'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll GPS units: What brand/model and why?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-11-01 10:50 AM
11 replies, 4563 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-07 7:26 PM (#30035)
Subject: GPS units: What brand/model and why?

Elite Veteran

Just curious on what kind you guys have and why. I would really be interested in the ones that don't go out in heavy timber. We are looking to get one for trail riding and for elk hunting. Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-08 8:26 PM (#30105 - in reply to #30035)
Subject: RE: GPS units: What brand/model and why?

Veteran

Krys,

Since you have not gotten any responses, I will start it off.  As I mentioned in the othe GPS thread, I have the basic Garmin ETREX which I purchased for $99.  I know you can spend a lot more than that for ones with a lot more bells and whistles.  All I wanted was something that would help me find my way back to camp when I am not sure where I am (which is often).  If you want one with topo maps, etc then you will need to get something more expensive.  It may take a few minutes to get a signal sometime in deep woods but will usually always bring it up within a couple of minutes.  Only time I was unable to get a signal was in a moderate rain shower at Lonesome D in Arkansas.  Fortunately, I knew where I was.   Also, since this is a basic model, the battery life (about 20 hrs) is longer than in the sophisticated models.

krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-19 10:18 AM (#30608 - in reply to #30105)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for responding. All I am really looking for is something for trail riding and hunting, getting in and out. Then if we have an elk down, if would be so much easier to find it when we have to go back in the dark with the horses to pack it out.
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-09-19 1:03 PM (#30624 - in reply to #30608)

Extreme Veteran

I have the same as Texas Butch only mine is a Legend which has a few more features than his. Basically this one has internal memory that you can download maps from and upload maps to (with the cost of extra software of coarse) and it's also WAAS capable which basically means it's a bit more accurate. I bought mine off of Ebay for around $160.00 a few years ago. I know they have a color screen model of the one we have now. Ever since we got lost in the Colorado mountains, I won't go riding without it. It also allows me to build maps of the trails we have ridden which I enjoy doing.

Hope this helps.

Safe Riding,
Todd

Edited by maccwall 2005-09-19 1:04 PM
Rackn
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-09-24 9:24 PM (#30929 - in reply to #30035)

My hubby bought me a Garmin Etrex for 79.00 at Cabela's.Never had problems getting a signal...might take a few minutes, though. However, I don't use it for direction,  I wanted to keep track of how many miles I ride. And how fast my gelding can rack(at top speed), and average speed.
ajs01
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-25 12:30 AM (#30935 - in reply to #30035)

Regular

I've used a Garmen for years, both in the saddle and in my truck. Never had any problems.
Dunagain
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-09-29 9:59 PM (#31152 - in reply to #30035)

Regular

My hubby bought me a Garmin e-Trex Vista-C..with the color screen, last year for Christmas (I wouldn't have splurged for the color...but hey...I'll take it!)  The more I use it, the better it gets.  I'm still learning it, wish it showed topography without having to buy additional expensive software, but it also allows me to download trails I've done, and re-load them on my Garmin via a USB port on my computer.  I feel like I'm still tapping into it's potential, but at least I've got the basics waypoint, track back, go-to, etc. down-pat. (It also has clearly demonstrated the lack of accuracy in most campground trail maps I've used!) Let us know what you ended up with!  Happy trails!

Gallopher
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-03 3:01 PM (#31267 - in reply to #31152)

I'm interested in the Garmin Etrex Vista-C, also. Do you think yours is overkill for trail riding? What type of mapping features come pre-loaded on the unit?

Thanks.

Jane
Gallopher
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-10 9:28 AM (#31514 - in reply to #30035)

bump
Dunagain
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-10-17 5:57 PM (#31873 - in reply to #30035)

Regular

I don't consider the E-trex VistaC overkill for trail riding.  It really seems better when using mapping and back-tracking.  The waypoints and maps seem to stand out better.  It didn't come with any great software other than the Mapsource that allows you to download your tracks.  It's very basic and doesn't do as much as I'd like.  My Garmin doesn't show topography (at least I haven't figured out how, and the book doesn't show it) which to me is a BIG drawback when using it to trail ride.  I'm finally having my first problem with it.  I took it on a trail ride this week and it froze up on the return trip....right when I needed to find the fastest way back to camp.  I took the batteries out and replaced them when I got back, and now, it doesn't pick up satellites, the time is not correct, and the only thing that seems to work is the compass.  The book doesn't offer anything for troubleshooting, so I'm going to try and contact Garmin for help.  I sure hope I can get it working again!

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-18 8:07 AM (#31902 - in reply to #31873)

Expert

Originally written by Dunagain on 2005-10-17 4:57 PM

I don't consider the E-trex VistaC overkill for trail riding.  It really seems better when using mapping and back-tracking.  The waypoints and maps seem to stand out better.  It didn't come with any great software other than the Mapsource that allows you to download your tracks.  It's very basic and doesn't do as much as I'd like.  My Garmin doesn't show topography (at least I haven't figured out how, and the book doesn't show it) which to me is a BIG drawback when using it to trail ride.  I'm finally having my first problem with it.  I took it on a trail ride this week and it froze up on the return trip....right when I needed to find the fastest way back to camp.  I took the batteries out and replaced them when I got back, and now, it doesn't pick up satellites, the time is not correct, and the only thing that seems to work is the compass.  The book doesn't offer anything for troubleshooting, so I'm going to try and contact Garmin for help.  I sure hope I can get it working again!

If it doesn't pick-up the satellites the time will be off.  If your GPS displays a time, consider it accurate as the Naval Observatory time.  The whole GPS system relies on atomic clock timing to calculate a position.  So it's like having an atomic clock in your pocket.

Dunagain
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-11-01 10:50 AM (#32563 - in reply to #30035)

Regular

Hi Thanks for the input. For a while, it wasn't picking up the satellites...even in the open on clear sunny days.  But one day...viola!  It started picking them up again.  I wonder if I jolted something inside and knocked something askew?  Who knows?  The altitude still isn't accurate, but I have to input some info to reset that, I think.  Glad to have Garmin giving directions again, tho!  Thanks again for the input!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)