'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton pulling alum 3 horse GN

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-05 11:03 AM
34 replies, 8126 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Saddlebredlover
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-29 2:08 PM (#34504)
Subject: 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton pulling alum 3 horse GN

Regular

I have definetely got the cart before the horse...I recently purchased a new aluminum 3 horse gooseneck with a 4 ft short wall LQ that I'll be pulling my horse and pony around in.  I now am trying to decide on a truck to pull it with.  I keep hearing that a 1/2 ton pick-up won't pull a trailer because it will strain the engine.  Is this true?  I prefer buying a 1/2 ton and paying the gas on a 1/2 ton than a 3/4 ton, if possible.  Any advice?   

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-12-29 2:24 PM (#34505 - in reply to #34504)
Subject: RE: 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton pulling alum 3 horse GN

Veteran

Originally written by Saddlebredlover on 2005-12-29 2:08 PM

"I have definetely got the cart before the horse..."

In my opinion you don't but eveyone's situation is different: What you want to do  (off road, on pavement, trail riding, shows, etc.), how often you want to do it, how much you have to spend, what you find "acceptable" performance, etc.

I wouldn't be happy without my 3/4 diesel but you might be just fine with a 1/2 ton gasser that is rated to pull your loaded trailer weight. 

I started out with 1/2 ton gassers, went to a 3/4 ton gasser. Less than 18 months after getting the 3/4 ton gasser I traded it in on a 3/4 ton diesel.  It was an expensive way to change my mind!  As they say, hindsight is 20-20. I should have gone straight to the 3/4 diesel.  I could have gotten by with the 1/2 ton but I wouldn't have been as pleased with the rig that I have today. I love the torque and virtually effort free pulling.

All depends on what you expect your rig to do.  I certainly understand your desire for economical operation but only you can decide what you will be happy with.

Good luck!

TXAggie
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-29 3:36 PM (#34508 - in reply to #34504)

RollinPonies makes good points.  Ultimately only you can decide what is right for you, your trailer and your needs.  Another point to consider is how often will you be pulling the trailer versus running around empty.  1/2T vs. 3/4T vs. 1T also has a lot to do with GCVW (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight), i.e. how much can you tow and how much weight can the bed carry.  My gooseneck hitch is rated at 30,000# GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) and 7,000# tongue weight - both of which exceed the rated capacity of my 1T.

I have an '03 F-350 V10 (gas) dually and pull a GN weighing about 6,900 empty and rated at 12,168 GVW.  It does fine on level roads, but I can watch the RPMS jump on hills and the gas gauge drop whenever I pull the trailer.  However, I do a reasonable amount of driving with it empty, so it is a good compromise (not to mention gas is cheaper than diesel).

So 3/4T more pulling power, less gas/diesel mileage (assuming different rear ends 3.xx on 1/2T vs. 4.xx on 3/4T), more money.  But then again, the dealers may be more willing to give a good price on a 3/4T cause they don't move as fast as a 1/2T.  Look around, surf the web, be open minded.

Best of luck in your search.

Edited by TXAggie 2005-12-29 3:44 PM
clyde
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-29 4:09 PM (#34511 - in reply to #34504)

I have a 1/2 ton, and pull a 16ft stock trailer.  I also have a tranny that has been upgraded and a power chip.  I stugle to pull 2 large horses, in Iowa where its semi flat.  I do agree with the person with the diesel.  I am getting ready to buy a 2500 HD diesel from B.B in Des MoinesThe salesman there was albe to tell me about the truck with no b.s.(I did my homework before I went)So I do have a 1/2 ton pu for a flower pot if anyone needs one.  By the way you will get beter fuel milage out of a diesel  so the price of fuel will balance out.
bobtaildog
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-12-29 10:56 PM (#34539 - in reply to #34511)

Regular

Go to any horse event where there is a parking lot full of GN Living Qtr trailers and count the number of them being pulled by a 1/2T truck....bet you won't find many....for good reason. 3/4T and 1T trucks are made to haul and pull, not only is a 1/2 T motor not sufficient, neither are the brakes, suspension, or transmission.

