'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Mt Rogers VA

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-22 10:11 AM
13 replies, 7818 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mud_dog
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-07-04 2:50 PM (#27576)
Subject: Mt Rogers VA

Regular

Hi,  I would like some opinions about riding in the Mt. Rogers area of VA.  I would specifically like to know about the High Country Horse Camp.  We have a large group of friends going in a few weeks and now some are backing out because the campsites are too small and close together and some say the trails are very rocky.  Has anyone stayed at this camp?  Are there any other camps in the area that you like better and why. Now we don't know what to do... hate to drive 5 hours and have a bad time.  Thanks for your input....Mud Dog
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-07-04 5:28 PM (#27577 - in reply to #27576)
Subject: RE: Mt Rogers VA

Elite Veteran

We went to Rocky hollow horse camp Memorial Day.  The camp was tricky to get into.  The campsite was trickier to get into. 

Yes, the trails were rocky in places.  I can;t wait to go back.  I would probably consider the same camp.

Do it!!

DuallyNewt
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-07-05 6:39 PM (#27641 - in reply to #27576)

Went there this past weekend (the 4th) we go there often.The mtn. is rocky but they are other trails.But ride across the top at least once you will love the views & wild ponies.It is just 1 1/2 hours from here ( Johnson City, Tn. ).. Good Luck

Edited by DUALLYNEWT 2005-07-05 6:46 PM
mud_dog
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-07-05 7:17 PM (#27644 - in reply to #27576)

Regular

Duallynewt,

Thanks for the info.  What campground did you stay at if any?  Was it hard to get into and park?

Thanks, Mud Dog

martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-07-05 9:39 PM (#27647 - in reply to #27576)

Veteran

We stayed at High Country Horse Camp 2 years ago. The campsites are smaller but OK and most of them are on a gentle slope...also no picnic tables when we were there. There is very little shade though. While we were there, we took a truck ride around to the Grayson Highlands VA state park. We made reservations to stay there this year and are going the 3rd week in July. The state park horsecamp looked very nice. Large shaded lots although close together, and covered tie stalls for the horses. Also the mountain trails area more accessable from Grayson. Riding from Highcountry takes about 1 hour just to get up to the main trail area of Mount Rogers. The trails in areas are extremly rocky and are very hard on horses feet. Well shod horses with tough feet are a necessity. The scenery is fantastic up on the mountains.

When we went there the first time it rained every day. We rode in a steady hard rain one day for 8 hours. The next day we rode the same trails and the sky cleared and the view was great. Also the laural and/or rhodidedrum (sp) were blooming I think it was in June. Also the groups of ponies are a treat. Marty.
trailady
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-07-07 8:05 PM (#27758 - in reply to #27644)

if you want to read some up to date info on mt.rogers and camps available/  go to northcarolinahorsenews web site.  scroll down to forum for trail/leisure.  there is a thread there on hi-country horsecamp and the grayson-highlands area. shoes on horses are a must and horses must be in condition for higher elevations.  do not ride without a trail map!!!!!!     hope this helps some.   Elaine
Lankyman
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-07-08 10:36 AM (#27782 - in reply to #27576)

Regular

I was up there from 07/01/05 thru 07/04/05.  I stayed at the Grayson Highlands State Park campground that has the stable.  One thing that I did not like about the stables was that almost all of the stalls were toooo small for a full sized horse to turn around in.  Someone obviously designed the stalls with making money in mind instead of the safety of the horses there.  They have some stalls that are covered & also some that are just regular wooden slat stalls that are open air stalls.  The problem with the open air stalls, not only the too small size, is that a horse can not get away from another horse that might be beside them in the next stall if it decides to kick at or bit them.  Also, all of the stalls at this stable are on concrete.  They do not allow highlines or panels behind your campsite.  At this campground, you have to use their stalls.  The trip over all was wonderful.  The disappointment of the stall situation was the only thing I did not like about the park.  We rode 8.5+ hours on Saturday, 4.5+ hours on Sunday & 2.5+ hours on Monday before we had to pack up to leave.  Make sure that you take rain gear because they are prone to have quick showers roll through that can drop the temperature 15+ degrees.  Also, they can have some thick fog, so let someone know where you are going to be riding before you head out & also let then know when you expect to return.  Most of the trails are well marked, but if you get up on top in some of the grassy meadows, the trails can be hard to see, especially in the fog.  Make sure you have shoes on all 4 of your horse's feet, since there are some rocky sections.  We saw probably 125+ wild ponies while we were riding.  They were amazing.  Lots of them had twin colts that seemed to be doing fine out in the wild.  There were some beautiful color phases - spotted, grays, black & some others.  The manes & tails were longer on those ponies than I have seen on some full sized horses.  Ha, ha!!  It was a great trip & I would suggest going up there to anyone that has a chance to go.  The elevation is about 5,700'+ on top of the mountain, so you might want to be prepared if you go in the fall / winter / early spring months.  One guy mentioned that they lost a few wild ponies a few years ago because they got over 4' of snow that year.  For my trip, the temps were from the low 60's at night into the low / mid 80's.  The humidity was not bad at all, compared to the killer humidity we have here in SC.  Ha, ha!!  It rained Sunday & we had some showers on Monday, but we only had to use raingear on Sunday afternoon.  I also heard that they try to do a round-up of the ponies each year & sell some of the babies to keep the herd in check & also so they can check on the health of the animals.  Here is a web site that you might want to take a look at.  I am not sure about the other campgrounds / horse stalls that are there.  Good luck & have a safe trip.  It is a nice place up there.

