'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Commercial Generator Noise

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-11-14 7:44 AM
14 replies, 5707 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-09-20 4:41 PM (#30690)
Subject: Commercial Generator Noise

Veteran

I must ask if I am the only one bothered by people running those loud commercial generators all day and night in Forest land. I understand they are much cheaper than camping generators and much louder. Does anyond go camping to hear a generator run all day and night, or am I just getting cranky in my old age.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-20 9:17 PM (#30704 - in reply to #30690)
Subject: RE: Commercial Generator Noise

Extreme Veteran

Most areas will require that they be shut off at 11pm.  I, like you, do not like to hear the roar of a generator all night long.  However most of the places I go have enough electrical sites to accomodate most everyone.  However, I can see the arguement that there are those that have to get by with the means they have.  I know our nights in TN are nothing compared to those in TX.  I can see where there would be those who feel the need to keep the AC on in order to enjoy their trip.  This would lead to a big debate over the rights of one to be comfortable in their trailer and the rights of the other to camp without being bothered by others.  Without the establishment of rules and curfews, you will have a difficult time enforcing others to turn the generators off.
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-09-21 7:06 AM (#30717 - in reply to #30690)

Extreme Veteran

If you're on US Forest Service property, look at the posted rules and regulations on the bulletin boards to see what time the generators have to be turned off. This is a list of rules that's longer than the US Constitution so shouldn't be hard to find, only the regulation (in small type). The USFS where I serve requires that ALL generators be inoperative from 10:00 PM until 6:00 AM. Have people all the time who tell me they didn't see any signs posted or "nobody told me" syndrome. I ask them to go to the bulletin board and read all of the regulations to be sure they are in compliance. Then if they smart off, I call the Law Enforcement Ranger who is more than happy to write citations to smart asses. Also, the rules state that all dogs on public lands must be under control by the owner on a secured leash not longer than 6 ft in length. But this applies to a different thread, doesn't it?
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-09-21 1:18 PM (#30738 - in reply to #30690)

Veteran

Forgive my stupidity, but I am not sure if I have ever heard a "commercial" generator. We have a small coleman or craftsman (not exactly sure of brand), it's new and seems pretty quiet. We can stand next to it while running and still speak in a normal voice. My friend has a larger generator that is awful!!! It is on some sort of dolly, and it's loud! At first I didn't care, but after a few hours, it drove me nuts! I don't think it's an old age thing, but maybe just we get annoyed at the noise! When I camp, I want a little peace and quiet! I am not making excuses for myself, if they don't allow generators after 10 or 11, then quiet or not, guess I am wrong. We use ours during the day when we ride to keep the trailer cool for our dogs. After all the discussion this week about dogs, I think I will hire gramma to dog sit more often!!!
Diane
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-09-21 9:27 PM (#30765 - in reply to #30738)

Veteran

We go camping often usually to primitive sites. I understand some folks with health problems or if they are elderly may need to run the generator for ac...but otherwise they drive me nuts. We do most of our camping in the fall here in OH though so we dont have hot weather...for those who use them, please turn them off as soon as possible so I can have a conversation...thanks.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-23 8:32 AM (#30857 - in reply to #30690)

Expert

There are several Quite generators available. Honda and Yamaha both make generators that run at 53-54 decibles. Which is no louder than a normal conversation. But they cost 2-3 times as much as the commercial generators. I bought the Yamaha 2400 watt which sells for around $1200 for my horse trailer. On jobs sites I run a 8500 watt comercial generator that cost me $700. Threes times the power at 1/2 the cost. But it's MUCH noisier. A not as friendly to laptop computers or other electronics.

I only run my generator at meal times.  Run the microwave to heat up some oatmeal or soup/chile and to give my batteries a short boost. Also my water heater is electric. So if I come in from a dusty ride and want a quick shower, I'll run the generator for 15 minutes or so to heat up the water in the tank. I hate to hear them run constantly and try to limit my use.

Cricket
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-09-26 11:36 AM (#30987 - in reply to #30690)

I'm shopping for a quiet one for my trailer which only has city hookup. I had a friend that had a Honda EU3000 series and I was parked very close to him and never heard it running at night. So I'm leaning towards the purchase of one. I myself have a hard time falling asleep and need a quieter unit. Plus I hate to bother anyone else. I have heard ones that almost irritated me enough that I wanted to go over and turn them off.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-09-27 7:07 AM (#31030 - in reply to #30690)

Expert

The Honda is a great unit. I didn't choose it because it was Heavier and a little more money.

