'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dogs on the trail?

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-21 12:35 PM
118 replies, 19441 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-02-28 7:33 PM (#38001 - in reply to #37991)
Subject: RE: Dogs on the trail?

Veteran

"I am so proud of myself. I organized a group of women to ride at a state park. One of my friends ask if she could ask someone else to go and I said yes, but she can't bring her dog.

I get sick of hearing her call the dog and of course I think it is just an accident waiting to happen to have the dog run in and out of the horses.

I am proud, not selfish. 12"

Good for you. I'm sure your group will have a great ride. I alway try to play by the rules of my host, at least the ones I am aware of. I was not trying to suggest otherwise.

Edited by Lynn0202 2006-02-28 7:36 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-02-28 10:45 PM (#38014 - in reply to #37989)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Lynn0202 on 2006-02-28 2:55 PM

Classy - I agree with you. The people I ride with train their horses to ride. Our horses are prepared beforehand and, although you can't prepare for everything, if something goes wrong, you suck it up and ride it out. These ideas about people being liable - I can't stand people who are sue happy. Mind your business and know that $hit happens. At a trail ride couple years ago, a group of us were gathered on horseback talking, preparing for the ride ahead. Out of apparently nowhere and without warning, the an unfamiliar horse next to mine wheeled and kicked mine and me. Hurt like hell but what do you do? Sue? No, ride it out and doctor it up later. Riding horses comes with obvious liability. Anyone knowingly sharing the trail with even one other person accepts that something that person does could turn bad for them. Even riding alone has its dangers. Maybe I'm one of the fortunate ones. I've never had what I'd call an unusually bad experience with dogs. I've seen plenty of spills and accidents resulting in hospital stays and multiple surgeries but those were all lack of training related or freak accidents. Medic - If you don't want to ride with dogs, great. If I don't, wonderful. If JD does, super. You imply it's selfish to bring your dogs and endanger others and that everyone should be respectful and make life easier for those who don't want them around. Like people who are riding untrained horses racing down the trails don't endanger those in their path (I suppose in order to control these folks, we need to make speed limits for horses now too). I suppose there's no other side of that coin. I suppose it's not selfish to want everything done your way because it makes life easier for you, and I should respect what you want and you can brush off what others may want. Hell, let me do everything everybody else wants me to do so I can make sure not to piss anyone off or cause the slightest inconvenience to those who can afford good lawyers. Just because something is law, doesn't mean that its necessarily right. According to SC law, men can beat their wives on the courthouse steps on Sunday. Also, as far as apples and oranges go, a horse who is unconditioned will most likely react very similarily to dogs as to any wildlife that surprises it. They may spook at the unseen and just about anything they think is gonna get them. Who are you to say that a scary hiker is any different than a running dog? If the horse doesn't know what it is and is of the spooky sort, they'll jump at any given thing. That's why you have to prepare them. As I said in a earlier post on this thread, we can't expect everybody to look out for us. We should take responsibility for ourselves. Final words - If you want to do it your way, buy the land and do it. If you want to use public or someone else's private land, I reckon we gotta play by the rules. Of course, this is just my most humble opinion. Renee

Okay, so what about the dogs loose on public trails that require dogs to be on leash?  What about the dogs someone else has along, that attack your dog or horse?  You can't tell me you and your horse have trained to 'suck-it up" and "ride it out"  if something like that, or many other situations occured.  You can't train to "expect" everything because "everything" is an unkown. My horse will walk across a tarp, carry it on his back, take me up the steepest mountain of bare rock with no trail, break a trail through brush and trees, but can't be expected to stand his ground if a bunch of dogs get in a loud snarling fight and are rolling his way...  nobody, horses included, wants to get mixed up in that.  My ride included a treacherous trail that the dogs ran by me again and again on, and nearly knocked my horse's feet out from under him trying to avoid stepping on them... I was very worried for me and my horse... sueing never occured to me at that point.  Living did.  Kind of hard to sue somebody from the bottom of the cliff in the river, 100 feet below... have you ever seen anyone fall 100 feet? But hey, I sucked it up and rode on, but eventually it came to an abrupt halt, when one of their dogs stopped dead, right in front of me when we were scrambling up a hilly, rocky trail.  I was last in line and my horse was anxious to catch up.  He was leaping up some step like rock ledges, and that flippin' dog stopped (she was tired) and my horse ran right over her.  God what a  terrible noise that was.  My girlfriend's husband was really angry at me and was yelling and stuff, but it was unavoidable.  You can't prepare for that; you can't train your horse to stop in mid-air while leaping up a challenging hill, to avoid some stupid dog...  yes, he's green, but some accidents are just unnavoidable.  And I was "minding my business" trying to enjoy a ride I had traveled a long way for and I was ready to ride, but they threw in the towel to care for the dog, who, ended up with no injuries!  It seems my horse managed to step everywhere but on her.  Amazing display of agility I think !   I do believe that if the public lands you ride on require a dog to be on leash, you should have your dog on leash.  If there's no leash law in that area, make the choice to ride there or go somewhere else.  If there's a leash law - that is exactly what you should expect to encounter... a dog on a leash.  *

sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-03-01 6:09 AM (#38018 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

Well put Cowgirl. I hate the dogs running back and forth and stopping. I hate the jack russels hunting and disturbing the peace of the forest. I love dogs and leave mine in the camp or at home.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-03-01 2:29 PM (#38041 - in reply to #29611)

Elite Veteran

Wow, this thread just keeps on going.  The issue we have in the trail riding club I'm in is that several places that used to allow dogs, no longer do.  They had leash laws, but people refused to keep their dogs on leashes; dog fights resulted, dogs peeing all over tents, coolers, taking them on the trails when it was prohibited, etc and the end result, dogs were banned from these locations.  There are places that still allow dogs, but I don't know of any State Parks, Water Management Areas, State Forests in Fla that allow you dogs on the trail.  So those of you that ride with your dogs, avoid Fla.

I happen to love dogs, but I don't presently own one.  I enjoy petting them in camp, but I sure don't like them peeing on my stuff, barking all day/night, and I also prefer not to ride with them on the trail for the many reasons already provided.  However, growing up our dog went with us everywhere and he was well trained, but he didn't go with us when we rode with other people.   I think it's a matter of consideration.

We had one trip when a Rotti bit a woman in the face, removing a chunk of her nose, which resulted in 4 plastic surgeries...... 

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-03-01 4:16 PM (#38055 - in reply to #37880)

Expert

There is no leash law in the rural area of our county. I have farm that I have a dog that would not hurt a flea run loose. Tell me how I could be held liable if you just happen to ride by my farm and your horse spooks at him?, Unless he tried to attack you and try to harm you or your horse I don't think I am being negligent. Debbie

You could be liable the same way a rancher could be held liable if a cow gets loose and hit by a car.  Failure to contain you animals. 

And keep in mind strays are a nuisance and some of us shoot them.  And a horse kick can kill.

krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-02 2:29 AM (#38085 - in reply to #38055)

Elite Veteran

We have 1000's and 1000's of acres of private land that we ride in. It is not uncommon to come across loose dogs with people hiking and trail riding on the trail. I don't mind. We have even come across coyotes. As far as my dogs barking in camp, there is always a reason. If it wasn't for the dogs barking, we would have never known horses were loose at 3am. Or the other thime when punk kids were going through camp coolers. Woke up the next morning and a lot of peoples coolers were stolen, but not ours. My dogs can go with me anytime.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-05 10:48 AM (#38281 - in reply to #38085)

Extreme Veteran

Classy - I agree with you. The people I ride with train their horses to ride. Our horses are prepared beforehand and, although you can't prepare for everything, if something goes wrong, you suck it up and ride it out. These ideas about people being liable - I can't stand people who are sue happy. Mind your business and know that $hit happens.

It is called being responsible and respecting others.  Wildlife on the loose is one thing.  But dogs can and should be restrained. 

I agree with those that you can not train a horse to accept every single thing that they can be possibly exposed to.  Dogs do not belong on a public trail.  

I am not sue happy, I have seen what the end result is and I do believe folks should be held accountable for their actions.  A crime is a crime irregardless who commits it.   You can reason it any way you like.  It is about being responsible for your actions or in this case "inaction" as you would be ignoring your responsibility.

I agree, if you are riding a green horse, you should not ride in large groups or where you will be coming across groups of other riders.   When I ride our green horses on the trail we ride in pairs of two and on days when there is minimal trail traffic.  The horses have to gain trail experience somehow. 

