'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dogs on the trail?

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-21 12:35 PM
118 replies, 19442 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-08-25 8:00 PM (#29611)
Subject: Dogs on the trail?

Extreme Veteran

I recently went horse camping with a few friends who insisted on bringing their dogs.  Now, I brought my dog too, but she stayed behind when we rode the trails.  These trails would probably be classified moderate by most seasoned riders and horses, but I was on a horse new to mountain trails, big rock step-ups, narrow with drop-offs;  so for him these trails would be more extreme than moderate.  One of the dogs ran back and forth from the front horse to the back horse the entire time, spooking my horse when he burst out of the dry brush.   The other dog, quite old, struggled to keep up and refused to move over and get out of the way.  I had to pull up suddenly many times to avoid going over her.  The worst was when my horse was literally leaping up some huge 2' steps of rock, requiring a big effort on his part, and this old dog stopped right in front of us.  I could not pull my horse up in mid-jump or it would have been disastrous for me and for him... so we ran completly over the dog.  I felt terrible.  Turns out my horse did not even step on her, but must have bumped her with his foot as he hopped and leaped over her.  She was fine, but I was really steamed about those dogs making a difficult situation much worse.  I was wondering how some of you felt about dogs on the trail.  Or if it really depends on the combination of horse and rider experience and trail difficulty?  It was really dangerous a few times because of those dogs.  How would you handle if they wanted to join you on future rides?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-08-26 4:54 AM (#29623 - in reply to #29611)
Subject: RE: Dogs on the trail?

Veteran

Sorry about your trip. This is one of my pet peeves. I don't think people should take their dogs on the trails out of consideration for other people.  Young horses, young children, older people or horse just having a bad day is reason enough. I don't want to have to watch someones dog to make sure my horse doesn't step on it.  I would just tell them that  I'm just not comfortable riding with dogs running loose.
Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-26 7:56 AM (#29626 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

I agree, wish folks would keep their dogs at camp.  They not only can cause problems for people you are riding with but also create a  problem for others you meet on the trail.  If they want to take their dogs for a walk they should do so after they get back from riding.  Most trails exclude dogs unless on a leash.
goods
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-08-26 8:55 AM (#29628 - in reply to #29611)

I have done a lot of trail riding with and without my dog.  It really depends on circumstances whether or not I take her.  In crowded campgrounds or group rides, she stays in camp.  However, I do a great deal of riding alone.  It is not uncommon for me to be the only person in the campground.  Once I was riding and a couple of coyotes started trailing me for quite awhile.  It was making me uncomfortable; but when they got too close, my dog went after them and that was the end of that.  Another time I was riding alone with her and came across a group of motorcyclists relieving themselves along the trail.  They may have been perfectly harmless; but I sure was more comfortable having my dog along.  In your particular situation, it was not appropriate to take the dogs.  I just judge each situation individually.
Whinny2
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-26 9:19 PM (#29649 - in reply to #29611)

Regular

I'm with you. I do not like to trail ride with dogs. I am a dog lover, but I will not watch for the dog on the trail. When you stop to eat, they are in your face, when you are riding someone is constantly hollering at their dog. Having dogs along means you won't see any wildlife because they keep everything run off. I personally do not go anywhere without my dog, but her place is at camp. Seems pretty inconsiderate of other people, to make them put up with that.
Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-08-26 9:25 PM (#29650 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

I trail ride most of the time with my dog.  My dog has been camping and on the trails since he was a pup, and it only took one time when he was a pup of being bumped by a horse that he learned to stay out of the way of their feet.  And I agree I have met people with dogs on the trail and they don't make them mind, of couse most of them can't control their horses either.  So with dogs I would say it's just like having a good horse, it all comes down to training. 
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-28 7:24 AM (#29673 - in reply to #29611)

Regular

It's not the dog, it's the owner.  Anyone who owns a trail dog, must have their dog trained well, and must respect others.  I am training a puppy to trail ride with us, if he doesn't mind he doesn't go.  If one of my friends are on a young horse he doesn't go, Kids, that don't ride good he doesn't go.  It's all about having control of your animal. 