KP

cupid
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-12-30 10:08 AM (#34555 - in reply to #34504)

From my research I did not think any 1/2 ton truck could pull a LQ trailer. From other threads it seems they could MAYBE handle a small regular gooseneck. So the first question is, how much does it weigh?

(I've been admiring the Equispirit 3H "straight load" GN (no LQ of any kind, just a tack) and figured I would need at least 3/4 ton to pull it.)

Edited by cupid 2005-12-30 10:15 AM
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-30 6:48 PM (#34581 - in reply to #34539)

Veteran

Originally written by bobtaildog on 2005-12-29 10:56 PM Go to any horse event where there is a parking lot full of GN Living Qtr trailers and count the number of them being pulled by a 1/2T truck....bet you won't find many....for good reason. 3/4T and 1T trucks are made to haul and pull, not only is a 1/2 T motor not sufficient, neither are the brakes, suspension, or transmission.

This is exactly right, I almost never see people at ropings or horse shows with ½ ton trucks as their tow vehicles, and with good reason, ½ ton trucks aren’t made for pulling heavy loads like most horse trailers. If you do see them, they are pulling a small bumper pull trailer, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one pulling a gooseneck.

What is even more important than engine and transmission in a tow vehicle is suspension, brakes and wheel base. Of course you need adequate engine power to pull your vehicle, but you also need a truck that can handle the extra weight on the suspension & brakes. Even if the body looks the same, 1/2 ton trucks are very different underneath from 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. They are often on a lighter duty frame and have much lighter suspension and smaller brakes than the ¾ and 1-ton trucks. If something bad happens, a blowout, a bad stretch of road, a horse comes ‘unglued’ in the trailer etc., you can get into very big trouble with a trailer that is too much for the truck.

Because we couldn’t afford anything larger, our first truck was a ½ ton truck, with a tow package. The trailer we chose was a CM Playday, which is a pretty small two-horse trailer, we chose this trailer because we were very aware of our ½ ton truck’s limitations. As soon as we could afford it we moved up to a ¾ ton truck and then eventually to 1-ton trucks. The difference in braking and stability between the ½ ton and ¾ ton trucks was really significant not only under normal driving conditions, but especially noticeable on rough roads or in wind. There is also a big difference in stability between ¾ and 1-ton trucks.

As for the motor and transmission, while you may save a little on fuel, you will probably find a shortened life for both of these items, especially the transmission, if they are two small for what you are pulling or carrying.

If it were me, I would put safety over saving a few $ on fuel and would get the ¾ ton truck. As you can see from my signature, I pull a 3-horse aluminum gooseneck with a 4-foot short wall, I wouldn’t pull a trailer that large with a ½ ton truck under any circumstances, except maybe under the most dire emergency.

Happy Trails,

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-31 12:18 PM (#34630 - in reply to #34504)

Extreme Veteran

I don't know about the 3 horse gn, but I pulled a 2 horse gn w/living qtrs (26ft long) from Michigan to Boston, Ma and back with 2 16+ hh TB's in there.  I had NO problem whatsoever, no straining through the mountains, and got decent gas mileage.  I have a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 Magnum v8.   I estimate the weight was well over 8000 pounds.  I was able to haul safely, stop safely.  We went through rain, high elevations, you name it.  She hauled beautifully.  I recently hauled the trailer to North Carolina, after selling it.  She hauled great through those mountains as well.  Alot of people use 3/4 tons because that is all they have been told to haul with.   If your 1/2 ton is a new one (90's or later) they are built tougher, and able to do heavier duties.  The magnum v8 in the Dodge Ram is great.  I have never had any problem with it, and I have hauled all over with it.  I currently have over 110,000 miles on this truck and she still purrs like she is brand new.  It is all about maintenance.  If you keep your oil changes regular, replace things before they wear out, have good tires, check your trailer brakes, and get all your joints taken care of, there is no reason you can't haul a 3 horse trailer.  I have seen folks haul a 3 horse trailer here in Michigan.  We have lots of steep hills, and yet you see them at the horse campgrounds alot.   It is just a matter of perspective.  *Also want to add mine is not a 4 x 4 either.

