'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hocking Hills, OH: Three Reasons Horse Camp CLOSED! :(

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-20 10:36 AM
5 replies, 8734 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Cowgirl Up
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-02-01 1:57 PM (#36382)
Subject: Hocking Hills, OH: Three Reasons Horse Camp CLOSED! :(

I spent time at Three Reasons Horse Camp in the Hocking Hills of Ohio for the first time in October 2005.  My husband and I and our friends were certain we found a slice of heaven on earth.  Hocking Hills is just gorgeous and Three Reasons butted right up next to the State Forest.  Breathtaking scenery within 15 minutes.  The accomodations were wonderful - my husband and I stayed in a clean and comfy fully furnished cabin, and our horses had a nice pasture and covered stalls.

We'd been trying to contact Three Reasons for the last month or two to make spring and fall reservations for 2006 and could not get through for the longest time.  Finally we spoke to Lynn of Three Reasons, and she informed us she and her husband decided to close Three Reasons to the public so they could enjoy their property for themselves. 

This is very sad news indeed.  We had heard the rumor Three Reasons closed about a week or two before we finally got a hold of her.  The www.hockinghills.com website listing accommodations still has Three Reasons, so hopefully all is not lost yet.  But perhaps the site is just not updated yet.

So ~~this was meant to inform, but also, does anyone have any alternative recommendations?  Palmerosa....how far of a ride is it really before you hit the State Forest?  Spotted Horse Ranch looks like you have to trailer your horse.  There seem to be other places where you can rent a cabin or campsite and possibly have accommodations for your horse as well.

If anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear 'em!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crazyhorse woman
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-02 2:04 PM (#36446 - in reply to #36382)
Subject: RE: Hocking Hills, OH: Three Reasons Horse Camp CLOSED! :(

I also camped at three reasons in October 2005 for the first time.  I emailed them in December to find out about making reservations for April 06 and have not heard back from them yet.  Maybe that is why.  I don't know about Palmerosa but I can guarantee it can't be anything like three reasons.  It is beautiful there and so close to a lot of the spots to ride to.  I will be very sad to find out I can't ride out of there again. 
fourbeat
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-02 9:24 PM (#36476 - in reply to #36382)

New User

Hi -

Palmerosa is very nice, wooded campsites, campstore (including horse supplies & tack) and a restaurant open for weekend breakfast.  Very nice owners.  We enjoy it a lot.  There are actually some Hocking forest trails right out the back of the campground, but they do not hook up with the main trails.  To get to them, there is a short (less than 1/2 mile) ride.  In addition to very pretty campsites, there are 2 cabins, bunkhouses, and stalls for your horses if you want.

I've ridden out of Three Reasons too, but really didn't care for the campground as it was just in a field.  Nice facility though, with a cabin and stalls for horses.  I can understand why the owners would want to just enjoy their beautiful property themselves, but it is a loss for those who liked to camp there.

I would recommend Palmerosa.  I have been at Spotted Horse too, and although nice, it is way too far (don't like to trailer to the forest trails).

Happy trails!

Congress
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-16 7:56 AM (#37343 - in reply to #36382)

We enjoy staying at the Horsemans camp, always plenty of fun there. Stone Valley and Smoke Rise Ranch are really nice, but not close to be able to ride into the park if that is what your wanting.

We have stayed at a couple cabins that allowed us to bring our horses with us so you might try that too. The owners always asked that we show respect and clean up after the horses, but had no problem allowing them to be tied out to graze around the trailer.

Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-02-20 10:34 AM (#37536 - in reply to #36382)

Regular

My husband and I are always looking for places to ride.  Can you give me info, website or whatever I can get to find out more about this area.  Is it worth driving from TN to see???

Thanks so much for your help!

Congress
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-20 10:36 AM (#37537 - in reply to #37536)

Originally written by Issie on 2006-02-20 10:34 AM

My husband and I are always looking for places to ride.  Can you give me info, website or whatever I can get to find out more about this area.  Is it worth driving from TN to see???

Thanks so much for your help!

Try http://www.hockinghills.com/ it is a very beautiful place to visit.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)