'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
PIFTOE

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-21 6:35 AM
11 replies, 4428 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-01-14 7:27 PM (#35473)
Subject: PIFTOE

Extreme Veteran

Okay, I admit I'm not in the best mood to be venting. Wife and I spent 6 hrs on trail today picking up beer cans, bottles, and plastic water bottles that had been tossed by trail riders. We made only 7 miles out of 73 mi total trail and had a huge bag filled with trash. Of course we were also applying paint and markers on the trails where it was needed the same time. We've been asked hundreds of times how much the USFS pays us to do this. We are VOLUNTEERS. Personally, I don't think alcohol and horses mix any better than autos and alcohol but apparently 90% of the riders here at LBJ think differently. And we like to ride also instead of having to pick up everyone else's trash. So, here's my beef. If you find you must drink and ride - PIFTOE - Pack In Full, Take Out Empty! Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-14 7:37 PM (#35474 - in reply to #35473)
Subject: RE: PIFTOE

Expert

Longrider... I've never riden in TX, but I thank you for your time and efforts on behalf of all riders.  You're not alone.  I burns my biscuits to see the trash on the trails. 

A thought:  Bring a bunch of used grocery sacks.  as people pass, ask them to carry a little bit of the trash on their saddle horn back to camp.  Then you don't have that huge sack to deal with.  And they get to help keep the trails clean.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-01-14 8:33 PM (#35476 - in reply to #35473)

Amen and Amen and Amen! We do not understand how an empty weighs too much to put back in the saddle bag. Or maybe the human on the horse is so drunk they can't find the saddle bag...dunno...but littering is no way to make friends. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to pick the trash.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-01-15 7:30 PM (#35505 - in reply to #35473)

Extreme Veteran

I agree, if people can carry in they can carry out.  I will put on my saddle bags on and take a day to pick up cans and trash.  I ride the trails enough in our public park that I'll clear or clean them off like their my own because the trash will just be there the next time I ride. It takes away from the enjoyment of my ride to look at trash rather than mother nature's beauty.  It gets really bad after the holiday weekends when the park is packed with riders.

I've met others on the trails collecting cans. One man carried a long stick that he picked up cans with without getting off the horse.  He had something on the end that would clamp the can.  Also seen someone else that had like a frog gig on the end of his stick.  Met another lady collecting cans to help pay for her gas, it took her two hours driving to get to the park. 

In Iowa we have five cents refund on cans so it helps encourage some to pick them up.  We also have a couple of bins in the campground where people can toss their cans in and the money they get from the cans will be put towards maintenance of the trails.  

Don't get me started on people drinking and riding. One time I was sitting in camp watching this horse walk down the road towards me and I had to look twice because the horse was walking to the side and then to the other side and wasn't walking a straight line.  When the horse and rider got up to me, I realized the rider was soooo drunk he couldn't sit straight on the horse and so when he leaned, the horse would walk in the the direction he leaned.  It was obvious the rider had fell off at one time because his face was messed up and alittle bloody.  Met another man on the trail that got off to make a nature call and was so drunk he couldn't get his foot in the stirrup to get back on.  His good buddy with him help him get his foot in the stirrup and pushed him back on.  He proceeded to fall over on the other side but was saved by his friends horse that stopped his fall. 

It bothers me the neglect these horses get when drunk riders don't feed and water them when they come back in off of a hard ride.  Had the same group three years in a row have to call a vet to the camp the next morning and then they wonder why.

What bothers me most is the ones you know that don't always camp and probably drive home half drunk pulling a trailer.

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-01-17 1:19 PM (#35608 - in reply to #35473)

Veteran

One of my favorite places I rode last year was Shimmek (not sure of spelling) near Donnelson Iowa. It was also one of the most littered places I have ever seen. I agree it's sad that drunks and slobs leave behind trash, but with that said, not all people having a beer on horseback are drunks!!! My husband brings a few every time. HE never gets "drunk", and absolutely never drops cans along the way, that peeves both of us. Too bad a few people have to ruin it for everyone. Also, I do not drink, therefore I always get to drive home. We won't take the chance with our lives, other people's lives, or just getting a ticket.
I must say that the parks I frequent in Illinois are very clean. We like Jubilee, and Loud Thunder Forrest preserve. There ARE many decent people out there that care about the trails (like you) and wouldn't dream of littering them up.
Ok, off my soap box.....
OR2RIDE
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-17 1:59 PM (#35610 - in reply to #35473)

New User

Longrider,  Thanks for the good work for all of us riders.  We are planning a trip from Oregon to Texas this spring.  I could certainly use any info you could give us about Texas trails and areas to camp with our horses.  Once again hats off to you and your wife.

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-01-17 6:21 PM (#35627 - in reply to #35473)

Extreme Veteran

Didn't mean to offend anyone that likes to have a drink and is responsible, it's the ones that get really drunk that bother me.

I'm a regular out at Shimek and I'm there every weekend riding during good weather so I've probably seen it more than most.  It's usually the same groups getting drunk and loud in the campground and having no respect for others camping. They're the ones that neglect their horses.

There's one group that's out there on a regular basis that I've always seen with beer but have never seen drunk, there's a difference. 

I've just seen the horses down the next morning that can't get up because their dehydrated. colic, or tied up. I also know of a few people that should have never drove home.  It doesn't happen very often but it does happen.

The majority of the people I meet around horses are great people and take good care of their horses.  Part of the fun of riding is the good people you meet along the way!

sundance's girl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-01-17 8:30 PM (#35633 - in reply to #35473)

I hate seeing the cans laying on the ground also.  I do sometimes ride with beer but the group I ride with has a very strict rule about litter.  If anyone drops their can they have to stop and not only pick that one up but 2 more before they get back to camp.  If they drop more they have to pick up 2 more...  Not only does it make it that person more aware, it helps, a little, keep the trail clean.  
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-01-18 8:22 AM (#35646 - in reply to #35473)

Veteran

horsin around:
You didn't offend anyone! It's a good topic, and unfortunately it's true. I couldn't agree more about those folks that ignore their horses, they are all around bad news. I also didn't mean to offend you by saying that Shimmek was dirty. For the most part, it was beautiful but we were surprised at how many BEER cans we saw. Funny, they were beer and not pop cans??? I loved the steep hills and pretty scenery too. We will be back this year for sure. We went on Labor day weekend, so it was pretty crowded! The funny part about the drunk groups, they were totally quiet by 11 and didn't bother anyone else! Just wish it hadn't been so darn hot!
Happy trails...
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-01-18 8:02 PM (#35693 - in reply to #35473)

Extreme Veteran

Appy4me,

You didn't offend me about Shimek, it's the truth.  I've ridden in Big Piney, Hoosier, Emminence, Shawnee, Panther Creek and I'd have to say my back door has the most cans.

I'm guessing you camped in the lower camp during Labor Day.  I didn't camp but went riding with some friends that camped in the upper camp and they said one night they played loud music until early hours of the morning and then someone turned music on loud around 6-6:30 a.m. to get back at the late nighters so they had to hear both.

During Labor Day you're better off in the lower camp.  There's a group that camps every year during that weekend that can get loud.  The local group that usually gets loud doesn't camp that weekend because they take their trailers up to the Rodeo to get a good spot.  Most of the time the upper campground is the quietest.

They've changed this year in the State of Iowa on the parks where now you can reserve a spot in advance.  They're taking some of the camping spots and making them where you can reserve them and the rest will be first come.  Sometimes everything is taken by Thursday on a holisday weekend so if I was driving a distance, I'd probably reserve a spot.

Where is Loud Thunder Forrest? Haven't heard of it and I'm always looking for a new place to go.  Heard Siloam Springs is very nice and was packed to go but my horse got a serious cut on his leg so we didn't go.

Safe riding!

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-01-19 9:37 AM (#35714 - in reply to #35473)

Veteran

Boy your good! We were indeed at the lower camp. I noticed how extremely drunk the "cowboys" were at the upper camp! One fella tried to get my son's horse from him! My son didn't like him and couldn't understand his teasing (he's only 7).
Loud Thunder is in Illinois city. It's a forrest preserve, but not one of those places you'd spend several days at. There is one main trail, and on a QH it only takes about 2 1/2 hours to do. It's very hilly, with nice crossings. We like it, but many people say it's too rough. I don't think so, neither does my 7 year old son who rides by himself!
We have ridden Shawnee too (Little Lusk),Big Piney was wonderful too!!
Have you been to Peoria at Jubilee? It's great riding there too. I would highly recommend Siloam Springs too. We like to get a list of state parks and try to hit some new ones every year, but lots of times we go back to our ol favorites!
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-01-21 6:35 AM (#35783 - in reply to #35473)

Elite Veteran

Its not just beer cans, but cans in general and trash.  I'll put a gum wrapper in my pocket before I throw it on the ground.  It slays me--they can pack it in but can't pack it out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)