'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Buffalo River, AR

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-17 2:02 PM
8 replies, 5174 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-05 6:44 PM (#27643)
Subject: Buffalo River, AR

Regular

Looking for information about camping and riding the Buffalo River area in Ark.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
missygirl
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-14 10:11 PM (#29204 - in reply to #27643)
Subject: RE: Buffalo River, AR

New User

dear issie,

I just now found this fourm, but there is a book at there call The Buffalo River and Surrounding watershed, by l.r. alexander and helen elsner.

it has gps coordinates for the trails. i found mine in the amish country in mo. i haven't been anywhere but i heard its really pretty by trail. i just seen the buffalo by car.  

happy trails

missygirl

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-08-24 9:09 PM (#29584 - in reply to #27643)

Extreme Veteran

Haven't been there in about 12 years but it is beautiful country with nice trails. Only thing that concerned me was last time we kept seeing helicopters hovering areas adjacent to trails. Figured maybe someone was lost or had lost their mount. Inquiries to the locals said it was the DEA looking for marijuana which was the largest cultivated cash crop in this part of area. Made me pretty nervous after knowing that. Locals strongly advised that we not wander off trail for any reason. Said these guys play REAL hardball. Who knows, may have changed by now but I would inquire locally before going out.
RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-14 11:40 AM (#30369 - in reply to #27643)

Regular

Welcome to rural america. I'll take the pot growers over the meth labs anyday. While living in AR, I found that the people who live in the area you are talking about, like their privacy and like to tell stories to scare strangers. Some of it may be true but not all the stories are.

We have friends who ride at the Buffalo alot and recommend it for the scenery. The Arkansas Trail Riding Club has rides up there all the time.

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-09-15 8:45 PM (#30435 - in reply to #30369)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by RbarL on 2005-09-14 11:40 AM

Welcome to rural america. I'll take the pot growers over the meth labs anyday. While living in AR, I found that the people who live in the area you are talking about, like their privacy and like to tell stories to scare strangers. Some of it may be true but not all the stories are.

You may be right about the locals funnin' us flatland touristers. However, I want NOTHING to do with the pot growers or methbusters either one. I have run across some of the portable car trunk meth labs at LBJ Nat'l and all I can do is back out and run like H***. Forest Service has now provided me with communications to call them if I run across any more. If I tell someone to be careful in certain out of the way places there I'm not funnin' and I like my privacy also.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-15 10:38 PM (#30443 - in reply to #27643)

Issie

Look at Horse and Mule Trail Guide USA.  We'll be glad to go with you all;  and we got a gps!  Don't know how to use it but we have it!

RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-16 8:16 AM (#30456 - in reply to #30435)

Regular

"Originally written by Longrider on 2005-09-15 8:45 PM

You may be right about the locals funnin' us flatland touristers. However, I want NOTHING to do with the pot growers or methbusters either one. I have run across some of the portable car trunk meth labs at LBJ Nat'l and all I can do is back out and run like H***. Forest Service has now provided me with communications to call them if I run across any more. If I tell someone to be careful in certain out of the way places there I'm not funnin' and I like my privacy also."

I agree with you on wanting nothing to do with either of those groups and damn sure don't want to meet any on the trail. That is good news about the Forest Service giving you contact info. Everyone should have that for any emergency on the trail.

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-16 12:59 PM (#30470 - in reply to #27643)

Elite Veteran

Issie, We have visited the Buffalo River Area twice with the last trip made last year. There are two primitive horse camps located within the park.  The first is called Steel Creek and it is located near Ponca, AR. There are about 12 sites that are back-in only. There is one shared hydrant for water and bathrooms are primitive. Picket lines are available for horses. The road to get down to the camp is very steep and is gravel, so larger rigs have a difficult time winding down the hill. All campsites are non-reservable. The trails are very well marked, and Trails Illustrated makes a very good map with points of interest and milage. The second campground is called Erbie. There was not water available when we visited, but this may have changed. Call the ranger station to confirm water availability. The campground is a within a large open field. Roads are gravel too, but not too steep just some narrow spots over bridges. Trails from Erbie are less traveled. All of the Buffal River area is absolutely beautiful. If you get a chance take a day float trip too.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-17 2:02 PM (#30527 - in reply to #27643)

Issie:  Look at the topic "Missouri riding"  on this forum.  Pixley
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World