'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse 'Collars"

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-02 3:30 AM
11 replies, 6465 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-05 7:53 PM (#34988)
Subject: Horse 'Collars"

Regular

Hi all, I am a long time horse person, but have focused on showing for most of my horsey-career. I am wanting to get into trail riding (no week long trips- just daily rides), and have seen horse collars (like that you would put on a dog) advertised to be safe for tying your horse. Of course, the catalogs say they are good and safe to use, but the only thing I can think of is a broken neck.... Does anyone out there use these collars? Any one have any opinions?? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-06 8:00 AM (#35002 - in reply to #34988)
Subject: RE: Horse 'Collars"

Elite Veteran

Hello kickshaw44 and welcome to the site. I STRONGLY suggest you don't take your show horse on the trail unless you have done a lot of preperation with your favorite show horse.

1. teach your horse to "ground tie" first or find a horse that is already trained to do it.

2. teach your horse to quietly trailer tie and be patient while you are not right there with him.

3. de-spook your trail horse as much as you can.

4. "sack out" your trail horse so if you get caught in a rain shower you can put a poncho on without having a trainwreck on your hands.

5. borrow a seasoned trail horse from a friend or lease one for a year before you convert your show horse to the trail.

My first trail horse that I owned was an 1/2 arab mare that was trained english and shown in hunter pleasure. She is still my best show horse and shows in the ribbons everytime. I have since moved on to a more suitable trail horse, but I still ride her on the trail. I was lucky enough to start riding with an exerpienced group of riders and learned a lot from them. Find an experienced horseman that you trust to help you and your horse have a safe and enjoyable time while on the trail. Ride with a group and try to buddy up with a "cowboy/cowgirl" that has a lot of exeprience on the trail to help you and your horse be safe. Trail riding is one my favorite past times and probably one of the most dangerous things I do for recreation.

If you have to resort to the latest thing/gimmick to tie your horse, you are taking a short cut. Train the horse, use a regular halter with a breakaway strap to keep your horse from damaging his pole in case he does spook at something while tied. Happy trails.

Edited by deranger 2006-01-06 8:04 AM
kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-07 9:25 AM (#35063 - in reply to #34988)

Regular

deranger,
Thanks for your input, but I'm not sure that I presented my question the way that I wanted to.Both of my ex-*show* horses (they are retired old men) ground tie, cross tie, straight tie, etc. In addition, I would be willing to bet they are more 'sacked out' than any trail horse out there. They aren't spooky, and are definitely sane enough to not need a sitter, or re-training for the trail.

My question: Does any one out there who trail rides (camps, packs, etc.) use these new 'collars'? I was just wondering if anyone had found them to actually work- because they seem that they could be pretty dangerous.

Thanks,
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-01-07 1:50 PM (#35075 - in reply to #34988)

Kickshaw:  we are using collars on some of our horses and have had no problems (yet!).  The collars work really well for grooming and can be left on without interfering with bridles.  We have hooked horses to the high line at camp with the collar and find that the escape artists that can get out of a halter can't get out of the collar.  The horses seem to accept the collars well too. 
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-07 4:19 PM (#35086 - in reply to #34988)

Elite Veteran

I've been using collars for years.  Years ago, I'd put 2 large dog collars together to make a horse collar.  Used them for endurance and/or competitive trail.  I've never had a problem with them.  Alot easier than toting a halter if riding without a halter/bridle, to tie your horse for lunch break.

Nancy

flying bya ez
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-01-10 8:37 PM (#35280 - in reply to #34988)

I had a bad experience with one of those collars in a cross tie. The horse went down and the collar got up around the small of the neck and just about choked the horse. She was about out by the time we got the ropes cut.I do see lots of these on horses on the trail rides, but it scares me after the experience I had. 
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-10 9:11 PM (#35283 - in reply to #34988)

Expert

For trail riding we use biothane halter bridles.  easy care and sturdy.  Riding and camping point to point for a week, we used a high tie.  Didn't want to be lugging a lot of stuff.  Sounds like the collar would be another piece of "stuff" to us.

Do a search on "Prussic loop" It's even better than the store bought knot saver

kat
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-01-10 10:36 PM (#35285 - in reply to #34988)

How did a simple question about a collar get a response that's an essay on how to prep your show horse for a trail ride?? That was borderline rude, and presumptuous.

If I asked you what you like for breakfast, would you tell me your shoe size?

I like the idea of the collars, but I have one horse that every now and again, gets claustrophobic. Now he hasn't gotten 'worried' in several years, but my gut says no to collars for him. I don't want him to try to sit back in one. (yes, he's broke to tie, broke to death. I think sometimes he just gets brain fade, and yeah, he's had some bad crosstieing/beating history. He's earned his worries. )

dbelling
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-01-11 5:50 AM (#35289 - in reply to #34988)

Regular

I like the collar when I am taking the halter off to bridle.  I put the collar on just for safety so that my horse doesn't pull away and take off.  They are nice to use on the high line because the horse can lie down and you can tie shorter than with a halter.
kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-11 9:23 AM (#35313 - in reply to #34988)

Regular

Thank you all very much for your insights... they have been very helpful!
glori
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-01 3:58 PM (#36390 - in reply to #35002)

lighten up
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-02-02 3:30 AM (#36416 - in reply to #34988)

Veteran

I haven't used the collars but have thought about it. I use a neck rope on my mare when we stop. That way I can leave the bridle on, throw the neck rope on her tie her up. I would think it would be about the same as the collar. I'd just try it on them at home first.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)