Last year I was riding my 2 year old mule and a guy we were riding with was riding a 2 year old filly.   He had no control over that colt, and he kept running over my young mule.  You can imagine I was not a happy trail rider.  So just like horses you have to have control of your dog.  I told this guy he had to get away from me since he could not control his horse.  Same with the dogs.  If you are not comfortable riding with thier dogs, TEll them! 

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-08-28 10:38 AM (#29680 - in reply to #29611)

Expert

I have several friends who always bring their ddogs with us for rides. Rarely have we ever had a problem.

One Golden Lab was a real wimp. Probably the first time out of his back yard. He kept hidding in the bushes. It took some effort not to leave him on the mountain. His owner was wise enough to leave home after that.

Bird Dogs, usually range farther out and zig zag back and forth in front of the horses. Dingos, Border collies seem to stay pretty close to the horses. With occassional jaunts to sniff this or that.

I have one friend that has a little mutt that is just a lap dog. He scares me to death because he often gets right under the horse. I have no idea how he doesn't get stepped on. But he doesn't

All in All, I can't say that dogs have ever caused wreck on any of the ride. I enjoy having them in camp in the wilderness. They let us know when a stranger or bear wanders into camp.
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-08-28 7:41 PM (#29689 - in reply to #29611)

Extreme Veteran

If the trails are crowded, dogs should be left secured at camp. Wife & I have seen dogs tear into each other on trails when different groups meet from opposite direction. We have also found many a lost dog on trail and called the owners whose name is on the dog's tag. My pet peeve is the owner who brings his dog out for a run and the dog doesn't stay with the owner. These are usually the ones we find. Some have been lost for days and days. Once we found one that owner had been trying to find for 3 days. We ran across owner on one of the less traveled trails and he asked us to watch for his dog. We had gone about a mile when the dog came running out of the brush to us. We called the owner to let him know we had found it. Here at LBJ Nat'l it's best to leave the dogs at home or camp on weekends as trails are quite used. During the week, no problem usually taking dogs out on trail with you. Just use common sense.

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-08-29 10:29 PM (#29744 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

We  had a  dog whose life was to trailride. He loved it and was very good on the trail and around the horses. We got more compliments on him in camp and on the trail than we did with our horses. The only bad thing was, his name was Mister and when we called him, we got all kind of looks from the men. I love having a trail dog and I agree it is how they are trained. Debbie
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-05 8:32 AM (#29961 - in reply to #29744)

Elite Veteran

I have been trail riding with dogs many times. I was on a very green horse who did not like dogs. She would try and kick at them every time. Before we went out, I told the owners that my horse likes to kick and strick out at dogs and I am no way responsible to what happens with her dogs. I kept my horse in the back and she kept her dogs away from me. Another lady left her dog back as she didnt want to take the chance of her dog getting hurt. I even brought my dog along who has been kicked by her before and he stays away. A year later, my horse doesn't mind dogs on the trail. I look at it as a good training exercise. If someone was on a green horse, I would keep my dog away from them. I think that the owner was inconsiderate/ignorant to the problems you were having on your horse. I should also add that when we go trail riding, there could be up to 10 dogs with us, sometimes more dogs than horses. I have 2 dogs. One always goes on the trails with us. The other will be left behind many times since she does not have the "respect" for horses yet.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-09-05 10:38 AM (#29963 - in reply to #29611)

Expert

I've never been to a place that allows dogs to run off leash on trails.  I'm surprised that so many do allow it. 
truckin_cowboy_63
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-05 1:26 PM (#29970 - in reply to #29611)

my red healer has been riding with us since he was small enough we carried him in the horn bag he minds well & always follows the group so i try to get in the back but if someone in the group is not comfortable with him being along he has to stay in camp no questions asked
Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-09-06 12:14 PM (#29983 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

LEAVE THE DOGS AT CAMP, ITS A HORSE TRAIL RIDE, NOT A FOX HUNT
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-07 12:54 AM (#30001 - in reply to #29611)

Open, honest and direct communication among a trail riding/camping group is imperative.  If I am on a relatively inexperienced horse, I will tell my buddies and ask for consideration.  Happy trails. 