Even my most sage and savvy trail mare doesn't like dogs, she doesn't even tolerate our own at home.  Some horses do not like dogs period.  Just as not all people like other people. 

Again, it is about training your horse to be all do all... but to the dog owner to be responsible for your actions or inactions.  There are consequences.

Edited by mrstacticalmedic 2006-03-05 10:51 AM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-03-05 4:24 PM (#38288 - in reply to #29611)

Well, we have a new trail riding partner;  CP the goat.  We ride out from the barn and he will just insist on going if his horse buddy is being ridden.  So off we go, horses, dogs and a goat.  Very interesting.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-03-05 5:37 PM (#38290 - in reply to #38288)

Expert

That will be interesting if you come up on a group with loose dogs.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-05 6:08 PM (#38291 - in reply to #29611)

Expert

They don't have much endurance eaither.

sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-03-05 6:16 PM (#38292 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

Letting a goat go on public trails sounds like an accident waiting to happen. I pity the goat. I guess a goat cold keep up with some horses, but not for long. I hope he doesn't get hurt.

A goat on trails is even worse than dogs. Quite unexpected.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-03-05 10:45 PM (#38304 - in reply to #29611)

We ride from our barn and we really do live in the middle of nowhere.  As yet we have not taken the goat camping, but we have taken the miniature horse.  A lot of horses have had a problem with the mini even when he was tied up on his mini highline in camp.  We also have some cats that will follow along from the barn.  And our horses are very good when we jump deer and quail.  While there is always something unexpected around the next corner, the best we can do is remain calm and pass the calm to the horse.  We also wear certified riding helmets at all times and sometimes body protectors too.   I am always amazed at the number of people who do not wear helmets.  Oh well, each to her own said the woman as she kissed the cow.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-06 5:08 AM (#38311 - in reply to #29611)

Expert

More serious horse related accidents reported yearly then on motorcycles!
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-03-06 12:24 PM (#38332 - in reply to #29611)

Most motorcycle riders I've seen wear helmets, protective leathers and proper footwear. Have seen many people riding horses without shoes (the people not the horses).

Edited by rose 2006-03-06 12:26 PM
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-03-06 2:59 PM (#38341 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

Rose, I would like to see a picture of the goat going trailriding. How unique. Debbie
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-03-06 9:43 PM (#38354 - in reply to #29611)

Thanks, ClassyGirl;  hope to have some pictures of the group soon.  http://www.cloudfarms.com/pictures

Here is a link to a picture of the goat, one of the dogs and one of the cats. Just tested it and the link doesn't work;  if you are even remotely interested, pull up http://www.cloudfarms.com/  and then click on the cloud marked Pictures.  Thanks again.

Edited by rose 2006-03-06 9:52 PM
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-03-16 8:22 PM (#38935 - in reply to #29611)

Regular

If you try to control every situation before it happens you will simply go crazy.  You prepare the best you can, and as Rose says you should go prepared (helmet, whatever).  Cause if the dog don't get ya something else will. 

Happy Trails!

Believe me we have bigger problems than a dog on the trail, if we don't all ban together we're not going to have any trails to ride on.  Hope everyone looks at the thread - Right To Ride! If you want to be passionate about something dig your teeth into to saving our trails!

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-20 11:42 PM (#39171 - in reply to #38935)

Extreme Veteran

Wow- last Sunday I rode on some great trails that are shared by mountain bikes, families hiking and horses.  Hikers can bring their dogs on leash, but no off-leash is allowed.  A couple I passed was walking there 2 youngs dogs, and one of those dogs just about strangled itself trying to run away,  the horse scared him so badly.  Apparently he'd never encountered a horse before, or at least not on the same trail.  Poor guy, he wet himself and his eyes about bugged right out of his head.  The owner had to brace himself to keep ahold of that leash and prevent the dog from running off.  It was comical from where I was sitting :)  So in this instance, the shoe was on the other foot... dog afraid of the horse.  *

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-03-21 12:35 PM (#39204 - in reply to #29611)

Just goes to prove there is always an exception to a rule.  As Issie said so well, we really need to pay attention to what is going in in the federal area about trails;  trails being closed, restricted and so on.  The Forest Service budget is in danger of serious cuts;  and their reaction to cuts will no doubt be to close trails.  Please contact your legislators and encourage them to support Ride to Ride.  Be well.

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)