'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Opinions on Treeless saddles. Barefoot,Torsion,Bob Marshal

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-10 7:05 AM
16 replies, 9491 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-12-25 3:06 PM (#34392)
Subject: Opinions on Treeless saddles. Barefoot,Torsion,Bob Marshal

Regular

Hello all, I really want to buy a treeless saddle for my favorite trail horse. I have tried many saddles on her and have yet to find one that fits her well. She is one of those round Quarter horses with a flat non-withered back. I have even tried saddles with extra wide trees and they just don't fit right. I am really interested in the treeless saddles and I would like to hear people's opinions of them. Is there anyone out there that has tried a Barefoot or Torsion saddle. They look to be a very simular saddles, but the Barefoot is quite a bit less money, so I was wondering about the quality. I did try a Bob Marshal saddle once and really liked it, but those are more then the other two saddles mentioned and I am on a bit of a budget. Any help or advise on this matter would be appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-12-26 12:19 PM (#34404 - in reply to #34392)
Subject: RE: Opinions on Treeless saddles. Barefoot,Torsion,Bob Marshal

Veteran

Hello!! I have a Bob Marshall Sport Saddle that I use on my VARY round paint gelding. I LOVE IT!! I would never put anything else on him. He is a different beast with that saddle. I tried a BMSS on him & fell in love with it. THEN I seen the price of them... & I was very depressed. I coudn't afford one on my limited budget. So I started looking for a used one. I lucked out & found one for $500.00 that was in excellant condition.

I would recommend looking on the treeless websites for a used BMSS if you like that saddle. You should be able to find one that is in your price range. you could even look on ebay. That might help.

If you can't find a BMSS, check out the other brands on ebay. A friend of mine bought a Hilason and she really likes it. I checked it out myself & will be buying one of them for my 10 yr old son. I think they are a good alternative to the high priced saddles if you want a spare or something like for my son, he is growing so fast!! I can't see spending the money on a BMSS that he is going to out grow in a season.

Just my humble opinion,

rockin_horse72

sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-12-29 8:20 PM (#34520 - in reply to #34392)

Veteran

I love the Bob Marshall saddles. I have one for sale for a friend. It is a 15 inch Bob marshall Circle Y endurance saddle in brown. She wants $750 including shipping if you are interested. It is in great shape. and has EZ rider stirrups. sable@carolina.rr.com if interested.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-09 11:43 AM (#35176 - in reply to #34392)

Elite Veteran

I bought one of the original BM treeless saddles back in '96 and use it on a regular basis on a variety of horses and it's fit everyone of them.  I used it yesterday on a borrowed horse with high withers and rode 20 miles, no problem.  I bought it originally for my mutton withered rather large muscular QH as it was the only saddle to fit him properly. 

If you can buy one, get it cause they are great saddles.

chase
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-01-16 1:49 PM (#35541 - in reply to #34392)

We use a torsion on our little arab barrel. Aside from the price, we are happy with its quality, fit, and comfort.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-17 8:38 AM (#35592 - in reply to #34392)

Extreme Veteran

Working  at a vet clinic I have seen the end results of treeless saddles.  They may seem comfortable for now, but down the road you will have back trouble with your horses.  What happens is the concussion on the spine is no longer protected against when you take the tree away.  Every time you trot you are causing concussion on those vertebrae in the back, which is not a good thing.  More and more studies are showing these saddles are not good for a horses spine.  The best saddle is a custom made saddle for your horse, but not everyone can afford that, so the best thing to do is ensure your saddle is a proper fit.  With the treeless, the saddle conforms to the spine, there is no "gap" to keep the concussion off the spine.  I just thought I would add my 2 cents.  In the long run, a tree will save a horses back, not the treeless saddle. 

Edited by mrstacticalmedic 2006-01-17 8:39 AM
Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-01-17 10:59 AM (#35597 - in reply to #34392)

Veteran

Okay, so you are saying that riding bareback is also bad for the horse? I don't believe that. I think that if you are consistant about getting a spinal channel with your treeless saddle & pad combination, then you are getting the best of both worlds.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-17 1:25 PM (#35609 - in reply to #34392)

Elite Veteran

I rode my QH in it for 5 years and his current owner is also using one and no problems.  My current horse is a TW, so no trotting - he gaits.  I've seen tons of issues with poorly fitting saddles with trees - white hairs, hollow withers, horses that sit down when the saddles are girthed since they don't fit right.

Proper saddle fitting is paramount.  I check my horse's back after and before every ride and so far no white hairs and no soreness, so I plan on sticking with my treeless saddle.  thanks for your caution and I will keep checking him to make sure he's not sore.

sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-01-17 2:18 PM (#35611 - in reply to #35592)

Veteran

Dokesn't the SKITO pad create a channel down the spine? It should since there is no pad along the spine. The SKITO's have about a 3 inch area along the spine that has no pad with the pad and usually ashim pad on the rest of the saddle pad. I would think this would solve the problem. I have ridden them for a long time and had no problems yet. I have had many problems with other saddles and hot spots.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-17 3:48 PM (#35620 - in reply to #34392)

Elite Veteran

I also use the Skito pads - have 4 of them and love em.
Centaura57
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2006-02-13 10:41 AM (#37079 - in reply to #35592)
Subject: RE: Saddle Pads

New User

I'm thinking that the "end result" you have seen is from when treeless first became an option and lots of people didn't realize or think there might be a problem in the spinal area. Nowadays EVERYONE makes sure there's a spinal channel. So I think what you've been seeing has been addressed and rectified.Everyone I've spoken with that own treeless saddles have happier horses, less pain issues, better/smoother gaits, less head tossing - that tells me that the horses like them. I have seen where people have to try two or three different saddles and multiple pad combinations to get the proper fit and spine-saving function, but once they do, saddle issues disappear completely.
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-13 1:32 PM (#37096 - in reply to #35609)

Veteran

I saw that you mentioned white hairs. I just recently noticed white hairs on the fron right side of his back. I am new to this horse thing, and I have been wondering if it could be the saddle. My horse is also quite round. Any other info about this would be appreciated.

Cricket
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-02-14 12:47 PM (#37191 - in reply to #34392)

If your seeing white hairs then it's probably your saddle not fitting. I had a QH mare that I used a saddle I had before I bought her. After awhile she started getting whites hairs just below the wither. I purchased a full bar saddle for her and never had anymore problems. Also if your saddle pad/blanket slips or bunches up under the saddle that also will cause white hairs. White hairs are a sign of nerve damage....It doesn't happen over night...
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-14 12:50 PM (#37192 - in reply to #37191)

Veteran

my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-14 1:00 PM (#37196 - in reply to #37192)

Veteran

Sorry for the previous post, my mind went blank! Ha.  Anyway, thanks for responding.  I had a hunch it was the saddle.  I just noticed it not too long ago.  I have been riding him with the same saddle for 3 years so it might be the saddle or him.  I have an Abetta saddle so maybe it could be the wear of the saddle as well.  He is a Morgan and the poor guy is so round and fat--he is a very easy keeper and needs to be ridden more than he is, especially this time of year.  I like riding in the winter but not in high winds when it is 10 degrees outside.   I also thought about looking into a new saddle pad after reading other postings on this site.  Suggestions welcome.

J D
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-03-10 6:46 AM (#38567 - in reply to #34392)

Are these Treeless saddles that you all are talking of strong enough to rope cattle rap the horn and drag them or ponie off of or just tying off to the horn and drag what ever that you want. I have never seen one I guess my first thought is yea right but I gotta give them a chance so these are my questions.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-03-10 7:05 AM (#38571 - in reply to #34392)

Elite Veteran

Mine doesn't have a horn, but I kinda doubt the ones with a horn would be good for roping.  I don't rope, but the "roping" saddles I've seen were all very substantial strong saddles and the treeless are very lightweight.  Hopefully someone that ropes and is familiar with the treeless saddles will repond.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)