Just my two cents worth.

Linda

Edited by mrstacticalmedic 2005-12-31 12:20 PM
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-12-31 6:36 PM (#34644 - in reply to #34504)

Extreme Veteran

Not all 3/4 tons are made equal either... for instance Chevy and GMC through the years have made "lighter" duty 3/4 tons - usually different by 5 bolt wheels on the lighter ones and 8 bolt wheel on the heavy duty ones... the lighter duty ones have the same size brakes (or pretty close) as a 1/2 ton where the 8 bolts do have larger brakes. I was advised to look out for this when looking for my truck (I'm hauling a 3H with 6 ft LQ).You will find 1/2 tons (properly equipped) out there that will haul your trailer ok.... you will not be winning any races but you will be under load limits and safe. We did it for years when I was a kid on the east coast of Canada (read mountains) and never had any problems. As for engine size - you can get many different engine sizes in both 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons. If it's a new vehicle you are looking for have a look at the Chevy 1500HD, it's a beefed up 1/2 ton with heavier suspension and larger brakes (basically a 3/4 ton), I'm sure Ford or Dodge have similar models as well.If you are only hauling sometimes and the truck will normally be a daily driver then my opinion would be to get a truck that will haul your loaded trailer on the upper end of it's safety limits, that way you are not risking safety, but you are also not getting more truck than you need. Or do what I did and buy and older truck to haul the trailer and get a small car for commuting.
Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-01-01 1:00 PM (#34673 - in reply to #34504)

Veteran

I have a 96 Chevy Z71 1/2 ton with the 5.7 vortec engine.  It is 4 wheel drive and has the tow package with transmission cooler.  I have over 200,00 miles on it and I pull a 20 ft on the floor steel trailer with 6 ft short wall living quarters.  I usually only have 2 horses, as I use the 3rd stall for storage.  Most of the miles on this truck has been pulling the trailer as I do a lot of trail riding and since I'm in Kansas it's usually a 2 to 4 hour drive to get anywhere with good trails, have also hauled to South Dakota with 3 horses in it.  I have never had any problems with hills or flat land.  I do have my transmission back flushed once a year and have never had any transmission problems. 
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-01-01 1:42 PM (#34676 - in reply to #34630)

Veteran

one thing you have to realize even if your 1/2 ton truck can pull it it might not be legal wt wise.  YOu are most likely gonna be over wt especially with a small lq or wkender 3 h. 

I have a 3/4 ton gasser and a 18 ft 3h steel titan renegrade trailer with a 4ft short wall lq/wkender.   After figuring the what the legal wts are i find that I am over my pickups wt limit when I haul 4 horses in it.  I was looking at getting a 4 h and didnt think i would need to get a bigger truck.  I am wrong on thinking that.   I have hauled 5 horses in my trailer with my truck and it pulled it just fine.  

If you are ever in an accident and you are over wt you will probably be at fault then.   You want to make sure your truck is gonna be safe when stuck in a emergency situation.  Want to make sure you are gonna be able to stop or handle the truck.

I dont think many people realize this for I often see alot of people pulling trailers that are undertrucked.  

Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-01-01 2:42 PM (#34677 - in reply to #34504)

Veteran

How do you haul 4 & 5 horses in a 3 horse trailer?  Also if your 18ft trailer is over the limit for your 3/4 ton, you must have an extremely heavy trailer or a very light duty 3/4 ton truck.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-01 2:56 PM (#34678 - in reply to #34677)

Extreme Veteran

The thing about legal weight limits threw me off.  I thought that only mattered if you were driving a semi with a cdl license that you had to worry about legal weight limits.  Can someone educate me on this please?  When I bought my trailer I was never told there was a legal weight limit that a non commercial vehicle had to abide by.
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-01 4:20 PM (#34681 - in reply to #34504)

Elite Veteran

Just get a 3/4 ton.  Trust me. . .  you'll be sorry if you try to pull it with a 1/2 ton.  Get a diesel, the mileage is better
3Turns'Nhome
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2006-01-01 9:50 PM (#34696 - in reply to #34504)

I agree - the bigger the better -  diesel is also better than gasoline engine for pulling a trailer. 

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-01 11:07 PM (#34698 - in reply to #34504)

Extreme Veteran

Again...it is all a matter of perspective.  I have seen my ram 1500 pass some of the bigger trucks hauling up in the mountains.  As far as diesel is concerned yes it has more pull power to a slight degree, but you are going to pay a lot more in fuel costs and maintenance.  If you can afford it...go for it..why not?  For those of us who do our homework, we know what a good newer vehicle can do.  Todays 1/2 tons are the 60's version of a 3/4 or even a 1 ton.  They are built for more pulling power, longer durability, and more fuel efficient than those in the 60, 70, or even the 80's. 

If you intend on hauling Clydesdales, Warmbloods, etc..yep get the bigger truck, but half the time I see folks hauling a 3 horse trailer with maybe 2 horses in it! 

Linda

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-01 11:11 PM (#34699 - in reply to #34678)

Expert

Originally written by mrstacticalmedic on 2006-01-01 1:56 PM

The thing about legal weight limits threw me off.  I thought that only mattered if you were driving a semi with a cdl license that you had to worry about legal weight limits.  Can someone educate me on this please?  When I bought my trailer I was never told there was a legal weight limit that a non commercial vehicle had to abide by.

Ignorance is not a legal defense, (just try it in court ... LOL)  Trailer places sell trailers, not legal advice

There are two issues with weight.

1- your state's regulations. For example:  A class C (Reg car) license in NC may tow a vehicle up to 10,000 pounds GVWR.  (notice this is the rating, not the actual weight) More than that, I would need a class "A" Generally if your vehicle's GVWR is more than 26,000 pounds you need a CDL anyway.  Besides the fines & hassle... Getting your loaded trailer impounded begets all sorts of problems with your horses.  Even if you can find a driver with the appropriate license.

2-Your tow vehicle's CGVWR must be high enough to pull the loaded trailer.  Otherwise you're over loaded and in a bad spot if involved in a wreck.  Actually, you're in a bad spot already since you're overloaded.

Stuck in NH
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-01-02 7:42 AM (#34708 - in reply to #34504)

2-Your tow vehicle's CGVWR must be high enough to pull the loaded trailer.

I might beg to differ.  As a class A driver, I find that our class 8 trucks are usually rated for 52k, but are registered for 104k.  At a DOT inspection, all that is checked is the registration to make sure we paid for 104k.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-02 7:52 AM (#34709 - in reply to #34698)

Expert

It's not how fast you can go upa hill that counts with hauling.  It's how well you can stop on the other side of that hill and how hard you engine has to work to pull you trailer that really counts.  When you make a decision to haul horses, that should be your main focus when buying a tow vehicle.  It should not matter that the vehicle is your run around vehicle too.  Your safety, as well as the safety of those on the road around you!, should be the most important factor in your decision.  It really drives me crazy when people say, "I only tow occasionally so I don't really need to buy the best tow vehicle to suit my trailer."  It only takes one mistake to cause a major accident.
Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-01-02 7:55 AM (#34710 - in reply to #34504)