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-09 8:49 PM (#30144 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

I trailride with dogs occcasionally and respect my fellow riders about their opinion, but if I am riding public ground where I can take them, that is my perogative and perhaps Rostrenga, you should ride on private grounds that don't allow dogs period. Taking a dog on a trailride does not always mean a fox hunt.

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-09-11 4:40 PM (#30181 - in reply to #29611)

Extreme Veteran

Best dog I ever met out on the trail was trained to lay down as soon as we came up to them.  The dog was told to stay and stayed until both groups had passed by and then they called their dog.  We was all impressed and commented how we wished everyone riding with dogs would do the same.

I'm a dog lover and use to ride with my lab. I believe a lot is training but in general feel the best place for the dogs are back at camp.  It's safer for the riders and for the dogs and that's what's most important.  

Just last week my horse just about kicked a small dog walking behind my horse and I would have felt terrible if the dog would have been kicked.  It was the first time my horse kicked at a dog walking by while I was riding her.

I've know of two different times of a dog going under a horse, horse spooking and riders falling off getting very hurt.   Both were on a week vacation riding and couldn't ride the rest of the week ruining their vacation.  Worst part was that it was the same dog that caused both accidents two years in a row.

I wouldn't hesitate to mention to someone about their dog if it was really bothering my horses.  If they can't respect your safety then I probably wouldn't be riding with them. 

Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-09-13 1:53 PM (#30294 - in reply to #30144)

Veteran

Sorry to upset you Debbie Kirkwood, but 8 others have also stated leave the dogs back at camp, why are you not attacking them by name. You respect others opinions, as long as they agree with you.
pasobeth
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-14 7:50 AM (#30351 - in reply to #29611)

Regular

Have never responded before on this board, but just HAD to make a comment. I ride with my dogs anywhere it is allowed. I have 2 beagles - yes, I said beagles aka rabbit dogs. My dogs know their job and are either at point or following depending on what I tell them. I train a lot of young horses and dogs are a terrific training aid. Now, the question I have to ask is this, Why don't people train their horses to not go balistic when they see a dog? What the heck happens when a deer, turkey, grouse, etc springs out of the woods and onto the trail, much less a domestic dog? Hey, I would rather my dogs flush out the game before it springs on top of me and my horse. I will holler up when I see other riders coming that I have dogs coming. I tell them to just act like my dogs aren't there. I am amazed at the amount of people that will immediately tighten up and have abject fear on their faces thinking that a DOG will be passing their horse. Frankly, I don't think the horses are as afraid of the dogs as the people, but that is really always the way. Personally, if I had a horse/trained a horse that was afraid of, or kicked, struck at dogs or anything else that may pass me on the trail, I would not consider my horse "broke". Hey, what about llamas? We have packers up here that have "goats on a rope" and believe me, you want to have a broke horse to get past them without a wreck.
Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-09-14 9:25 AM (#30358 - in reply to #30144)

Veteran

CLASSYGIRL98  PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING Federal Law regarding Public Lands 

USC Title 16 (Conservation)

In general, pets are permitted but must be restrained either on a leash not exceeding 6 feet in length, caged or crated at all times. Park Superintendents and Managers have the discretion to further restrict areas open to pets (i.e., trails, buildings, campgrounds may be off limits).

Restrictions on pets in parks are as much to protect your pet as to protect park resources. Following are some of the reasons parks give for regulating the presence of pets:
--When a loose pet chases a squirrel or raccoon, the wild animal's ability to survive is threatened, and when it is threatened, it may react aggressively.
--There is a strong possibility in parks such as Yellowstone that your pet could become prey for bear, coyote, owl, or other predators.
--There is a possibility of exchange of diseases between domestic animals and wildlife. --Dogs, the most common traveling companion, are natural predators that may harass or even kill native wildlife that is protected within the park's boundaries.
--The "scent of a predator" that dogs leave behind can disrupt or alter the behavior of native animals. --Pets may be hard to control, even on a leash, within confines of often narrow park trails and may trample or dig up fragile vegetation.
--Dog and cat feces add excessive nutrients and bacterial pollution to water, which decreases water quality and can also cause human health problems.
--Finally, lost domestic animals sometimes turn to preying on park wildlife and must be destroyed.

