'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trip planning.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-16 2:30 PM
18 replies, 7952 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-11 9:37 AM (#35315)
Subject: Trip planning.

Expert

I have been very happy with the trip planning s/w that I have.

How_EVERrrrrrrrrr,,

I'm trying to plan a(nother) coast to coast trip and my s/w and just about everything on-line says to take a northern route.

{Hop up to Burlington VT, cross into Canada and sweep north of lake Erie, cross back into the US at Port Huron, continue west... I think not.}

Does ANYONE have mapping software that considers seasonal closings of things like mountain passes ? Do the motor club member services plan for this, or are their routes just quickest / shortest ?

I'm considering USRider membership - and have been for a while (-:
My preference is for software that I can use with my laptop and GPS, so that I can drive the planned route without having to read directions along the way.

Any help/suggestions welcome - other than "just call a hauler" (-:
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-01-11 10:28 AM (#35318 - in reply to #35315)
Subject: RE: Trip planning.

Veteran

Advertisement from the AAA TripTik website. I think you can manually modify your route based on what you want but you have to know what routes/passes, etc that you don't want.

New! Modify Your Route. Now you are in the driver's seat. Use the new Modify My Route tool to follow a scenic road, avoid winter weather or take your favorite "back-way". Click here for more information.

Barry
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-11 10:31 AM (#35319 - in reply to #35315)

Expert

Unfortunately, I have yet to find an online map direction site that takes large tow vehicles and weather into consideration.  I also have a Garmen for my vehicles but that does not always give the best routes for towing ( when I went to OKC this fall it had me go thru a section of OKC that had a rotary, a very, very tight rotary that made me have to drive over the curb!), and they also don't give you the latest bypasses.  I found that the best way to get a trip route is to use Mapwuest as a general guide, use a real map, and ask people for their opinions.  Maybe the state police could help you for unknown areas.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-11 11:06 AM (#35324 - in reply to #35319)

Expert

Hav2ride,
The large/long vehicles thing is something I tried bashing DeLorme about the head and shoulders on. I just HAVE TO believe that the tight turns info exists and is either IN a database or could easily be gathered and entered. Also, there MUST be a market for the big rigs who NEED special routing - so MUCH data about bridge weight limits (when ON) and height limits (when UNDER) and all the other restrictions. I was within a foot of being overlength for a section in NC last year, I did get through, but I think another foot might have made a big bad difference.

Barry,
Thanks for the tip, but I'm still thinking of joining USRider instead, because of the DRW truck issue.
TXAggie
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-11 11:27 AM (#35326 - in reply to #35315)
Subject: RE: Trip planning w/ Rand McNally

Reg,

Perhaps if you selected a point mid-way where you'd like to stop and make that the initial destination and then create a second leg from there to the final destination.  That might be a doable workaround instead of letting the software do all the work as well as keep you in the US the entire trip. 

I also found that the Rand McNally site (http://www.randmcnally.com/) has a feature for creating a multistop road trip online.  They also sell the Rand McNally 2006 Motor Carriers' Road Atlas, a guide specifically for truckers (good for us horse trailer pullers too ).  Available in both regular and large print versions. Features of both editions include:

• Over 300 changes to low clearance, weigh station, and restricted route listings
  • 22-page mileage directory with more than 40,000 city-to-city, route-specific mileages
  • Coverage of state-designated truck routes as well as national truck network routes
  • Updated coverage of hazardous materials regulations
  • Web and hotline resources for industry-specific information including revised road construction and conditions
  • State and provincial permit agency chart with phone numbers and websites

Regular edtion specific

• Coverage: United States, Canada, and Mexico
  • 208 pages; 15.375" x 11"

Large edition specifc

• Coverage: United States
  • Space-saving lay-flat spiral binding
  • 324 pages; 15.375" x 11"

Hope this helps.  You've given me lots of good advice and I enjoy reading your posts.

Steve

Edited by TXAggie 2006-01-11 11:31 AM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-11 12:38 PM (#35329 - in reply to #35326)

Expert

Originally written by TXAggie on 2006-01-11 11:27 AM

Reg,

Perhaps if you selected a point mid-way where you'd like to stop and make that the initial destination and then create a second leg from there to the final destination. That might be a doable workaround instead of letting the software do all the work as well as keep you in the US the entire trip.

