'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailering a horse overnight

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-29 6:03 PM
12 replies, 15434 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

revdecan
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-04 10:06 AM (#27570)
Subject: Trailering a horse overnight

New User

Thanks for anyone's help with these questions-I am a total rookie at this:

1.  Can horses sleep in trailer overnight--two horse bumper pull?  For two or three nights?

There will be two horses that would be used durning the day to follow field trial brittanys.  I am wondering if I can bring horses to field trials, work the trials and then go to motel and leave the horses in trailer?  Obviously feeding, watering and caring for horses well during what would be a long weekend.  Travel could be 5-800 miles both ways. 

Is this just out of the question?  Do they need to be tied out?  How do they sleep?  Standing or laying down?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-04 1:56 PM (#27573 - in reply to #27570)
Subject: RE: Trailering a horse overnight

Expert

Please don't put them in a trailer all night long.  If you had a huge gooseneck and the horses could have multiple "slots" I'd say maybe.

I think some of our camp/trail people can help you learn how to tie up a picket line and have your horses sleep in comfort and safety.

Have you looked into an overnight stable in that area?

revdecan
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-04 5:49 PM (#27578 - in reply to #27573)

New User

Thank you for your concern.  I have not done so--was asking if it was reasonable or not. 

Does anyone out there leave horses in trailer overnight? A two horse bumper pull? 

I seem to note some people trailer horses for 24 hours straight without removing them?

Thanks

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-07-04 6:32 PM (#27581 - in reply to #27578)

Expert

some horses sleep standing up and some don't.  If you are riding them they may prefer to lay down.  I wouldn't do it to my horses.  If you are traveling then not taking them out is usually safer, but to use them all day and then lock them up in a trailer overnight....  Especially if you are in a hotel room where you can't hear them.  I don't think it would be safe or fair for you to ask it of your horses.  Look for a fairground or over night boarding facility.  Or a vets office, all the vets I've used have boarding.
PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-05 8:48 AM (#27597 - in reply to #27570)

Regular

1.  I would never leave my horses in a trailer overnight.

1.1  I especially wouldn't do that and go to a motel.

1.1.1  The horses are at high risk for serious injury.

1.1.2  The horses are at high risk to be stolen; might as well leave a flashing neon sign on the trailer saying "we're alone, and no one's watching".

2.  Serious event riders with little extra time, like Endurance riders, have been known to haul 24 hours straight.  The horses are conditioned and used to those long hauls and so are their drivers.

2.1  I believe some horse haulers might also do that.

2.2  I've been cross-country twice with my horses; two of whom are in their high teens.  I did lay ups every 550 or so miles.  Two lay ups were B&B's.

3.  Please check out http://www.horsemotel.com and http://www.horseandmuletrails.com

3.1  Oftentimes, boarding barns, training facilities, and fairgrounds will do overnight layups.

4.  In this day and age of the traveling horse, there is no reason to have to lock a horse in a trailer overnight, with no room to move around, possibly go into panic, or not even be in that trailer when you got back to it the next morning.

revdecan
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-05 2:04 PM (#27622 - in reply to #27570)

New User

Thanks to you everyone who responded.  I think I have it.  Trailering overnight, unattended is a no no.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-05 10:42 PM (#27650 - in reply to #27570)

Expert

Another thought, some horses won't pee in a trailer.  Imagine standing there all night "holding it."

I'm glad you have asked and taken some advice.  Your horses will love you more.

Just a pasing idea.  Have you looked into portable pens that attach to the sides of the trailer?

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-28 8:12 AM (#28641 - in reply to #27570)

Expert

Not much to add, other than search ALL the web sites that list overnight stabling. Search for other topics on long distance trailering, multi day trips, overnight, etc. I guess overnight stables/B&Bs sign up with the first web listing they hear about, a few are on several listings but not the majority.

http://www.bbonline.com/horse.html
has worked well for me. I've found places where I could stay and hear the horses from the bedroom - and call back to them to settle down {shuddup} (-:
OK, sometimes its a few more bux than fairgrounds and a motel 5 miles down the road, but to me it has been worth it. It isn't always more money, some places include the stabling for "free", they somehow absorb it into your room rate.

Edited by Reg 2005-07-28 8:24 AM
Webb
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-27 12:22 AM (#29657 - in reply to #27570)

New User

No horse can sleep standing up. They can only nap standing. A horse sleeps off all 4 feet around 8 hours a day. If a horse falls asleep standing it falls on its butt.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-27 7:54 PM (#29665 - in reply to #27570)

Expert

Horse can sleep standing up- alot of horses, drafts for example, are stabled in tie stalls. I have used tie stalls before and the horses are no worse for the wear. Overnight stabling is a good idea IF they are clean and safe- you'd want to see them first.  I see no risk for "serious" injury if we are talking about horses that aren't kickers or fighters ( if they don't get along in small spaces) in the first place.  if the horse has room in the trailer to pee, they will. ( most smaller two horses might not depending on the horse) I understand the concern but horses aren't people- some we transfer our desires to them. Its up to you- it could work under the right circumstances.
Webb
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-27 10:15 PM (#29667 - in reply to #27570)

New User

The period of sleep spent standing is called "slow wave sleep" and is a shallow-depth sleep a nap or napping. When a horse feels fully relaxed, it will enter into REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. In this phase, horses sleep soundly and can even whinny, snore or twitch their eyes. To attain the REM state, a horse must lie down. Belive me I know a horse is a horse and I am a people. A hourse can stand for around 3 days without REM sleep then he/shes going down. The problem would be knowing when the horse had its last REM sleep how long it was and how much it needs being worked all day.

Edited by Webb 2005-08-27 10:30 PM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-27 11:09 PM (#29669 - in reply to #27570)

Expert

we tend to assume that if we ( people) would be upset or uncomfortable, then a horse must be too and thats not always the case.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-29 6:03 PM (#29731 - in reply to #29669)

Expert

Here is another cause for concern... if the horses are in the trailer and the person goes to the motel, will they unhook their tow vehicle to go to the motel?  in that case

ABSOLUTELY - POSITIVELY do NOT leave horses in a trailer that is NOT attached, securely to a trailer.

So far as sleeping flat out on their side. Not all horses are capable of doing that because of illnesses or injury. Many horses LIVE in tie stalls and can only lay down partially (not flat out).
horses that are alone and do not feel secure in their surroundings may not lay flat out either.

But a horse in work should be allowed the freedom of MOVEMENT to help their circulation and prevent other problems.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)