'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need Input/Advise on Water Heater

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-09 7:40 PM
8 replies, 4328 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-08 10:24 AM (#35111)
Subject: Need Input/Advise on Water Heater

Veteran

Two years ago I purchased a trailer that has living quarters, but it is not self-contained.  The woman's husband finished it out for her, and since she traveled alone most of the time she didn't want to mess with any tanks.  This trailer is all-electric and has the following:  AC w/heat strip, college dorm-sized microwave, lights, stereo, tv, and refrigerator (runs on either 12volt or 110).  The water is a direct hookup, there is no tank, so cold water is all I get.  It drains directly to the ground.

I am toying with the idea of setting it up so that I have hot water if I need it.  From what I can tell my only easy options are point-of-use heaters that would fit under the sink.  They come either gas or electric powered.  I'm concerned that if I get electric I might overload something if I'm running the refrigeration, microwave, TV and a portable electric heater all at the same time.  Making sure I only run a couple of items at a time would be a nuisance.  However, I'm also concerned that using a gas heater would involve more work with venting and it would need to be professionally done.  I've checked into camping supplies and found a Coleman water heater, but it says for outdoor use only.  Again that venting issue.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.    

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-01-08 11:25 AM (#35114 - in reply to #35111)
Subject: RE: Need Input/Advise on Water Heater

Extreme Veteran

Kesta,

In 2001 I converted a 4ft shortwall into a weekender and encluded a propane water heater. If you have room for one, I'd suggest going ahead and doing that. It's more costly up front, but you can have hot water with or without electrial hookup, and that is really nice. I put in the heater, water lines, and water pump and my husband ran the black pipe. The gas water heaters do not require an outside vent.

Good Luck,
Betty

Edited by bjhouten 2006-01-08 11:30 AM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-01-08 1:19 PM (#35118 - in reply to #35111)

Expert

My water heater is electric (and most of the ones I've seen in weekend packages are) It does require a generator or a 110w electric hook up. It takes a few minutes to heat up the water.

If you are plugged into your house or shore power, it probably won't matter what else you use at the same time. If you run off a generator, (unless it's a big one) you will have to consider what else is running when you turn on the water heater. Just like I can't turn on my A/C & Microwave at the same time, I can't turn on my A/C & Hot water at the same time.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-08 2:29 PM (#35122 - in reply to #35111)

Elite Veteran

If I was doing a LQ on my old trailer I would do a search for a salvage RV yard and buy a used water heater for a RV and be done with a lot of hassle. You can find propane anywhere, a 12V power source is a snap, hook up couldn't be easier and then you are selfcontained. The water pump can be purchased at the same time and you can get really creative with a water holding tank. As for the gray water tank, any size and shape is available on line. A big plus is you making a modification to your trailer that is closer to what is the industry standard and possilby adding some resale value to your trailer at the same time. Happy trails.
Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-09 7:17 AM (#35158 - in reply to #35111)

Veteran

Thanks for the info. I don't have a generator -- just run off hookups once I get to the show. On the way there I run 12volt for lights and to keep the refrigerator going. I just assumed I would blow something if I had too much electrical going on at once. I say this because when I hook up to regular 110 at a show, sometimes my lights won't come on. I have to put an adapter so I can plug in to the 220. Then everything seems fine. I don't know why this is. My husband says there must be a converter switch somewhere and we need to find it.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2006-01-09 3:55 PM (#35192 - in reply to #35111)

Extreme Veteran

If you're thinking about the Coleman water heater, I recommend it highly.  I have a 4ft shortwall DR that I'm in the process of finishing out for some occassional camping.  I'm not going whole hog with a refrig, air conditioning, etc., but my husband will be installing some lights and a fan and I'll be hooking up to a deep cycle battery.  For now, I use the Coleman water heater to shower and for cleaning dishes, etc. and I love the little thing.  You can get about 4-5 hours out of a battery charge and it can be recharged through your cigarette lighter and you can easily change the propane bottle when empty.  When we camp, I clean out the horse area and use it for a bathroom with the water heater and a portable potty. It's not air tight, so I don't worry about burning up all the oxygen with that water heater.
Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-09 4:24 PM (#35195 - in reply to #35111)

Veteran

We went camping (tents on a river bank) last July with some friends. They had one of those little Coleman water heaters that he purchased at the wholesale club for dirt cheap. It worked great. We washed our dishes using it and the wife said she's taken showers with it using a shower head attachment. I've checked them out and they all have the warning on them "For Outdoor Use Only". I want something that I can use inside the living area of my trailer.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-01-09 7:31 PM (#35210 - in reply to #35111)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with bjhouten on going ahead and spending the extra to have a gas hot water heater. 

My trailer has a gas furnance, gas refrigerator, and electric hot water heater.  I've played with the idea of having the hot water heater replaced but I can't justify the cost when my electric hot water heater is still working fine.  When I'm on vacation, I usually have electric and can take a shower. Closer to home where I camp, I don't have electric so a bird bath it is.  It's not fun washing long hair in a little sink with cold water.

My problem got solved this fall when my husband decided to buy a generator for his camper when he goes hunting/camping for about a month.  I had considered buying a generator earlier instead of replacing the hot water heater.

If my hot water heater goes out someday, I'll replace it with a gas one.  I'd be easier for me to have gas heater than to lug a generator around, everything else will run off the battery system set up I have. 

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-01-09 7:40 PM (#35212 - in reply to #35122)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks deranger for the suggestion of looking into a salvage RV yard.  Wouldn't have thought about that and found lots of sites on the internet. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)