I also found that the Rand McNally site (http://www.randmcnally.com/) has a feature for creating a multistop road trip online. They also sell the Rand McNally 2006 Motor Carriers' Road Atlas, a guide specifically for truckers (good for us horse trailer pullers too ). Available in both regular and large print versions. Features of both editions include:

• Over 300 changes to low clearance, weigh station, and restricted route listings
  • 22-page mileage directory with more than 40,000 city-to-city, route-specific mileages
  • Coverage of state-designated truck routes as well as national truck network routes
  • Updated coverage of hazardous materials regulations
  • Web and hotline resources for industry-specific information including revised road construction and conditions
  • State and provincial permit agency chart with phone numbers and websites

Regular edtion specific

• Coverage: United States, Canada, and Mexico
  • 208 pages; 15.375" x 11"

Large edition specifc

• Coverage: United States
  • Space-saving lay-flat spiral binding
  • 324 pages; 15.375" x 11"

Hope this helps. You've given me lots of good advice and I enjoy reading your posts.

Steve

Thanks,
I'll check out Rand_McNally, I hadn't thought of them, they MIGHT just be in the routing software biz by now.

I'm using Street Atlas by DeLorme and it IS very good, for "car" travel under "summer" conditions (-:

I've been setting "via"s to make sure it sends me towards a particular route. Right now I have a via set on I-81 southbound near Bristol VA, so it send me down there first and then figures how to get to so cal.
That route adds a couple of hundred miles, but goes on into Nashville, hooks up onto I-40 until Barstow CA and I'm almost there.
All the place names just "sound warmer" than anywhere in CO or NE (-:
Now for the hard part, finding and booking overnight stabling at 500-600 mile intervals.

Just to put a couple of other things in here for other browsing folk, I've used these with success;
http://www.bbonline.com/horse.html
http://www.horsetrip.com/

I just got these tips from USRider (which I DID just join):
http://www.overnightstabling.com/
(they have a BOOK - useful to carry around when you're 100s of miles from nowhere, but have a cell phone and need a back-up stopover)
http://www.horsemotel.com/
This one just popped up when I was searching for the exact name of horsemotel
http://www.travelinghorse.com/Stables.html

I know these have been posted here before and a search would find them, just trying to get some stuff together in this thread.

http://www.natbarn.com/STOPOVER.HTM
is also in my bookmarks, though I can't remember ever having used it.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-11 1:25 PM (#35331 - in reply to #35329)

Expert

Reg, When I mapped out my OKC trip, I did what the other poster suggested about picking a point and mapping from there.  I am in PA and, since the weather was good, I went the northern route.  I put Indianapolis in the Garman and remapped to OKC once I got there.  The Garman was fine except for the major highways but treated me like a compact car for the city areas (not good!).  I relied on the truckers for city rerouting advice.  That worked great!  Let me know if you like US Rider.  I needed AAA for my truck to be towed (2 dead batteries because the idiots that worked on it left it plugged into something and wrecked the batteries!) and AAA would not pay.  I really don't even know why I have AAA.  The only thing it is good for is hotel discounts (big deal), maps, and notary work!  
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-01-11 3:16 PM (#35339 - in reply to #35315)

Veteran

I am not an AAA dealer nor do I derive any income from AAA. That said, AAA plainly states that they do not deal in RVs and trailers. I wrecked a truck/horse trailer (no horses). When I unhooked from the trailer, AAA hauled my truck home. Your pickup (and anyone's vehicle you are riding in) should be covered by your individual AAA membership. A reason I have AAA on my daughter is that if there is ever car trouble with any friend of hers she can call. I have had AAA come out and unlock my truck attached to a trailer. If it is repairs, etc. you want for the trailer, then AAA is NOT the way to go. However, (someone pls correct me if I am wrong) if you are towing something, and the battery goes dead I think they should cover that.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-11 7:13 PM (#35351 - in reply to #35339)

Expert

I wasn't towing.  The truck was sitting in my driveway.  I had brought it back from being serviced (someone had hit me! ) and parked it for a couple weeks.  When I went to use it, I couldn't even get the electric door locks to work!  The service guy said to have it jumped ( couldn't get a charge with using 2 cars!) so we had to have it put on a flatbed to haul it in. We would have just put 2 new batteries in had we known why it wouldn't jump.  Anyhow, AAA said they would not cover it.  Luckily, Ford did!
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-01-12 12:37 PM (#35386 - in reply to #35351)

Extreme Veteran

Hey Reg.