I bought the Yamaha EF2400is. just as quite but half the weight.

Both of these products are the "Inverter" technology.  Which is part of what makes them so quite. Both companies make generators that are MUCH louder. So be careful which models you choose. Just buying a Honda doesn't make it quite.

Honda EU3000 $1995, some mail order deals at $1895

Yamaha pretty easy to find for $1199

Honda 135lbs  Yamaha 70lbs  Much easier to lift in and out of truck bed or back of tack room. If you are going to permanately mount the generator, It's a none issue.

Honda 3000 watts  Yamaha 2400 watts  Most A/C units will use 1800 watts to get going. So unless you are trying to run A/C and other high demand appliances at the same time, 2400Watts is enough. You can not run A/C and Hot water heater at same time.  Or A/C and Microwave at same time on the Yamaha 2400.

Honda 49-58 decibels Yamaha 53-58 decibels.   Yamaha is a little noisier at idle, about the same at full load.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=eu3000is

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelspecs/475/0/specs.aspx

The Yamaha has ONLY a 20amp plug. The Honda has both a 20amp and a 30 amp recepticle.

Both products can be doubled up.  Two Yamaha EF2400 generators hooked together produce 4800 watts.   A lot of folks use two of the smaller Honda eu2000 generators to get 4000 watts. ( they only weigh 46 lbs each.)

Personally, I don't leave my generator running. I rarely use my A/C - Mountains here in Utah at 8000' are cool enough. So I turn it on when I need to use my Microwave or to charge up my batteries or heat the water in my Hot water tank for a shower. So at most it runs for 20-30 minutes when I get up (fixing quick breakfast)  or after a ride when I want to clean up or fix dinner.

Cricket
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-09-27 12:22 PM (#31049 - in reply to #30690)

I chose the EU3000is over the Yamaha. It will run everything i need at the same time. A friend had one in his 8ft LQ and ran ac/microwave etc with out a problem. I will also use it at home in case we have another ice storm or hurricane. So I don't lose the freezers again. I got a price of 1679.96 out the door from a honda dealer in Md. That's the cheapest other than ebay and shipping would have been 220 to me.
Lotek
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-10-11 12:18 AM (#31561 - in reply to #30690)

Does anyone know if adding a muffler from a camping generator will quiet a comercial generator enough to make it worth the cost. "$100 or so", I was given a coleman with a briggs and stratton motor that is almost as loud as my snoring.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-11 11:22 AM (#31579 - in reply to #31561)

Expert

Originally written by Lotek on 2005-10-11 11:18 PM

Does anyone know if adding a muffler from a camping generator will quiet a comercial generator enough to make it worth the cost. "$100 or so", I was given a coleman with a briggs and stratton motor that is almost as loud as my snoring.

I doubt it will be worth it.  It might reduce the noise some, but not to the point of a "quiet" generator.  I did some noise abatement work as part of my job.  I learned one must consider all the noise sources. Intake, cooling fan, sheet metal, etc.

But after all, the generator was free to you... try it !

Cricket
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-10-12 7:17 AM (#31618 - in reply to #30690)

I had a friend that tried putting a quieter muffler on his, but it didn't quiet it down as much as he hoped it would. He ended up buying a quiet Yamaha I believe.
marlenaanne
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-10-31 5:57 PM (#32541 - in reply to #30690)

Regular

Don't you just love how the people with the "noisy" generators always set them on the opposite side of their trailer (away from their awning and their campfire) so they can visit but the rest of camp gets to hear the noise.
Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-11-01 1:22 PM (#32564 - in reply to #30690)

Veteran

Thats exactly right, they always point them toward their neighbors so they do not have to hear their own noise. Makes you want to ride up, throw a rope around the commercial generator and drag it away. The rest of us spent the extra money to run quiet, its called consideration.
Cricket
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-11-14 7:44 AM (#32999 - in reply to #30690)

I used my honda 3000 for the first time. I was surprised of how quiet it was. Yes it was in back of the trailer at the wheels  away from my front door, but also my truck and other gear were there also. It's kinda hard to not to put it were all your hookups are. None of my neighbors complained about it. Matter of fact they were impressed that it was quiet. I also turned it off at quiet time. Some people are not self contained with thier trailers. So if it's cold enough that I need to run my generator to keep warm I will.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)