'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
I am looking to purchase.trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-07 11:56 PM
18 replies, 5157 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jsdjeanne
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-02 10:19 PM (#34762)
Subject: I am looking to purchase.trailer

I am looking to purchasse a trailer, looking at a 2 horse.  I am confused, what brand to get?  Sundowner says it is the best, Trail-et says it's the best, where's a girl to go?!?!?  Looking at a goose, looking at a bumper, now I am really confused!!  Please advise!!  jsdjeanne
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dbelling
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-01-03 5:25 AM (#34769 - in reply to #34762)
Subject: RE: I am looking to purchase.trailer

Regular

I have a 2 horse bp trail-et and I really like it.  I have the sway bars and tension bars so it pulls great.  I purchased mine used.  It was a 1999 used 6 times by the original owner so it was like new.  Of course each trailer manuf. will say they are the best.  I think when you ask owners of the particular trailer that you get the best source of unbiased info.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-03 7:32 AM (#34777 - in reply to #34762)

Extreme Veteran

All you can do is start asking around to seek info on the particular brands you are interested in. People love to talk about their trailers so you shouldn't have  a problem with that. Visit different horse functions, like a horse expo, there are usually dealers there with their trailers you can check out. Otherwise do a search on those brands of trailers on this site to view past posts on them, good or bad.

Good luck, take you time and do your research before signing that check.

jsdjeanne
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-03 8:24 AM (#34782 - in reply to #34762)

Many thanks for your input, I am really glad I tripped upon this site, it is really great!!  Going to look at Exiss today...I noticed a goose that would look nice in the front yard.  Any ideas of slant versus straightload?  Thanks again for your input,  Jeanne  jsdjeanne
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-03 8:57 AM (#34786 - in reply to #34762)

Expert

What you end up with will be determined by your budget, what you will haul (horses and such), and your tow vehicle.  If you have a truck rated to tow and can afford a GN, I'd go with that because they just haul better than a BP.  The trailer construction will be determined by where you live and if you can store it inside.  A good quality aluminum will not deteriorate as quickly as a steel or alum/steel combo.  They do cost more but they have better resale value too.  The brand might be determined by which dealers you have within a reasonable distance and the dealer's reputation for service.  DON'T be swayed by massive advertising!  That does not mean it is a good trailer.
thomast
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-01-03 9:47 AM (#34795 - in reply to #34762)

New User

Go with what makes you happy. If you are going to spend that much money do it on something thats your desion. I have a couple here that you might be intrested in. My number is 1-229-228-5297. Call me if you want. Thanks and good luck.

Jessica

Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-01-03 1:58 PM (#34818 - in reply to #34762)

Veteran

WOW, you have left yourself open to all sorts of opinions. Bottom line, only you know exactly what you will be using the trailer for, how much you will use it, how long you intend on keeping it, how much you want to spend on it, etc. I will give you some things to think about that may help you narrow things down a little bit.

* Consider how long you want to keep the trailer. Is this something you plan on having for 10 years or are you looking at something to use for 3 - 5 years until you can upgrade? If you want something for long term, start out with something newer and get good quality so it will last for 10 years. You don't have to buy new, but you probably don't want to start out with an 8 year old trailer if you plan on keeping it for 10 years.

* If you will be selling it in the next 3 - 5 years, which trailers will hold their resale value best in your area so you can recoup some money? Do straight loads or slants sell better in your area?

* What features are important to you? Make a list of the "must haves" and the "would likes" and keep those with your when you're looking. If you aren't sure what all you need, talk to people in your area and look at their trailers and ask if they like certain features. For example, Rear Tack verses forward tack. Look at several different brands and see if any stand out as meeting your needs for the price you are willing to pay.

* How much can your vehicle tow? Make sure to keep the total weight below the vehicle towing capacity. Trailers will vary quite a bit in weight depending on how they are made and what they are made of.

I know exactly what you mean about everything being so confusing. I spent about 2 months looking and researching before I purchased mine. It was hard waiting that long, but I got exactly what I was looking for and I couldn't be happier. I will tell you that my first trailer was a 2H bumper pull straight load with under manger tack. My new trailer is a 2H GN slant. My first trailer made it very evident to me what I definitely wanted in my new trailer. I think the BP verses GN debate depends a lot on how large of a trailer you want. If you are looking for a smaller 2H with a small dressing room, a BP would be just fine. If you want something a little longer, consider a GN. Mine is very easy to hook up, maneuver to park, and to pull and I'm very glad I went that route. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Good luck in your search.

OK-Cowboy
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-01-03 4:00 PM (#34823 - in reply to #34762)

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=58037
OK-Cowboy
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-01-03 4:01 PM (#34824 - in reply to #34762)

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=47238
OK-Cowboy
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-01-03 4:02 PM (#34825 - in reply to #34762)

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=47924

THOSE THREE MY FIT YOU. DUNNO.

jsdjeanne
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-03 6:28 PM (#34838 - in reply to #34762)

Well, I certainly have a lot to think about!!  Everybody has given me such great advice.  I looked at Exiss and Sundowner today, I really liked the Sundowner.  Both were gooses.  I'll have to learn to pull all over again.  Ya'll better buy stock in mailboxes and telephone poles!!  Many thanks,  jsdjeanne
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-01-04 4:28 AM (#34846 - in reply to #34762)

Extreme Veteran

Yes, you just have to look around to see what's important to you.
I take it you live close to me?  Well, it's the surface of the sun here in summer so that helped me make the decision to get the trailer I have now.  It's a Silver Star (2h gn) with fully insulated roof, drop windows in the front and slats in the rear (no bus windows)
(pics in the link below)
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-04 10:22 AM (#34861 - in reply to #34762)

Expert

Good advice thus far- figure out how much you can afford, then you have think about what your going to need in a trailer then WANT in a trailer. Overnights? Just day hauling? Need a bit of comfort? My first GN was pretty plain jane basic- but it did the job. I couldn't afford much more at that time so while I was using it I started to pay attention to other rigs. Right off I wanted all aluminum, then a small LQ with no shower. I didn't get hung up of brands- just had a general idea of what I wanted in features. I found what I wanted- Exiss but I was open to other brands. So keep looking but keep your options open.
lemannaide
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-06 11:12 AM (#35012 - in reply to #34762)
Subject: I am looking ot purchase a trailer

Like many have said, you really have to do your own re-search and get the best quality for your budget. I saw where some people said you should get all aluminum. That is not necessarily true. A steel frame is of a sturdier material, but make sure it is galvanized steel to prevent rusting and if not check to see how it is sealed and coated. You may want to contact Mr. Trailer to see if he has a list of decent ones or any to stay away from. That may be your best bet, to weed out the least quality ones, because they are definately out there. Also, is this going to be a trailer you are going to keep for many many years to come, or is it going to be a stepping stone? Good Luck!!! I have my opinions on trailers, but it is just like trucks, we all stick with our preferred make.
jsdjeanne
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-06 7:16 PM (#35043 - in reply to #35012)

Many thanks, gosh, I am overwhelmed by the response on this site. This is great!! Ya'll are all wonderful to share you thoughts with me. I think I have decided on a 2 horse goose slant. That way if I want to sleep in the goose I can. Now for financing...25
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-07 7:57 AM (#35054 - in reply to #34762)

Expert

Most dealers will finance. If you buy from a private party, your on your own.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-09 6:30 PM (#35203 - in reply to #34762)

Extreme Veteran

Most major banks will do a loan on horse trailers as an rv loan.  Fifth Third offers really good rates and are not quite as strict on credit as some other banks are.  Lucky for me I will be shopping for a truck and trailer this spring.  I decided to upgrade to a f250 4x4 and go up to a 3 horse slant w/living qtrs.  After being cramped in a weekender package..I decided I needed a full sized shower and a real sized commode!  I checked out Leonard Truck and Trailer in Ohio and I think I will making an over night trip down there in March to pick out a trailer!  They have like over a thousand to choose from! 

By the way I hauled a 2 horse w/living qtrs with no trouble with my ram 1500.  My trailer was 26ft long and weighed 4500 pounds. 

But my truck is getting older, (aren't we all!) and so I decided to get a new truck and trailer happy 40th birthday to me!  lol.. 

jsdjeanne
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-09 8:04 PM (#35214 - in reply to #35203)

Best of luck with your new purchase!! I think I'll be happy with this 2 horse slant/goose; I will be able to sleep in the goose part if I so wish. It will be quieter than the tack stall!! Happy birthday, enjoy your truck and trailer. Always, Jeanne jsdjeanne
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-07 11:56 PM (#36702 - in reply to #34762)

Expert

hello which trailer did you go with??? i am also looking at trailer and sundowner 777 side ramp or elite side ramp please let me know thank you 11
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)