'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-04 7:01 PM
13 replies, 5513 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

clyde
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-14 4:01 PM (#34084)
Subject: LQ trailers

My wife and I are looking to buy a LQ trailer.  I would like to know, some pros & cons about different companies
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-12-14 6:59 PM (#34091 - in reply to #34084)
Subject: RE: LQ trailers

Expert

Depends what your budget is.

Do you want a weekend conversion. These give you a bed, maybe a stove & toilet.

Or do you want a full blown LQ. Microwave,Generator fridge etc.

I would ruff it myself, just sleeping in the gooseneck. But I have 5 daughters and wife, so I got trailer with a bathroom/shower. Mostly for the comfort of the females in my life. I don't hang out at rodeo or fairgrounds. My trailer is for the mountains. You don't want to drag a 34 foot trailer down a forest service road.

I use my Awning a lot. I set up a stove outside under the awning and that where I cook and eat.

Tell us a little mroe about what you plan to do with your trailer and we can give you some better ideas.

clyde
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-14 9:07 PM (#34099 - in reply to #34084)

My wife attends 3 day -1 week horse clinics through out the midwest,  so full bath and cooking is a plus.  we will also use it to go trail riding for several weekends through the year. 
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-12-15 6:44 AM (#34105 - in reply to #34084)

Elite Veteran

You will get many differences of opinion as to what is important varies among everyone. Here is my list:

prefer DR door to open on the driver's side to get a longer wall

gotta have the pass through door, propane 6cft ' fridge, hot water heater, sink, stovetop, and counter space.  Lots of storage cabinets to pack away stuff, bathroom with the toilet separate from the shower (not inside the shower itself).  Queen size bed, more storage by bed, couch or dinnette with bench seating. 

horse area:  stud stall, swing out saddle rack, lots of bridle hooks, blanket bars, and brush trays.  Mangers outside for extra storage, 7'4" to 7'6" height, hydrolic (sp?) or electric hitch, 2 propane bottles,  generator, and the type awning that the arms are up higher and don't block you from walking around - these also drop off water that accumulates on them & easier to open & close.

Sigh - someday I will have this.  Good luck in your search.  Go to various websites & check them all out, go to horse shows, campouts, talk to people about what they like, etc. People love to show their trailers and you can get some great ideas.

bd1
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-15 1:26 PM (#34115 - in reply to #34084)

my advice is to buy a used lq trailer if this is your first one....the more you use it, the more you will find out exactly what you want. i would hate to spend the money on a brand new trailer only to find out that its not what i want/need.
Judy K
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-18 3:51 PM (#34191 - in reply to #34084)

Veteran

Hi - I'm on my 2nd 4-Star LQ trailer - and it is a full blown one with all the bells and whistles! I really like that it has drop-down windows on head and butt sides and it also has a mid-tack room that has a door into the full bathroom and then into the LQ area. I have a pull-out sleeper sofa - and I find we have more room and I like it better than the dinettes. I have a 8 cu. ft. fridge/freezer - and I say they can never be too big! I wish I had a double bowl sink and a little more counterop space! Also, make sure the trailer is 8' wide at least and its nice when the gooseneck is "dropped" - more head room in the sleeping area. The "fantastic" fans are a great feature!Also, since I'm a bit older - hydraulic jacks! - and for easier clean-out - forget those heavy awkward mats! - W.E.R.M flooring is the BEST! One more thing, I have a ramp on this trailer - and I didn't think I'd like it - but now I don't know how I got along without one! Of course, the more you add - the more you spend - and I think this is a great site for researching used trailers of all brands! I actually found both of my trailers right here! OF course, be prepared to drive a little to see them in person - don't just take a stanger's word for the they are purported to be! Good Luck! Judy
BITSYRDR
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-12-20 5:05 AM (#34230 - in reply to #34084)

We bought a Keifer and had the living quarters done in Iowa.

Trailer place in Humston called KES.. He does an awesome job and will set it up however you want.  Lets you walk thru his work shop and see how they are done.

Very pleased with it and it was our first!

clyde
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-28 8:59 PM (#34478 - in reply to #34230)

Thanks for the reply.  Somebody here in Iowa had said so things to me that were negative about KES,  well the curious person that Iam I had to go and see for myself.  I could not believe what I saw!!!!!!  In fact my wife and I are going to see Kenny on Saturday to start getting our custom laid out.  Thank you for your reply and I hope we will enjoy our trailer as much as you.
Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-12-31 11:48 AM (#34623 - in reply to #34084)

I dont know about ya'll but i got mine in OK from a private seller (i got a sundowner) and i must say after having my old Keifer Built 2 horse stock trailer, i am uber impressed with this trailer!! i dont think i will go back to any other kinda of trailer again!!! go sundowners!! lol.. my opinion!
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-02 7:26 AM (#34707 - in reply to #34105)

Elite Veteran

I agree with Painthorse and Dunoir on both sides. I'm lucky enough to have an old Wrangler GN that I use to bum around in weekends and a really nice LQ for trips. We bought it at an expo a couple of years ago and it was loaded. I could do without the microwave, since we never used it to cook in, but it makes a great filing cabinet. No onboard generator for me either, prefer it to sit away from the trailer. A ramp is really nice for a lot of reasons, even though my horses know how to step up. The following is a must in a LQ; walk through door to stallion stall, escape door on stallion stall, sit down toilet w/stand up shower separate, rear tack/swing out saddle rack, queen size bed, extra tall trailer for more headroom in sleeping area and a nice awning. My wife and I have a 3H slant LQ and use the stallion stall as mudroom, feedroom combo. We also bought a steel trailer. Happy trails.
Duvall Dean
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-04 2:51 PM (#34885 - in reply to #34084)

New User

looking for any horse trailer shows, expos that come near Washington State, we can't find a LQ -4 horse to save our lives  near us, apearently we are the only campers with horses in WA. I agree with the too long of trailer for the mountain roads, but the women do require a few things to tied them over, I saw a trailer with 2 couches on either side of each other thought that would handle the 2 kids and 3 dogs that don't know their dogs. Ever seen anything like
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-04 3:09 PM (#34888 - in reply to #34084)

Elite Veteran

Friends of mine bought an Exiss with bunk beds for the kids and it has a slide out couch for the dogs
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-01-04 6:58 PM (#34905 - in reply to #34885)
Subject: RE

Elite Veteran

You might consider buying a shell trailer and having LQ done the way you want. I have heard of a custom LQ installer in Vancouver WA, but don't know anything about them or their quality of work.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-01-04 7:01 PM (#34907 - in reply to #34084)
Subject: RE

Elite Veteran

Duvall Dean,

You should also consider posting a horse trailer wanted ad on this site. I did when I was shopping and was contacted by several dealers who had what I was looking for. Made shopping very easy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)