I don'[t know about mapping software but I know a few of the truckers sites have info about closings and such. Might want to check those. Just a thought.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-12 1:20 PM (#35389 - in reply to #35315)

Expert

Get a CB and ask around at truck stops to see where they are going and what they just come through to give you some advice.  I use Mapquest and then once I get close I use my CB.  Gotta love finding cheap diesel from the big rigs.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-12 4:40 PM (#35396 - in reply to #35389)

Expert

Originally written by huntseat on 2006-01-12 1:20 PM

Get a CB and ask around at truck stops to see where they are going and what they just come through to give you some advice. I use Mapquest and then once I get close I use my CB. Gotta love finding cheap diesel from the big rigs.

Tank_Ya ! (-:
CB radio was aNOTHER "gotta get a nu one o' them" items.
The one I had for the 'burb sat in the center console from Jan'87 to sometime last year, it still works but is about the size of a brick, though not quite as large as a cement block.

Actually I can thank yet another woman who tipped me about CB a couple of years ago. She said she saved a lot of money on diesel fuel just by getting on the air, giving her position and direction and asking. Murphy's law being what it is, I always seem to see it 5c cheaper 5 miles after I filled up - and at a place that is easier to pull the trailer into.

{If I had a DSP... I'm sure a feminine voice would help}

(-:
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-12 8:27 PM (#35406 - in reply to #35389)

Expert

That's pretty much what I do too.  Most truckers are very willing to give advice.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-12 10:39 PM (#35408 - in reply to #35315)

Expert

Reg, you can fake a female voice!
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-16 9:08 AM (#35520 - in reply to #35408)

Expert

Originally written by huntseat on 2006-01-12 10:39 PM

Reg, you can fake a female voice!

I probably could, my voice isn't at all DEEP.
A bit "Husky" for a woman and many men LIKE that - but if I get into conversation and someone approaches the horse trailer at the next truck stop - it might be more than I would want to deal with, or be ABLE to.

OK, here's the approximate plan so far:
I'm looking for HELP in the form of local knowledge:
About 500 miles a day, it will take 6 days (maybe 5 days coming back if I'm hauling empty).

I-84 out to Scranton, PA
I-81 to Dandridge, TN
I-40 Bartstow, CA
I-15, I-10, I-210 - the details.

I have the first stop planned for Bethel, PA - I've stayed there before and I really LIKE the place and the host.
2nd night - looking for somewhere just east of Knoxville TN, Dandridge, Morristown, Newport all look close, 378xx or 379xx zip codes.
3rd night - Close to I-40 at the AR/OK border. Fort Smith or Van Buren, AR. Roland or Muldrow, OK.
4th night - TX/NM border, a little west of Amarillo. Endee, San Jon, Logan look close.
5th night - Topock, AZ. Just north of Lake Havasu City.

I'm doing all the horsetrip.com and bbonline/horses searches, but if any of you are close to these places and have a local recommendation I'd appreciate it - maybe a friend/neighbor, your own place even ?

I'll try to keep a journal, at least take notes and write something up here when I get back.

PS Any sky dive drop zones would be of interest - for on the way BACK (-:
Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-16 10:55 AM (#35526 - in reply to #35315)

Veteran

Reg,

Here's one just off I40, 9 miles east of Amarillo in case that might work for you.  Have heard good things about it.  Has both people accomodations and hookups.  www.lonestardedandbale.com

Have a great trip.

Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-16 10:59 AM (#35527 - in reply to #35315)

Veteran

OOPS, sorry - my typing isn't too good today.  Should be www.lonestarbedandbale.com
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-16 11:48 AM (#35533 - in reply to #35520)

Expert

eing from PA I am very familiar with 81 north/south.  Make sure you do a good weather check before you attempt the PA part of this road.  It's your best route really but that road is prone to dense pockets of fog, freezing, and awful road conditions if there is snow.  It also has a ton of truck traffic and is rather windy at spots.  If you already know this info, never mind...
arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-01-16 2:30 PM (#35543 - in reply to #35520)
Subject: I-40 Amarillo Texas Happy Tracks Horse Motel

Veteran

I have stayed at Happy Tracks numerous times over the past nine years. Great people, clean stalls, clean rooms. Can't say enough good about them. There really isn't anything around San Jon, NM. It is a long empty section between Amarillo and Tucumcari NM where the next "horse motel" is located.

Happy Tracks Horse Motel, Vic & Penny Plunk
14731 Indian Hill Road
Amarillo, TX  79124
Tel:  806-352-9508

Edited by arroyoseccofarm 2006-01-16 2:37 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread