'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cleaning an aluminum trailer floor???

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-08 8:45 PM
7 replies, 5776 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-01-07 7:37 AM (#35052)
Subject: Cleaning an aluminum trailer floor???

Elite Veteran

How do I clean the aluminum floor? I power-washed it after removing the mats... I want to make certain that the floor doesn't corrode. Can you put Rhino coating on it? or would it mess up on the underside?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-07 7:54 AM (#35053 - in reply to #35052)
Subject: RE: Cleaning an aluminum trailer floor???

Expert

I have usually removed the mats,cleaned it off with soap and water then used a product called zep -alum- I bought it at a RV and trailer store- its better than a acid wash. I do this once a year, after I am pretty much done with the trailer for the year. Otherwise, I'd just keep the trailer cleaned out after you use it, sweep out the shavings and or straw. If you keep it well bedded when hauling,urine will be absorbed by the bedding material and the floor will be fine.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-07 9:02 AM (#35057 - in reply to #35052)

Extreme Veteran

Same as farmbabe, remove the mats, scrub the floor and have tried the Zep-Alum too, great stuff!!! Make sure the floor is dry before putting the mats back down.

As far as the Rhino lining, that stuff is awesome. I have it in two of our truck's beds and it is tough stuff. Sundowner uses something called Suncoat( I think) on their trailer floors and now on parts of the goosenecks. You still have to put floor mats down on top of it but as far as protecting the aluminum floor from urine and manure I would love to have it in my trailer. I'm not sure how the Rhino lining works on aluminum as I have heard on here that it doesn't adhere to aluminum very well and will peel off. I would contact Rhino and find out.

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-08 9:49 AM (#35107 - in reply to #35052)

Elite Veteran

I put Rhino-lining on my trailer floor about 4 years ago when I noticed some corrosion starting. I would do it again in a heartbeat, except---I would not listen to the dealer who knew nothing about horses tell me I didn't need to put the mats back down. Even with shavings, my "paw-er" managed to wear a spot and in retrospect I don't think I had enough cushioning. That said, the rhino has worn exceptionally well and makes cleanup under the mats very easy.
pegasus
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-01-08 1:52 PM (#35121 - in reply to #35052)

Regular

This question is for Terri in Kansas, please, or anyone who is willing to share:I want to get my aluminum trailer floor "Rhino lined" but there's no dealer near where I live and no one will give me even an approximate cost without seeing my trailer, even though I have dimensions and just want an idea if it's feasible. Would you mind telling me what you paid to have yours done and also what are the dimensions or square footage? Any other areas done besides floor? You can e-mail me privately if you want. Thanks so much.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-08 3:20 PM (#35125 - in reply to #35121)

Expert

Originally written by pegasus on 2006-01-08 1:52 PM

This question is for Terri in Kansas, please, or anyone who is willing to share:I want to get my aluminum trailer floor "Rhino lined" but there's no dealer near where I live and no one will give me even an approximate cost without seeing my trailer, even though I have dimensions and just want an idea if it's feasible. Would you mind telling me what you paid to have yours done and also what are the dimensions or square footage? Any other areas done besides floor? You can e-mail me privately if you want. Thanks so much.

I think the local guy told me approx $5 per sq ft for a thin sealing coat, then a top thick coat a couple or three days later. I multiplied out the 8ft by 24ft by $5 - decided hauling mats was cheap gym_work, so I keep doing it.
{edit}
He said he would allow a bit of overspray to go up the walls a few inches.
I took this to mean (in part) that he wouldn't bother taping.

Part of the reason they won't give you a price MIGHT have to do with whether or not your trailer will fit in their shop, or if they would have to drag everything out and do it in the open. My local guy had wanted me to bring it in before giving an estimate, we discussed overall size vs floor size and eventually he understood that the 6ft I didn't want done was the dr/tack area.
A_nother reason might be that they just don't like giving out estimates to folk who are merely price shopping.
There's also the fact that most pick-up beds can probably be done from a simple short boom hose, they HAVE top access, i.e. they won't (can't ?) do it if you take a truck in there with a cap on it. Getting INTO a horse trailer through DOORS probably is difficult to think through without seeing the trailer.
{end edit}

Edited by Reg 2006-01-08 3:34 PM
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-08 6:52 PM (#35133 - in reply to #35052)

Elite Veteran

Reg makes an excellent point-my trailer just barely fit in their paint booth. But to answer Pegasus question, my trailer was about 53 square feet and I think it was just under $300, which sounds high, but it's all I can do to wrestle around the trailer mats-city girl, you know! Armorthane coatings would be well worth looking into also, from what I've seen they are similar quality and generally lower in price. With my trailer they also used a blast media to prep the floor (included in cost, but you might be prepared.) Good luck
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-08 8:45 PM (#35143 - in reply to #35052)

Veteran

I wonder how that price would compare to the WERM flooring, since it's the same "principle".  (& if either guarantee is better than the other)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)