'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
single axel trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-08 7:34 PM
7 replies, 3192 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cinfulsager
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-07 11:10 AM (#35067)
Subject: single axel trailers

New User

How safe is a single axel 2 horse gooseneck with partial living quarters?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-07 11:50 AM (#35068 - in reply to #35067)
Subject: RE: single axel trailers

Extreme Veteran

For me I don't think much of a single axle trailer. I think they only serve their useful purpose as a lawn mower trailer hauling only that.

In a horse trailer with a single axle and you are traveling 55 mph down the road and you blow a tire, can be especially dangerous.  Not to mention changing that blown out tire with two horses on board , you basically have to unload the crew. With a double axle, obviously you can change the tire with horses on board and can even travel on three tires until you reach a place to fix the bad one. I like the stability of a double axle trailer, in any trailer.

Think about your's, your horse's, and other's safety on the road before purchasing a single axle trailer.

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-01-07 12:18 PM (#35069 - in reply to #35067)

Extreme Veteran

Hmmm....IMHO I think it is safe although it would not be my preference...I would make sure the trailer tires are rated to handle there load and maybe replace them a little sooner than a tandem. Even over tire it. They are all a pain when they go flat....and I would have no problem changing a flat with horses in it. Just make sure you have a jack that works and some blocks! You still need a jack on most equilizing spring axles...Torsion types work the best...just drive er up on a block with the good wheel and change it.. People with tandem axle trailers have had tires go bad and it takes out the other with it. Then what? 2 spares? I'd worry about the front tire of the tow rig more..... or a rear on a SRW truck.....MY $.02

Added after a bit of thinking....Brakes! I would want to know how well they worked...and know my stopping distance.....

Edited by xyzer 2006-01-07 1:21 PM
santelikk
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-01-07 3:06 PM (#35081 - in reply to #35067)

Regular

I would think that single axle would be pretty darn safe.  Back to our geometry days it takes 3 points to define a plane (two tires and GN).  I would imagine when the tire goes you are going to damage the rim pretty badly too.  I like xyz's logic of replacing sooner and over (tire-ing).

Kevin

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-07 3:10 PM (#35082 - in reply to #35067)

Elite Veteran

Just a few questions;

1. where is the axle placed under the trailer?

2. how many tires are on the axle?

3. how old is the trailer?

4. how many horses was it designed to haul?

5. is the trailer a name brand or home made?

6. do you own it or just thinking about buying one?

Let me know what your answers are so that I'm better equiped to help you. Happy trails.

heritage lane farm
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-08 8:17 AM (#35101 - in reply to #35067)

Regular

Let me get this straight (as I am sitting here with my mouth dropped open!), a 2 horse gooseneck with partial living quarters and SINGLE AXEL???? In my almost forty years of trailering experience, I have never even seen a trailer like this. Perhaps there is reason for this???? Margins of safety is the name of game in hauling horses responsibly. I can not imagine an adequate safety margin on that axel, and what about stability with 2 horses clamoring, frighten by a passing fire truck, or flat going down the interstate, etc., etc. Please pass on that trailer...don't buy trouble by "saving" a few bucks, and don't think worse case scenarios won't happen to you...if you are around long enough, they happen!

Just my 2 cents!

Brenda

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-08 9:39 AM (#35105 - in reply to #35067)

Elite Veteran

I'm that person who had a blowout on the highway at 55 mph, with a horse that does not trailer altogether that well anyway. If I had any doubts before, there is no way I would consider a single axle now.
cinfulsager
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-08 7:34 PM (#35135 - in reply to #35105)

New User

Thanks for your input!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'