'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
moon blindnesssss

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-10 6:59 PM
8 replies, 3794 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-08-16 11:35 PM (#29286)
Subject: moon blindnesssss

what do i do, i love her so much, she is a horse of life of one. i need help , i cry, some people want me to put her, down,
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-17 8:15 AM (#29290 - in reply to #29286)
Subject: RE: moon blindnesssss

Expert

I had a pony that went blind and adjusted quite well to it.  She could sense where the pasture fence was and would stay about 12' away from it.  When I called her, she would run towards my voice and stop when she was about 5' away.  Then I'd just go and touch her face and she followed my hand.  Eventually, we did put her down but not because of the blindness.  She had a major stroke.  Neat pony though!  She was all white and very fat so we called her Crisco.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-17 9:10 AM (#29294 - in reply to #29286)

Extreme Veteran

Has your veterinarian diagnosed your horse with this? Your vet can give you the best guidance for your horse's condition and other people that have gone through this. Recently my neighbor's POA was diagnosed with moon blindness. While initially the owners were heartbroken, they have decided to deal with the issue and make the pony as comfortable as possible. They are still showing this POA and he is doing super.

Sorry to hear of your horse's problem but remember it isn't a death sentence, just make the most of your horse's companionship right now!!! Good luck!

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-08-17 7:51 PM (#29324 - in reply to #29286)

I would definitly not put ur baby down, if you notice he's not doing well and getting dramticly hurt, try reajusting some things, if it continues and he is not happy then try a open pasture w nothing in it, and a hotwire, they make a sound so he can no where the boundry is.
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-18 8:17 AM (#29337 - in reply to #29286)

Veteran

I agree that moonblindness isn't a death sentence, but in time it will take your horses's sight completely.  My 18 year old Appaloosa was diagnosed "officially" by the vet this year.  We have noticed things about his sight for almost a year, but this year it's really noticable.  My gelding has a bacteria called Leptospirosis that has caused his moon blindness.  It's one of those things that follows certain horse breeds or color.  Appaloosa's, and horses that are white are most effected.  My appie is black and white:-)   I have even noticed his nice black pigment around his eyes has turned pink this year.  The best that I can do is try to keep him safe.  We don't move stuff on him and we keep him confined in a small pen at night.  I was riding him up until 2 weeks ago when we realized that he's just too spooky to ride safely.  He prances and dances the entire ride because he's scared of what he can't see.  I just think it's best to retire him and not take a chance on hurting myself, him or someone else. 

Sorry to hear about your horse, I totally understand!  I have had my gelding since he was 2 and have ridden him that long as well (he's 18 now).  I dread the thought of starting over, but I love riding, so it's unavoidable.  I do keep a fly mask on him now to shade his eyes, since they are sore most of the time. 

best of luck

Diane

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-08-18 5:09 PM (#29358 - in reply to #29286)

Expert

I have an appy mare that is 22.  She started having problems seeing when she was 10.  I can still ride her and if you tell her the ground is there, she believes you.  She can see shadows on the ground but has problems seeing a wire fence, but I use the corral pannels for her pen and she is fine with those.  She does have a problem with other horses comming up behind her, she can hear them, but I guess since she can't see their posture she gets nervous not knowing HOW they are approaching her. 

There is a support forum for horses with moon blindness.  I believe it's on Delphi.  I'll see if I can find it again.

http://www.blindhorses.org/care.html

http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/blindhorses

Edited by Terri 2005-08-18 5:52 PM
horsecrazy2
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-19 5:41 AM (#29371 - in reply to #29286)

We had a yearling paint filly that we had sold. Well, about 3 years have gone by now and she's just been diagnosed with moon blindness. They took her to the University of Illinios, they have an optimoligist dept.  They have to keep a fly mask on her all day, give her eye drops and I believe some kind of anit-flammitory. She's doing very well, she's lost all the vision in one eye and so far nothing in the other. But they did warn her owners that she'll more than likely loose all vision in both eyes. They opted to treat her for however long they have to. So, good luck, you do not have to put your horse down just because of it.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-19 7:19 AM (#29376 - in reply to #29371)

Expert

The fly mask is a great idea too.  I use it on the horses if they get a scratched cornea because even the light inside the barn is too much for them till the eye heals.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-09-10 6:59 PM (#30162 - in reply to #29286)

her name is peppys lil velvet, 4yr old copper color quarter horse with doe eyes, she is sugar sweet, i will try to send a pic of her on this post, to all of ya thank you
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)