'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Opinions on best joint supplements for aged horses.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-21 1:30 PM
8 replies, 4523 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-08-08 11:11 AM (#28965)
Subject: Opinions on best joint supplements for aged horses.

Regular

Hello once again folks. I'm interested in finding out what other people give their aged riding companions as far as supplements. I have a 21 year old Saddle horse who is in pretty good shape, but he has slowed down over the last few years and I only want the best care for him. (He only get ridden once in a great while) I have  had him on several Joint supplements in the past and they do seem to help, but I just wanted to know what people thought the best ones were. Do you think price really matters? Some are quite a bit more expensive then others, so I don't know if they're actually better or if your just paying for a name. Right now I'm using Majesty's Flex Cookies and he loves them, but they'er pretty basic as far as ingredients. I have tried powder supplements, but he has gotten smart to that only only eats his grain out of the dish and leaves the powder. I know there are pelleted supplements to, I just don't know who makes them. Anyway, get back to me with your opinions when you get the chance. Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-08 1:23 PM (#28973 - in reply to #28965)
Subject: RE: Opinions on best joint supplements for aged horses.

Extreme Veteran

My 30 year old mare is on Cosequin and is doing very well on it. I am pleased with this product although that is all she has been on for the past 5 years so I can't compare with another product. THis is a powdered product but mixes in well with her senior horse feed. She eats it right up.  I also get this product at veterinarian's cost.

There are other good products out there. You can look at some on http://www.smartpakequine.com/ and see their selections with customers opinions.

Edited by MIfarmbabe 2005-08-08 1:25 PM
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-08 2:59 PM (#28980 - in reply to #28965)

Expert

I use GLC 5500.  IT is like Cosequin but not as expensive.  It is still a bit pricey though.  A tub cost about $116 and should last 3 months.  It is a powder but must taste ok because both my geriatric dog and my horse ate it and never noticed.
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-08-08 3:43 PM (#28984 - in reply to #28980)

Extreme Veteran

Have my old man (25 yrs young) and my wifes barrel horse on Smooth Run. It's a bit pricey as well (It think about $190.00 for the large size that lasts about 5mo.) Seems to work just fine and he's a lesson horse at the barn. I think exercise is also a key on keeping joints maintained. Nothing excessive, like I said mine is a lesson horse for the beginners (get's worked about once a day 4 days a week) mostly walking and trotting in the round pen. He is in excellent shape.

Hope this helps.

Safe Riding,
Todd
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-08 6:01 PM (#28990 - in reply to #28965)

Elite Veteran

Corta-Flex pellets.  can be purchased through Jeffers.  My horse can also pick through the powder, but eats these right up.  This was recommended by my vet
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-08-08 6:07 PM (#28991 - in reply to #28965)

Expert

My old man was on a pelletd feed and would blow the powder off and just eat the pellets.  I started adding a bit of corn oil so the powder would stick to the pellets and he would lick the oil off the bottom of the tub.  It's been a year since he went, and I've forgotten the name of the stuff I gave him. 
hidden
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-08-19 10:32 AM (#29387 - in reply to #28965)

I give my 27yr old conquer gel... seems to work ok, but keeping him working out is best.  He is 24/7 pasture so I can't do feed supplements (other horses), the conquer I give him.   As long as I give him a ride a couple of times a week (stretching him out with w/t/c and some leg yeilds etc) he seems to be doing well. 
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-08-19 11:25 PM (#29420 - in reply to #28965)

Elite Veteran

We use only two major supplements. For joints on our older horses we use Fluid-Flex liquid. For performance we use Opti-Horse. Neither are cheap, but both work well.
ghosthorselady
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-09-21 1:30 PM (#30743 - in reply to #28965)

My vet gave me "Tri-Rides IV" for my 20 yr. old Arabian, Hank, previous dressage horse who became my patrol horse in the Mt. Rogers NRA. It costs around $100 a bottle, lasts around 3 months.  It is a compounded drug made by Galar Compound Pharmacy. It is injected into the jugular, my vet taught me how to do IVs. It worked miracles for Hank. I used Adequan & Legend both on my daughters dressage horse. Tri-Rides is leap years ahead of both and not as expensive as Legend.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)