'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
wiring question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-10 10:27 PM
3 replies, 2912 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kat
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-01-09 9:27 PM (#35224)
Subject: wiring question

Is there an established protocol for wiring a LQ? In other words, should the black always be the ground, and the white, hot? Isn't that the norm for all D/C wiring?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-01-10 6:03 PM (#35273 - in reply to #35224)
Subject: RE: wiring question

Extreme Veteran

You can use any color wire you choose so long you keep up with what color goes to what. I used Black for ground and Red for hot. I would probably keep it as simple as possible in case you have problems. It avoids major confusion.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-10 8:42 PM (#35281 - in reply to #35224)

Expert

Originally written by kat on 2006-01-09 8:27 PM

Is there an established protocol for wiring a LQ? In other words, should the black always be the ground, and the white, hot? Isn't that the norm for all D/C wiring?

I don't know of any standard for low voltage DC wiring... Doesn't mean there isn't any though. 

I would recommend you stay away from using white,black & green.  There IS a color code for AC 120 volt wiring that calls for the black to be "HOT"  white to be "Neutral" and green to be "GROUND"

Could be very confusing(mixing AC and DC power), expensive (burned up stuff) , and dangerous (Electric shock to sensitive body parts)...

kat
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-01-10 10:27 PM (#35284 - in reply to #35224)

lol, here's the story.

we goofed and left the LQ unplugged and the D/C master switch on: drained the battery dead. Too Dead. Had to replace it. LQ (by JBJ Conversions in GA) is done in black and white wires. Husband pulls old battery, replaces it with new one, puts black and white wires where they belong.

Funny, none of the sensors want to work. huh. Need to get on the road, so we do, we'll figure it out later. Later, I open the 12V plug-in cooler, which has a switch to allow you to make it a heater. That sucker was hot. I thought I'd stuffed it too full and impeded the blower. I rescued my food, unplugged cooler, and we stood there scratching our, ummmm, heads.

Finally, it hit my husband. The cooler had reversed polarity. He opened the D/C panel cover, dug around...yup, the wires were backasswards. Nice. Turned it all off at the master switch, swapped the battery around to the 'wrong' set up, and poof, it all worked.

Oh, btw, my husband is a Master Electrician. 20 years experience. He was following the basic protocol you use with any D/C set up, like your car battery: black is ground, red is hot. So, if using black and white: black is ground, _____ is hot.

Check your set up before you swap batteries and let your cooler cook your beer . Just double check you aren't messing up your party.

Edited by kat 2006-01-10 10:32 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)