'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fort Robinson

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-03 11:56 AM
7 replies, 4592 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

klthechiro
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-01-26 6:13 PM (#36036)
Subject: Fort Robinson

Regular

I am planning a trip to Fort Robinson NE.  Any comments on the park?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Whinny2
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-26 8:07 PM (#36044 - in reply to #36036)
Subject: RE: Fort Robinson

Regular

We stopped at Fort Robinson several years ago for a layover point. Really interesting place to see, nice old barns for the horses, campground was nice but had to leave horses across the road. We only had one day to ride there, and did not like the riding very well. Maybe we just missed something, but probably would not go back.
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-01-27 7:44 AM (#36064 - in reply to #36036)

Extreme Veteran

I'm from Nebraska, been by there many times, but never "been there". I'll check around some and see if I can help you out.
Stymie
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-30 12:33 PM (#36220 - in reply to #36036)

I't a great place to go. I never rode there but they have nice places to stay & ride. I went to school close by & between hunting & fishing, coverd the area in depth. Very scenic & historic, not in a corny way like most places. I think there are arroud 20 miles of horse trails. It's worth going to! Here is a link. http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/parks/guides/parksearch/showpark.asp?Area_No=77

Another place you might try is Halsey National Forest. Haven't been there either but a bunch of the people I know go there several times a year for a week at a time and can't say enough about it. It just had a fire so I don't know what impact that might have but here. http://www.halseytrails.com/

Stymie
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-30 12:38 PM (#36222 - in reply to #36036)

Also if you have time not far away from Fort Rob,  just south of Chadron are miles and miles of trails through the Pine rigde area, I think this area is better than the Black hills. You would have to get ahold of the Game & parks out there to get maps of the trails and entrances.
dylan1
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-01-30 4:13 PM (#36243 - in reply to #36036)

Fort Robinson used to be the Armys main horse training facility, they have big barns with stalls you can rent by the night, the camp ground is across the highway, so you stay alittle way away from your horses. Their is a hotel type building with a place to eat, and several building you can rent to stay in, but they are usually booked in the summer months. Their is a museum on the grounds, and a indoor swimming pool. They host alot of horse shows, so they have facilities for that with stalls. Soldier Creek is west of the fort, and is a neat area to ride, and has primitive camping, but it is federal ground so you need to have certified weed free hay. You see alot of wildlife, turkeys, deer, and they have a sizeable herd of buffalo. It is a great place to ride, and the Pine Ridge is quite scenic. If you have any more questions let me know. 
cowgirlwi
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-31 9:47 PM (#36351 - in reply to #36036)

New User

My hubby and I went there in June of 2004.  We took our camper and two horses.  We stayed 7 days and our horses were kept in the stables area.  Everyday but 1 we had GORGEOUS weather and excellent riding.  We loved going to the top of the pine ridge areas and all over the wide open range.  The Fort is a cool place. They have a museum, outdoor swimming pool,a place to eat breakfast, a lunch type stand that serves snacks and buffalo hot dogs etc.   You can go on breakfast & supper trail rides. Two nights a week they have a rodeo, and while we were there it was a native american get together so they had a pow wow, and lots of souvenier boothes. We were sad to leave, and will definitely go back!!!
CJ_Nebraska
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-03 11:56 AM (#38198 - in reply to #36036)

If you enjoy large rides, the APHA does a week long trail ride there starting on Labor Day.  You can go on short rides, all day rides or do your own thing.  You stay in the various buildings that used to house the officers and enlisted men and your horse is stalled in one of the horse barns.

On your own, you can rent those same buildings and stalls or stay in your trailer in one of the campground areas.  They’ve added camping spots near the mare barns on the west side of the highway, along with a new shower house.

We normally camp several miles west of the Fort at Soldier Creek.  There’s a stream crossing the road just before you reach it.  Longer rigs may have a problem with the incline there or get water in the front of their trailers.  Think the charge is around $8/night for primitive camping.  There’s a hand pump for horse water, outhouses and corrals available.  There are several marked trails or you can make your own.  There’s also Robert’s Trailhead a few miles northeast of the park with corrals and an outhouse.

On our rides we’ve seen buffalo, deer, turkey, elk, pronghorn antelope and bighorn sheep.  For the brave, there are a couple of steep trails just north of the main park area that will take you to the top of the bluffs that overlook the Fort.    

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)