'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Latches for Trailer Doors

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-13 4:15 PM
5 replies, 4312 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-01-13 9:39 AM (#35429)
Subject: Latches for Trailer Doors

Veteran

OK, I have a question that you guys might be able to shed some light on for me.

What are the pros and cons to the different types of door latches. 

I am using trailers on the site for examples.  This trailer has a middle partition that closes and keep the trailer door tightly closed.  This to me seems ALOT easier to close and work with. 

This picture is of another type of latch, this latches at the top and bottom. and closes in the middle.  This to me seems harder as if you had sawdust in the hole or mud, it would not close as easy.

(Sorry that one is so big)

Give me your ideas.. I am stuck on my own opinion... but want to find out other's thoughts to educate me more.  Give me personal preference and why and even more technical preference too!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-13 10:09 AM (#35433 - in reply to #35429)
Subject: RE: Latches for Trailer Doors

Expert

Opinion... I always have several...

I like and have the bar type.  This design secures the top and bottom of the door to the trailer structure.  Any pressure on the door is distributed along the whole edge of the door.  The locking bar reinforces the door edge at the same time.  There isn't a problem with shavings or other dirt since the bar grabs a locking knob, hook (depending on design of the hardware) not a hole.

The Flap type of door closure depends on the rigidity of the door to stay closed.  If a horse were to put pressure on the bottom corner under the flap, the door might bend out, the hoof slips through and gets caught or torn off.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-13 10:09 AM (#35434 - in reply to #35429)

Expert

I like freight latches (pic 2) because they seal the door from top to bottom.  Even small children can work this mechanism.  No worrying about kicking the bottom of the door and having a leg slip out, or the door curling outward from damage.  This latch pulls the door in tight by it's claw that hooks at the top and bottom of the bar.  So as you close it the "claws" draw the door in tight.

The latch on pic 1 is I think called a pressure latch?  I have one on my little two horse and let me tell you, it has put some upper body muscles on me over the years!  Not something for a small child even if they could reach it.  If this type of latch seals loose the doors will rattle and slam around, thus the needed pressure.

It's a personal choice, my advice would be to go and put your hands on some.  Look at old models and see how well they have stood the test of time and then make your own choice...you have to live with it.

TXAggie
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-13 10:35 AM (#35435 - in reply to #35429)

IMHO, this is really a theroretical/acedemic question or one of research as to which type of latch one would like to have on their trailer.  Each manufacturer utilizes thier preferred method on the trailers they make and usually don't offer alternative systems.  Sundowner has thier style, Merhow a different style, Hawk a different style, Dream Coach a different style, etc.  Now there is a difference between getting a ramp vs. step up, but even then the manufacturer usually offers only a single method/system to latch their doors.

Now what you usually have an option on is the way the latch locks.  In the first pic, it has what I'll call a flip hasp.  The advantage of the flip hasp is that you can put your own lock on it - ie only you have the key.  In the second pic, you have a cam lock with a built in key lock - ie the manufacturer provides you with a set of keys for all the cam locks (usually all the locks are keyed alike so one key opens up all the cam locks as well as the dressing room door).  The disadvantage of this is that there is a high probablity that others with that type of trailer may have the same key and can thus open your lock.  Another option is a combination of both the cam lock with the flip hasp so you can choose how secure you want to lock up the trailer.  This is what you can have a say in if you order a trailer or it can easily be added/changed on a second hand trailer, as appropriate.

Edited by TXAggie 2006-01-13 10:51 AM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-13 11:04 AM (#35437 - in reply to #35435)

Expert

Originally written by TXAggie on 2006-01-13 9:35 AM

IMHO, this is really a theroretical/acedemic question or one of research as to which type of latch one would like to have on their trailer.  Each manufacturer utilizes thier preferred method on the trailers they make and usually don't offer alternative systems.  Sundowner has thier style, Merhow a different style, Hawk a different style, Dream Coach a different style, etc.  Now there is a difference between getting a ramp vs. step up, but even then the manufacturer usually offers only a single method/system to latch their doors.

Now what you usually have an option on is the way the latch locks.  In the first pic, it has what I'll call a flip hasp.  The advantage of the flip hasp is that you can put your own lock on it - ie only you have the key.  In the second pic, you have a cam lock with a built in key lock - ie the manufacturer provides you with a set of keys for all the cam locks (usually all the locks are keyed alike so one key opens up all the cam locks as well as the dressing room door).  The disadvantage of this is that there is a high probablity that others with that type of trailer may have the same key and can thus open your lock.  Another option is a combination of both the cam lock with the flip hasp so you can choose how secure you want to lock up the trailer.  This is what you can have a say in if you order a trailer or it can easily be added/changed on a second hand trailer, as appropriate.

TXAggie ... Not just "a theroretical/acedemic question " I would say the type of latch is just one of many points that induce one to buy one trailer vs another's.  I don't think anybody would buy solely on the door latch.  It's just another point that adds to the total package.  The question is valid to a purchase decision.

I think every one should consider the details of a total trailer instead of blanket statements  saying one trailer is superior or not. 

TXAggie
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-13 4:15 PM (#35445 - in reply to #35429)

hosspuller, I agree with you.  Latches are important and one should consider their design and function carefully.  It was not my intent to trivialize her question, just try and point out that manufacturers are pretty set in which type of latch they use.

When I was looking at trailers, I too noticed the different type of latches and had it in my mind which type I would prefer not to have.  Fortunately for me Dream Coach had the type I wanted and my dealer assisted me in getting them set up properly.  I have a ramp with storm doors above (as opposed to her pics which are step ups).  So I was able to combine both the cam latch on the storm doors and the flip latch on the ramps, so I have the best of both worlds, IMO.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)