husband thinks i ought to go quality for featherlight 12,000 and or elite 11,500 . I live in Texas (new comer) and wonder if I should do just windows or all stock(4ft up) or half windows half stock for ventilation. I will be traveling quite a bit to shows and trail rides. I worry about rain and ventilation. Single walled is cheaper and lighter. I have a suburban 3/4 ton.. HELP ME TRAILER MAN"/>
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
first new/used trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-12-19 11:19 AM
6 replies, 5265 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

glori
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-15 8:18 PM (#34126)
Subject: first new/used trailer

I am going out of my mind.  I want a two horse with dressing room bumper pull.  A rear tack sound nice i have looked at calicos for 4000, and used 4 star for 4500, and ranch king for 5400 and s&h rear removable tack for 9500 and27 husband thinks i ought to go quality for featherlight 12,000 and or elite 11,500 .  I live in Texas (new comer) and wonder if I should do just windows or all stock(4ft up) or half windows half stock for ventilation.  I will be traveling quite a bit to shows and trail rides.  I worry about rain and ventilation.  Single walled is cheaper and lighter.  I have a suburban 3/4 ton.. HELP ME TRAILER MAN
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-16 8:08 AM (#34133 - in reply to #34126)
Subject: RE: first new/used trailer

Expert

I would consider the 4-star if it is in good shape (check under the mats where the seams are for corrosion).  THey are all aluminum and built like tanks.  It would be great if the 4-star had drop down butt windows.  With the roof vents, screens for the front and the butt drops, you'll have a lot of air flow.  Put a weight distribution hitch on you 3/4 T (assuming it is already set heavy duty for towing!) and you should be fine.
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-12-16 9:34 AM (#34139 - in reply to #34126)

Veteran

I picked up a new bumper pull CM 3H slant with drop downs & bars on head side, plexiglass slider on butt, collapsible rear tack, front dressing room, floor mats, etc. for $6000. Oklahoma Tailer Sales in Calera OK just north of the Red River.
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-12-16 4:47 PM (#34158 - in reply to #34126)

Veteran

First off, welcome to the boards from a fellow Texan.

Of the brands you listed, my personal preference would be the 4 Star or the Elite. They are both better quality trailers than the others (in my opinion).

As far as features, here's a few things I decided on before I ordered my trailer.

Windows - good ventilation in Texas is a must. However, I have seen too many trailers with wasp nests, bird nests, or mice in them and chew through the wiring if the trailer is open (i.e. Stock Trailer). I preferred a closed in trailer for that reason. Also, the plexi windows do allow a lot of ventilation but give you the problem of having to store the plexi somewhere and they are a pain to take out and put back in. You will find that you either leave the plexi out or in because of the hassle. I got drop down windows on the head and bus windows on the rear with 2 air vents in the hgorse compartment. They get great circulation and no problems at all !!

Collapsable Reat Tack - Although this would be handy if you plan on using your trailer to haul things, remember that whenever you wash your trailer out or your horse urinates, guess where the water runs !!! You have to completely empty everything off the floor in your tack area before you hose the trailer out and wash all the stuff off if your horse urinates. There are some great opinions on windows and rear tacks on the "Trailer options" post - great thought from many different people.

I am pulling a 4 Star 2H Slant GN (aluminum) with DR (21' total length) with my 1/2 ton pick-up and it pulls great with 2 horses in it. You would be better off looking for a good QUALITY used trailer that will meet your needs and last you a long time than getting a new trailer that won't pull as easily or won't last as long.

Good luck in your search. If you are in the Dallas - Ft. Worth area, I can give you suggestions of different dealers I contacted that were very good to work with and extremely helpful in getting me information and contacting me if they had a trailer come in.

Edited by Champhorse 2005-12-16 4:52 PM
glori
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-17 9:36 AM (#34172 - in reply to #34126)

Thankyou for the info. I would love to know the dealers in your area.
Thanks for the welcome. We are loving it here. I wish I could find more reiners in my area. Oh well, thankyou
gloria
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-17 7:01 PM (#34178 - in reply to #34172)

Expert

Since you asked about dealers, I don't know how close you are to MO but Whitman trailer sales are very nice to deal with.  They sell Elite, which is just as good as 4-star.  I would buy either brand.
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-12-19 11:19 AM (#34210 - in reply to #34126)

Veteran

I had some conversations with Gulf Coast 4 Star in Belton (near Waco) and they were great. I'm guessing that would be about an hour or hour and a half for you - straight north on I-35. Their phone # is 254-939-8100 and you can see their inventory on their web site http://www.gulfcoast4star.com/ .

I bought mine from Wayne Hodges Trailers in Weatherford and they have been wonderful. Their web site is http://www.waynehodgestrailers.com/ .

If you are looking at Sundowner, the dealer here is also very good and sells Sundowner, Hart, and CM (I think). They list inventory on http://www.sundowneroftexas.com/ .

A friend of mine has bought 2 trailers from Durham Trailer Ranch and they sell Bloomer, Elite, Classic, and Titan. Their web site is http://www.durhamtrailers.com/ .

There's also a dealer in the Waco area that sells Platinum Coach trailers (very impressive trailer) but I can't remember their name. I'll post it if I can find it.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Edited by Champhorse 2005-12-19 11:29 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)