'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Saddle fitting...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-09-16 8:23 AM
11 replies, 4219 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gibsonhoyt
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-09-12 2:27 PM (#30229)
Subject: Saddle fitting...

I baught my wife a 15h paint and we are having trouble finding a saddle to fit him. Can anyone help?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
j5mike
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-12 9:33 PM (#30255 - in reply to #30229)
Subject: RE: Saddle fitting...

I also would like to know what a dry spot under the saddle blanket means.  More pressure where it's dry or no pressure.
Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-12 10:16 PM (#30257 - in reply to #30229)

Veteran

Okay, I would suggest a treeless Bob Marshall Sport Saddle, they are lovely for hard to fit horses.

And the dry spots under the pad are where there are excessive pressure. It stops the body from sweating correctly. If you leave it be, you will have white hairs coming in soon. A treeless would also correct your problem.

No, I have nothing to do with BMSS's, but I seen the difference on my 15 yrs old paint gelding & have not gone back to a treed saddle since. he (gelding) went from slow & laboring (lazy I thought) to lively on rides & willing to canter!!

It convinced me!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-09-13 11:23 AM (#30279 - in reply to #30255)

Expert

That would depend on how sweaty the rest of his back is.  If you haven't been working him much and the back isn't real sweaty, then It would be no contact.  If he is dripping and has a dry spot, then I'd say there was more pressure and the blanket is soaking it up.
Saddlemaker
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-14 12:36 AM (#30347 - in reply to #30229)

I agree with Terri. It is not uncommon for me to come back from a easy ride and have a light dry spot usually near the wither and my saddle fits my gelding about perfect. After a hard or strenuous ride if I don't see and even sweat pattern I have a problem with saddle fit or I'm riding off balanced.

Hang in there and try as many different saddle designs as you can in the environment which you normally ride. Your best bet is do research and find a good saddler who will help you with saddle fit. A lot of folks say they are experts but I think you'll find that only a few really are. If you can locate one you will find a good saddle that will fit.

PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-09-14 4:42 PM (#30386 - in reply to #30229)

Regular

Something else to consider might be http://www.equimeasure.com

I have never used it, but would surely give it a try for $98, if saddle fitting were a big issue.

I am acquainted with a few ladies on another message board that have just about gone broke and bonkers having various saddle companies send them trees and nothing fit.  These horses were broad-backed, no withers, plenty of shoulder, and built like Arnold S wishes he could be.  Heighth of the horses varied greatly.

Except for parades, I ride saddle-less.  When I do put a saddle on my TWH, it is a Buena Vista Plantation saddle.  It fits my horse nicely but then again, he only wears it for a few hours in parades.  He is only 15.1 and built more like the old Morgans - short-coupled, chunky, no withers; essentially a couch with legs:)

Hope this helps you some.  Just from reading other stories similar to yours, I can understand your frustration:

hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-09-14 9:37 PM (#30393 - in reply to #30229)

Extreme Veteran

Dry spots under the saddle can be either to much pressure or not enough. that is where your eyes and hands can help out by checking for roughed hair, heat, and swelling. Horses change thoughout the year and as they age. In my opinion a saddle should purchased for the type of horse and the horse conditioned for the saddle.
PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-09-15 7:18 AM (#30398 - in reply to #30229)

Regular

I agree with hconley - saddle needs to be for the body style and build of the horse, not necessarily the breed.

I have three Tennessee Walkers.  None of them are built close enough to where the same saddle would work on all of them if they were being ridden with it for more than a couple hours.

In my previous post, I forgot to add that nearly everyone that had big problems fitting their horse, ended up getting a custom made saddle for that horse.

The saddlemakers were varied.  Arab Saddlery, Crestridge, Bob Marshall, Tucker, just to name a few.

I have an old Orthoflex for when folks come and ride my 16+hand TWH.  However, I have been told by several folks that the new Orthoflex saddles aren't near the quality of the older ones.  I like the Orthoflex because it can be shimmed; a helpful asset for when the horse's shape starts to change as it ages:)

To reiterate, it might save a lot of grief to spend the $98 on the equimeasure or something similar.  The Equimeasure is resuable, so you're not totally out the money

Gibsonhoyt
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-09-15 8:11 AM (#30400 - in reply to #30229)

Thank you for all the great tips. I found one more saddle to try out and if does not work then I will get the Equimeasure Kit. Then I could find a new saddle for my horse too!1Wife 1Dog 2Horses 0Trailer
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-09-15 4:29 PM (#30427 - in reply to #30400)

Extreme Veteran

Has anyone tried this saddle pad?

www.thecorrector.net

I was thinking about giving it a go.
-Betty
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-15 11:02 PM (#30444 - in reply to #30229)

here is a possibility...but can you borrow stuff from other folks to try out (no, I never did but I am a tack junkie)

Griffin Broadback AP Saddle

Designed exclusively for broad-backed low-withered breeds. The straighter cut flaps allow free movement of bulky shoulders while the slimline panels allow the closer contact.

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-16 8:23 AM (#30457 - in reply to #30229)

Elite Veteran

I used to have a very broad mutton withered QH and spent alot of time and money trying different saddles.  I even trailered him to saddle shops trying on a variety of english & western.  The only saddle I found to truly fit him was a Bob Marshell Treeless sport saddle.  I rode him in that for the next 4 years with great success.  Rode the Buffalo River Ride, countless miles on a variety of terrain and never a dry spot, white hairs, etc.  When I sold him I explained to his new owner about the saddle fit issues.  She tried the saddles she already had and ended up with another treeless.     I have since used this same BM saddle on at least 10 other horses and the only one it didn't fit was a very overweight TW.  I use it with my 3 1/2 year old TW and no white hairs, dry spots, etc.  I do use the Skito pads which have great padding though expensive and are contoured especially to fit these saddles.  I've yet to find a horse that can outwalk mine as he's able to fully use his shoulder and walk freely.  His overstride is incrediable for a 15 hand young horse.  He's also has a very smooth gait, but I am so impressed with his flat walk and many others have been impressed with his movement. Note - he is bred to be a trail TW  and not a show TW.

You do have to be a fairly good rider to feel comfortable with a treeless saddle since there isn't a tree, so they're not for beginer riders.  I also ride bareback, so it's never been an issue for me.

Keep in mind that if your saddle doesn't fit, your horse will suffer.  Many people think adding thicker pads will work. My question to them is, if your shoes are too tight, do you put on a 2nd pair of socks?

Good luck in your efforts, you are doing the right thing by your horse to find a saddle that fits them properly.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)