'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Another DIY LQ question!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-14 4:24 PM
7 replies, 3723 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

haul'nhopeful
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-09 11:42 AM (#35175)
Subject: Another DIY LQ question!

I'm still budgeting and designing here and have another question for those in the know!  And, I really appreciate the other threads' inputs -- THANKS!

I would like to know how the Living Quarters installers prevent condensation damage in steel trailers when insulating the insides for living quarters?  In our metal shop building, the water drips off the ceilings and I was thinking that if I insulate the interior of a steel trailer, that moisture may get trapped in between the steel and the insulation?  Is the secrete to do it on a really dry day and make sure there is NO airflow between the layers?? Or, are there special products to use?  Has anyone had to dig into theirs for repairs or has anyone noticed rusting along the outside bottom edges of the trailer?

Thanks for all input!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-09 5:18 PM (#35198 - in reply to #35175)
Subject: RE: Another DIY LQ question!

Elite Veteran

I know that styrofoam is a popular choice with LQ installers and I've also seen some stuff that looked like sheets of foam rubber. Styrofoam would be my first choice if I was doing an LQ conversion myself. One word of advice is to make sure you insulate the ribs of the trailer as well as in between the ribs.  If you don't take some precautions insulating the ribs, whatever you use for fasteners, screws, will drip moisture as well.  I've never had it happen to me, but I've heard stories on this forum about the screw heads dripping water during the night. Happy trails.
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-01-09 6:58 PM (#35205 - in reply to #35175)

Extreme Veteran

Roofing felt between the insulation and the paneling.

Whinny2
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-09 8:09 PM (#35215 - in reply to #35175)

Regular

My suggestion would be to find a Low-E distributor in your area and ask for L4F00 insulation. This will give you more insulation value than the styrofoam, and is only 1/4 inch thick. Make sure you cover everything, and tape your joints with foil tape. We use a spray adhesive, but probably the easiest way for you to do it would be double sided tape. Form the insulation around the braces as tightly as possible. Then you can just put your striping over the top of that.
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-01-10 6:08 PM (#35275 - in reply to #35215)

Extreme Veteran

The first trailer I put LQ's in was a steel trailer and I used the same foam insulation as in the one I'm doing now. used aluminum tape for the joints at the supports. Never had a problem with condensation. If you are going to attach some sort of paneling then you'll definately have to use fur strips attached to the supports or condensation will ruin your paneling.

Edited by maccwall 2006-01-10 6:10 PM
bits
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-01-11 12:03 PM (#35328 - in reply to #35215)

Originally written by Whinny2 on 2006-01-09 9:09 PM

My suggestion would be to find a Low-E distributor in your area and ask for L4F00 insulation. This will give you more insulation value than the styrofoam, and is only 1/4 inch thick. Make sure you cover everything, and tape your joints with foil tape. We use a spray adhesive, but probably the easiest way for you to do it would be double sided tape. Form the insulation around the braces as tightly as possible. Then you can just put your striping over the top of that.

Question Winny? What type of spray adhesive do you use? Do you use that on aluminum too? I thought I read awhile back to be careful with adhesive and aluminumso, since you do this for a living,you can give me the inside professional scoop.

Whinny2
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-11 8:40 PM (#35358 - in reply to #35328)

Regular

We use Wilsonart 951 that we get from a local supply company. It is just a contact adhesive, there is no warning about using it on aluminum. We have been using it for about 8 years now. 

haul'nhopeful
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-14 4:24 PM (#35471 - in reply to #35175)

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to all who had input!  I do appreciate all the comments and info exchanged!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)