Veteran

Back in the 50's & 60's when I used to go to horse events with my grandpa, most of the people pulled 2 horse trailers with their cars.  And they had 2 horses in them, and I'm sure the trailers were a lot heavier made.  I had an uncle that pulled his with an olsmobile from one side of the United States to the other for several years.  And now it seems everyone thinks you must have a 1 ton diesel to even be safe.  My son is a diesel tech, and as far as the new trucks go they have increased the horsepower so much (way more then needed for most people) that the fuel economy is as bad as the gas trucks.  So you end up paying more in the beginning for the truck and then more for the fuel.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-02 11:17 AM (#34722 - in reply to #34708)

Expert

Originally written by Stuck in NH on 2006-01-02 6:42 AM

2-Your tow vehicle's CGVWR must be high enough to pull the loaded trailer.

I might beg to differ.  As a class A driver, I find that our class 8 trucks are usually rated for 52k, but are registered for 104k.  At a DOT inspection, all that is checked is the registration to make sure we paid for 104k.

Stuck:  What is your point? 

If a truck is rated for 22,000 pounds (GM one ton diesels for example) combined gross vehicle weight rating by the manufacturer.  Is it acceptable to have a trailer & truck weighing 104,000 pounds if your registration says so? 

I would say not.  Regardless of the licensing state.  No one ignores the laws of physics without peril.

efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-01-03 7:29 AM (#34775 - in reply to #34504)

Elite Veteran

Ok,heres some clarification of the legal issue for NON COMMERCIAL, PRIVATE USE RECREATINAL PICK UPS.

When your trailer weight exceeds the MAXIMUM ALLOWED towing capacity set by the manufacturer and you exceed your CGVWR by hauling said trailer, any accident you are involved in while MOVING, other than being rear ended possibly, WILL be your fault. As you have the vehicle operating outside the rated limitations as set forth by said manufacturer. In english this means you up the creek, no paddle, and going to lose everything you ever thought of owning because you "CAN" pull a trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. Your insurance company will NOT cover your loss because you made the choice. And WHEN you go to court, not if, and are SUED by the other parties involved for damages, you WILL LOSE. Been there, seen it, don't ever want it to happen to me.

MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-03 7:59 AM (#34781 - in reply to #34504)

Extreme Veteran

Efaubert1 brings up some really good points on this topic. The thing is, today's horse trailers are not what they were in the 50s and 60s, they are so much bigger!!! So we have to have bigger trucks to safely pull them. Today's pickup truck has also turned into the family recreational vehicle so yes they are being made bigger to accomodate our luxuries. Just about everything has gotten bigger over the years. I guess the saying bigger is better holds true in some eyes. Tractors, motorhomes, boats, Wallyworld, the double wopper, people................
Stuck in NH
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-01-03 11:06 AM (#34805 - in reply to #34504)

Stuck:  What is your point? 

My point is that if we use the manufacturer's GCWR as LAW,  then any commercial vehicle accident would automatically be the fault of the driver & trucking company.

Did you actually read Chevy's definition of GCWR?  I picked it up for you from here       http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/

GCWR: The Gross Combination Weight Rating is the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer. A properly equipped tow vehicle and trailer at the maximum GCWR should be able to accelerate and merge with traffic, climb typical interstate grades at highway speeds, handle the combination on virtually all road surfaces and stop adequately within a reasonable distance

There is alot of room for interpertation there. 

I believe that with enough insurance money at stake, any lawyer can eventually get a judgement against a party that failed to control their vehicle.  Overloaded or not.

Stuck believes the laws of physics cannot even be applied if you don't read the fine print.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-03 1:01 PM (#34813 - in reply to #34504)

Expert

If doing the horse thing with a gooseneck trailer or even a bumper pull of THREE horse configuration AND about to BUY a new or USED truck if even gas GET a 2500.They just PLAIN work better and hold up better towing any kind of weight.SAFER also.I have a 1500.It hauls feed,pinestraw,grocerys.years back I even pulled with a 2500 350 etc.But NOT a 1500 for any serious travel towing anything more then a bass boat.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)