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-14 10:37 AM (#30365 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

First of all, I do not have a problem with other people's opinion regardless of how they agree or disagree. What I have problem with is arrogant, hateful people that voice their opinion like they know it all and everyone else is just plain dumb.

Second, I do not take my dogs into state parks or national parks or anywhere they are not permitted. I ride a lot in our local national forest and have yet to have one government official tell me that I need to take my dog back to camp.

Third, I agree with pasobeth that it is just as much responsibilty of the horse owner to have their horses get used to dogs. Not just because of dogs going with the riders but in case of an encounter with other dogs that may be along the trail.

I

Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-09-14 1:26 PM (#30373 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

I have participated in many trail rides across the Carolinas. I have seen or heard all kinds of animals out on the trail. Horses that are not accustomed to "strange" things on trails need to be taught these lessons at home. Where I ride we regularly see deer and other wildlife at the drop of the hat. Your horses should be able to reasonably handle trail quirks, otherwise you endanger yourself as well as your horse and fellow riders. Let's take some responsiblity for ourselves instead of seeking to have everyone else clear the way for us. As long as the dogs are respectful and not aggressive, I see no reason that they should be prohibited from joining the rest of the group.
pasobeth
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-14 1:47 PM (#30375 - in reply to #29611)

Regular

Yep - your horse needs to be exposed to all manner of things if you are going to trail ride. And, if you can't ride your own horse, or are afraid you will not be able to control him/her in any given situation, then I suggest that you ride a seasoned horse on the trails until you gain enough confidence and your young horse has seen enough "stuff" so you can react appropriately. BTW - in a formal "hunt" if your horse should strike or kick a dog you are an outcast, never invited back to the hunt (or neighboring hunts) again becuase you are considered a novice who cannot control their horse and could be a danger to the rest of the riders, mounts and dogs. FACT
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-09-15 11:49 AM (#30417 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

I just had to add my 2 cents here.  We have been riding trails for years now.  Sometimes see people with dogs, sometimes not.  2 weeks ago we rode at Shimek park near Donnelson Iowa (awesome!).  We saw several dogs, and our friends had 2 as well with us on the trail.  I was totally impressed with the dogs we had with us, and all we came across.  My husband reminded me that with dogs, they spook up all the deer and other critters that may spook your horse!  I think both sides have valid points, but if a puppy dog scares your horse, maybe he needs more trail training??? 

I must adimt that I may have been "anti" dog on the trail before my personal experience, but a good trail dog isn't a big deal.  I would rather put up with a couple dogs than people letting their kids run their horses up and down the trail (but that's another can of worms!)

Also, my horse is 3 years old, and my husband rides a 2 year old.  Our 6 year old son also rides his own horse (she's 13).  So, it isn't like we were riding "seasoned" horses!!!

Happy trails

diane

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-09-15 3:07 PM (#30423 - in reply to #29611)

Extreme Veteran

A friend of mine had an experience where she was riding with a couple who always bring 2 or 3 of their 8 or 9 dogs along - anything from a german shephard to an italian grayhound to a pair of pugs.  The fellows horse spooked (probably not at the dogs) and he was thrown to the ground and injured.  He was not able to re-mount and ride back to the trailer.  His wife road ahead for help. As he attempted to walk back to the trailer, he encountered someone in a pickup along the dirt road who drove him back to his trailer.  However, this individual had his own dog in his truck so he could not take the other two dogs along.  This left my friend with 2 horse, 2 dogs, no leashes and no extra lead ropes to walk the several miles back to the trailers.  The hurt rider was taken to the hospital leaving my friend to drive his truck and trailer with all 3 horses and the dogs back home.  Luckily she is an experienced driver and was able to handle the large rig. Walking the dogs and horses back by herself was the difficult and potentially dangerous part.

Moral of the story...  Whatever you decide about riding with dogs, be prepared. In this case, the dogs did not cause the accident, but certainly made the "clean-up" more difficult.

happy trails....

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)