http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/graysonh.htm

DuallyNewt
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-07-08 7:24 PM (#27810 - in reply to #27644)

Mud-dog (are you the same Mud-Dog from The Diesel Stop ?)

We stayed at High Country H.C. We have been going there for 10 years, its pretty cool & they now offer shuttle service for you & horse so they will take you to Fox Creek or Grason Highlands then you ride back to camp.. Let me know of some good campgrounds in the Smokies Please...Thanks

Edited by DUALLYNEWT 2005-07-08 8:22 PM
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-07-10 7:15 AM (#27860 - in reply to #27576)

Veteran

Just a note on the stalls at grayson highlands, these are advertised a tie stalls. They are not designed to turn around inside.  We recently rode at a large camp in Pennsylvania and they had the same type of stalls.  Most horses have no problems usiing these stalls if they are accustomed to standing tied for long periods.
mud_dog
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-07-10 7:21 AM (#27861 - in reply to #27576)

Regular

No, I'm a different Mud Dog.  Wish I could tell you some good campgrounds in the Smokies.  The ones inside the park are all primative with tie stalls and pit toilets.  And the ones outside the park (privately owned) you have to  shuttle or drive to the trails.  They just don't make it easy for horse back riders in the Smokies like they do at Big South Fork.  Since I live close to the Smokies and haven't tried to camp there, Maybe I'm not the best resource for that.  Maybe someone else can help.
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-27 9:07 PM (#28626 - in reply to #27861)

Regular

I haven't been to Mt Rogers yet, but plan on going.  My response is about the Smokies.  We just spent 10 days riding in the Smokies and really enjoyed it.  We stayed at Big Creek Campground, primitive, but very nice bathrooms, no showers, but sink, and regular toilets.  Water easily available.  So, if you have a generator, Big Creek is pretty doable.

We left there and went to Round Bottom, no water, and Johnny on the Spots, just as Mud Dog said.  But the riding out of there was really good.

The trails are marked great.  Alot of history in the Smokies.  We had bought a book on the trails, written by a hiker.  But very informative.  We got it at one of the Ranger Stations.  I suggest you do that, it makes your riding more interesting.

We saw 2 bear cubs, didin't see Mama bear, we kept our distance and let them run away.  We saw elk.  Just a great trip.  Suggest it to anyone.

martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-07-29 4:06 PM (#28698 - in reply to #28626)

Veteran

A group of us (19 horses) just returned from Grayson Highlands VA state park that is on the south corner side of the Mount Rogers area. We really liked this campground. Covered tie stalls for the horses, open tie stalls also. Nice covered campsights with elec and water hookup. Only slight inconvienance was that there are no horses allowed in the campground proper, but we simple loaded the tack in the back of the p/u trucks and drove up to the barn parking lot (about 35 yards) and left them there while we rode. Worked out great. The campsite cleans and rebeds the stalls mon-wed-fri mornings if you are there to remove your horse. Otherwise there is a pile of shavings there. Water is at the barn and you can wash down your horse. The trail access from the park is really great, you dont have to cross some of the more rocky trails to get the the major area of riding. Plus the wild ponys were great. Good time. Marty.
sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-30 9:28 PM (#28722 - in reply to #27576)

Veteran

The Smokies....  The prettiest and best for me is at Cataloochee.  Tie stalls and out house and level camping by a gorgouse mountain stream or small river.  There are several trails leading out of the camp.  You don't have to ride the same trail out every day like you do at High Country and big Creek.  It is gorgeous but there are a lot of skinny trails on the side of the mountain.  The road in there is 45 minutes of hairpin turns down a road that was made for one lane traffic but it is two lane.  It is worth the effort.  I hope I get to go again.  The Elk and bear and turkeys are plentiful. 

Mt Rogers.... I go to Iron Mountain Horse camp.  There are stalls for your horses and electircity for camping and even a bath house.  The trails begin right off the property.  276-744-2056

Edited by sable812 2005-07-30 9:29 PM
ghosthorselady
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-09-22 10:11 AM (#30794 - in reply to #27576)

I just returned from the wild pony roundup at Mt. Rogers. The auction is on Saturday. Ohhhh, but did I want to take some of the little ones home with me !! Wasn't prepared to witness the babies being separated from their mommas though. The mares are in foal again, and momma with a nursing baby most likely would not survive the severe winter.

Also rode some new to me trails on the south west side of Mt. Rogers.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)