'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Looking for Rocky Mountain National Forest Area Horse Camps

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-01 4:18 PM
5 replies, 4479 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-07-20 11:16 PM (#28345)
Subject: Looking for Rocky Mountain National Forest Area Horse Camps

Elite Veteran

I am looking for a horse camp near Rocky Mountain Nat' Park area that offers electric/water hook-up and corrals/stalls for horses. I have already tried the usual sites such as horseandmule.com, trail rider magazine etc. Most places we are finding have rental horses, but no campsites for those wanting to take their own reliable mounts. The only site we found was a place called Winding River Resort. Has anyone stayed there???

Any info on other areas around central Colorado would be greatly appreciated. We are traveling from East Central Kansas, so we are wanting to keep travel time down to 2 days each way. So we are thinking North Central Colorado is far as we can go in one week.

Thanks, ponytammy

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-07-27 1:10 PM (#28609 - in reply to #28345)
Subject: RE: Looking for Rocky Mountain National Forest Area Horse Camps

Extreme Veteran

Through my searches when we were going to go there I found this place and it looks pretty nice.
http://www.windingriverresort.com/

Hope this helps,

Safe Riding,
Todd
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-07-27 4:37 PM (#28615 - in reply to #28609)

Elite Veteran

Todd, thanks for the site info. We decided yesterday to stay at this campground after much searching on the internet. I reviewed the RV sites for ratings and found that most folks gave it 4-5 star so I figure the horse camp area can't be too bad either. Once we are there we will try to locate other camps and post on the net for other trail riders to locate. We are fortunate here in Eastern Kansas that there are numerous horse camps in Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas and Illinois. We've been to all the major nat'l and state parks around here and are taking the plunge into Mountain area riding. I was surprised that there were not more dude ranches and B&Bs that catered to the "Bring your own living quarters and horse" trail rider. Sounds like a business opportunity huh? Thanks again.

-Tammy

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-07-27 6:16 PM (#28620 - in reply to #28615)

Extreme Veteran

When we went to Colorado 2 yrs ago, I looked at staying here but since our trailer at the time wasn't really equiped for a week and a half long campout I opted for a B & B in Salida. http://www.thetudorrose.com/
Their barn was nice, they provided the hay (nice Timothy grass) and over all was a great place to stay. We rode the Rainbow trail which backs up to their place. We trailered to a trail head and rode back. They took me back to the trailer and I drove it back when we got back from our ride. It was about 7 hours. We also trailered up to the old Monach pass and rode the continental divide trail. I know there are a couple of B & B's that cater to horses around that area. Here's some pics of our trip: http://community.webshots.com/album/76483997kWhJsk
We are wanting to go to RMNP at one point and will probably stay at the place I gave you the link for. I'd really like go ride up there.

Safe Riding,
Todd

Edited by maccwall 2005-07-27 6:19 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-31 2:22 PM (#28737 - in reply to #28345)

Expert

Most of the improved camp grounds don't allow horses. So most folks who live out here just pull into a primative camp and park their rig.  Tie the horses to the trailer or high line. Unlike some of the midwest and eastern states, A very large portion of the west is public land.  i.e Forest Service, BLM, or State.  And public access is pretty easy to find.

True there is no power hook ups. Bring your generator. And you are limited to what water you haul in.  So far the Forest Service doesn't prohibit camping at the trail heads. You may not be able to set up a tent, have a campfire etc at the trail head. But you can park you rig and if you can stay inside of it they usually don't say anything to you. Lots of trail heads in Utah & Wyoming have corrals that you can throw your horses in over night. Usually on a first come first serve. Although grazing permit holders usually get priority if they need the corrals. i.e. pushing sheep or cattle through the area.

And of course you need certified Weed Free feed when you are on public land. Hay cubes or pellets are usually the easiest to find and use.

Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-08-01 4:18 PM (#28754 - in reply to #28345)

Veteran

M Lazy C Ranch, Lake George, CO
look them up on the internet
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format