'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
re: pony foals and donkeys

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-13 1:49 PM
6 replies, 4510 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

equigal
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-07-21 10:09 AM (#28357)
Subject: re: pony foals and donkeys

Regular

Has anyone here had experience with donkeys and their behaviour with new born foals?I have a friend who has 2 well-bred reg. pony mares which are pastured with a donkey. She has limited paddocks and has been warned that she should remove the donkey from the mares pasture several days before the foals are due....We have heard that a donkey may kill the newborn sensing that it is an intruder into the herd.Does anyone know if this is fact?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-07-21 5:15 PM (#28396 - in reply to #28357)

Veteran

I am not a breeder, but I can post this question to some folks that would know. Tell us more about the donkey...female or male (intact?)?
equigal
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-07-22 7:29 AM (#28424 - in reply to #28396)

Regular

The donkey is female, standard size(not mini)...She has been pastured with the mares (reg. haflingers) for 1 year, so they are her herd.I have said to my friend that I would probably keep her separated from the new foals for at least a week...until they are really sturdy and bonded with mums....The donkey could be in an ajoining field so the she could see mares and foals....So, I guess the only concern is if the mares foal early or unexpected..1st time for both...Then they may be caught with the donkey in the pasture with them at foaling time..Guess salution is to remove the donkey well in advance..?? But we have a bit of a problem with brush wolves so hense, the need for the donkey in the first place.
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-07-22 11:14 AM (#28444 - in reply to #28357)

Veteran

Separation would be the best option, if possible. Every individual donkey is likely to be different. My first donkey came to me because she had a baby goat in it's mouth... one of goat herd she was supposed to be protecting, yet was absolutely great with little children. I took that donkey to school many times and did packing demonstrations. The kids loved her and she could have a dozen kids hanging around fussing with her.

Another story I've heard about a donkey that foaled in a herd of other donkeys is that the others circled around the foaling jenny (possibly for protection?). And at 3 in the morning when the foal was born all the donkeys started braying (with joy?).

I think the donks are pretty sensible creatures for the most part. My feeling is that they would be aware that it was part of the herd, but may also feel the need to mother/boss a foal around.

LFEquines
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-11 4:59 AM (#30171 - in reply to #28357)

I don't have any personal experience with donkeys but several friends have and said the donkey may try to "steal" the foal from it's momma and prevent it from nursing. I would separate, better to be safe than sorry.
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-09-11 10:28 PM (#30199 - in reply to #28357)

Elite Veteran

My neighbor had a BLM Jack who killed 2 baby goats and one mama.  I witnessed one murder, as did my neighbor.  Not a pretty sight.  The jack has a new home.  I would remove the donkey jennett or jack just to be on the safe side!
equigal
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-09-13 1:49 PM (#30293 - in reply to #28357)
Subject: re: pony foals and donkeys (update)

Regular

Well,There is an update...The foals arrived withing one week of each other....a little stud colt and a filly.We separated the mares from the donkey about 3 days before the 1st baby was born. They were allowed a "sniff through the fence " period of about 2 weeks...then the mares and foals were put with the donkey...Nothing negative happened....the mares were not upset to see the babies go to the donkey and the donkey has been wonderful with the foals. We have even watched a baby chew the donkey's ear while she was trying to eat....no aggression...just patience shown!She has turned into a wonderful "foal-sitter" and I am sure she will make weaning time easier....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)