any of the other places you mentioned yet, but hope to someday. Thanks again!
DuallyNewt
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-07-09 12:54 PM (#27830 - in reply to #26698)

Maccwall, When did your trailer get stolen from Eastfork??

Edited by DUALLYNEWT 2005-07-09 12:56 PM
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-07-12 1:36 PM (#27965 - in reply to #27830)

Extreme Veteran

Last year in mid July.

Safe Riding,
Todd
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format