'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Featherlite and Exiss

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-12-19 7:42 PM
5 replies, 3712 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Paint Guy
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-17 8:07 PM (#34179)
Subject: Featherlite and Exiss

New User

Hey Mr Trailer

I am looking to buy my first trailer. I am considering either and Exiss or a Featherlite. Can you give me some insight on what the differences are and what I should be concerned with?

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-12-18 11:41 AM (#34185 - in reply to #34179)
Subject: RE: Featherlite and Exiss

Expert

I see a lot of these two brands. Go to any Fairground, Endurance race etc and you will see lots of Featherlite and Exiss

I attribute this to them being competitively priced and having most of the features folks want. They also have a large dealer network. Making them easy to buy since they are for sale in lots of places.

I looked at them very closely but choose another much smaller manufacture. Not that these two were not a good buy, I just felt I was getting the features I liked better for the same price with the other brand. You need to look at various trailers and see what features are important to you. How the trailer is made, hings, slam latches, dividers, flooring, lights, door locks etc
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-12-18 3:11 PM (#34189 - in reply to #34179)

Extreme Veteran

Paint...I can't say much about the Exiss..There were no dealers near me to look one over. I did end up buying a Featherlite 3H G/N...It had the features I wanted. It was important to me that it had no middle post on the rear doors.(Northwest rear door option) With a folding rear tack. My practical side wanted more uses for it other than a horse trailer! Hay, moving, etc...It also had a 4' short wall giving me lots of room for a weekend type camper. It is well finished. There were a couple of why did they do it like thats, but all in all I like the trailer. One thing that I feel is the most important issue with any trailer you buy is the service! I had an issue with the brakes. I found the trailer with all the options I wanted at a dealer 300 miles away went and bought it. On the way home I started to wonder about the brakes....they just weren't very potent! An empty trailer usually is on the touchy side! They worked but not real well! I took it to my local Featherlite dealer and they jumped right on it like I had bought it from them. Boy was I relieved! No 600 mile round trips to fix the problem...If there service is still the same I would buy another one....Good Luck!

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-12-18 6:07 PM (#34192 - in reply to #34179)

Expert

I don't think you could go wrong with either. I own a Exiss, have a stock Featherlite as well as friends who own both ( horse trailers with and without LQ)Just buy the one you like.

RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-19 6:56 PM (#34225 - in reply to #34179)

Veteran

I would recommend an Exiss, we have a 2000 Exiss 3 horse Event Slant load.  We have around 50,000 miles on it and have been really happy with it.   We've done only normal maintenance and have had no problems, with the exception of a leaky roof over the gooseneck. 

Were I shopping for a trailer, I would definitely buy an Exiss again, but I would not buy the "sport" model, which is cheaper, but has smaller axles and is not built as solid.

Mr. Trailer
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-19 7:42 PM (#34227 - in reply to #34179)

Sure I could Paint Guy. Since I used to work for Featherlite and currently work at Universal, I could likely go into a great amount of detail for you, but I suspect that you probably knew that already.

I must say that both manufacturers offer a quality trailer. While there are many similarities, there are also many differences. I am of the opinion that Exiss has a smoother/cleaner horse area and is a little heavier built (their 4 horse weighs about 150 pounds more than the Featherlite). I could go on, but that’s not my function here.

All that said, anyone that is seriously looking to spend their hard earned cash on a premium trailer owes it to themselves to look and look hard. Kick tires, slam doors, and don’t just listen to me or any other person who has their opinion of the perfect trailer. Make the choice that works best for your budget, your intended use, and your taste.

Best of luck to you..

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)