'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2 Horse Gooseneck - Sort of vent

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-13 7:20 AM
21 replies, 6308 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-02-08 9:53 AM (#36715)
Subject: 2 Horse Gooseneck - Sort of vent

Veteran

Ok, this is a sort of vent to get it out there.  I understand to a point, but then I just don't understand.

Why is it that Builders do not make alot of 2 horse goosenecks and that alot of the dealers don't like to have 2 horse goosenecks in stock?  Everyone I know and talk to pushes me towards a 3 horse, which is fine and dandy, but there are alot of people out there that buy up the 2 horse trailers when they are for sale.  Why don't dealers see this and try to bring more in stock to their dealership? 

I understand the difference in weight is not that much more with the 2 horse compared to the 3 horse, but if you have that "space" you might fill it up which might max what your truck can carry. 

I know there are alot of people out there that haul with a 1500 truck... it can be done and expecially if that is their only vehicle, and the price of gas not going down soon, alot of people might start going towards the 1500 truck a lot more. 

Anyone feel the same way???

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cascadia
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-02-08 10:18 AM (#36716 - in reply to #36715)
Subject: RE: 2 Horse Gooseneck - Sort of vent

Veteran

I feel your pain!  Yes, the three horse gooseneck is a very popular design but there is still a need out there for the 2H with some tack space.  Bigger isn't always better.  There was a fellow out here in Oregon who specialized in making a handy 2H gooseneck.  His business was called Rusty Wheel Manufacturing.  He was shipping his trailers to Japan for use with small trucks.  The last time I visited his place, he was building huge, heavy, warmblood-sized trailers because he said everyone seemed to want the biggest trailer their truck would haul.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-02-08 11:02 AM (#36718 - in reply to #36715)

Elite Veteran

Let the people say "amen"! I can't tell you how many people have looked me up at horse shows and fairgrounds to find out where I got my 2H gooseneck. Every time I get asked this question I'm told it's because no one really wants the 2H.
starz13
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2006-02-08 11:10 AM (#36721 - in reply to #36715)

I understand your vent! I had the same one last year when I was looking for a 2 horse gooseneck slant load trailer. They were either sold within days of the ad postings or they were not well maintained. I finally got tired of looking so I went to the dealership and ordered one. Like you said, I only had a half ton truck to pull with and I was new to hauling my horse myself so I didnt want a big long trailer to start out with. I love my little two horse to pieces! Some people had told me nobody wants a 2 horse GN slant and thats why they dont make them very often, but I have had three people within months of me getting my trailer say that if I ever want to sell it they will buy it and name my price because its perfect for those short trips with one or two horses to the trainer or for me when I haul a broodmare and baby for breeding seasons. I have since upgraded from the half ton to a one ton truck and I am looking to get a LQ for the shows and had thought about selling/trading the two horse but I decided that the 2 horse is SOOO handy that I will keep it and still buy the LQ. Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for! I personally loved my decision to buy the two horse over the three horse!    

gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-02-08 12:20 PM (#36724 - in reply to #36715)

Veteran

hello

i just

looked and saw on this site 451 2 horse gn and on the first page 5 that were slant

good luck

qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-02-08 1:30 PM (#36726 - in reply to #36715)

Veteran

I honestly didn't think I was the only one!  I have had TONS of people tell me they want a 2 horse gooseneck and no one can find them.

I prefer to not have to order one, but I just would think that because of alot of woman driving them, and hauling one or two horses by themselves, or guys going to ropings or even contesters or even the endurance people. 

I can't tell you how many people that I know, are normally showing one horse by themselves, they either have a 2 horse bumper pull or a 3 horse and hate the wasted space.  Yea don't get me wrong, if you were going for a long time and going to major shows and need the hay space, shavings,etc that is on thing, but those that are doing that are using the LARGE LQ areas to stay in and have the large trucks to pull them. 

It is great for a starter trailer, it is great for a quick trip trailer and it is great for those going overnight or two days or so... the 2 horse gooseneck is a very popular needed trailer YET so hard to find!

qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-02-08 1:31 PM (#36727 - in reply to #36724)

Veteran

Originally written by gus on 2006-02-08 1:20 PM

hello

i just

looked and saw on this site 451 2 horse gn and on the first page 5 that were slant

good luck

I am sorry I am confused to what you are saying?

CTR Rider
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-02-08 2:00 PM (#36729 - in reply to #36715)

Veteran

AMEN! I also only haul one horse and have been shopping for a 2 horse. So many salesman tried to change my mind, telling me that the re-sale on a 2 horse would not be good. Well, I am not planning on re-selling it. I intend to keep it, many years. I had trouble even finding a dealer who made a 2 horse in 8 ft wide. Finally found a Merhow dealer thru this site who was wonderful to work with and I ordered exactly what I wanted. My 2 horse Turnbow will be for sale when I get my new one.

You are so right that there are a LOT of people out there hauling with smaller trucks.
cookiesforme
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-08 2:25 PM (#36731 - in reply to #36715)

Believe me, I have felt your pain!  I just bought a 2H Exiss Gooseneck after looking for about the last year.  The 2H gooseneck just are hard to find as it seems that the people who buy them really hang on to them and resale prices are very high.  I ran across a private ad for the one I just bought and after looking at it snapped it right up for a very reaonable price.  Everyone including the dealers told me to get a three horse but I only own ONE horse so the extra expense to get a 3H based just on the potential resale value could not sway me.  The only reason that I can see for the lack of the 2H gooseneck is the fact that most people that only haul one or two horses typically only have light duty trucks or SUVs, and therefore haul bumper pulls. 

cascadia
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-02-08 4:22 PM (#36743 - in reply to #36715)

Veteran

It isn't just goosenecks either.  There was a 2H slant load Logan Fernando (front side ramp and back ramp with a walk-in tack) in really lovely shape for $2500.00 up in Washington.  The poor woman was beating away the flock of buyers as her trailer sold within hours of posting it on craigslist!  I missed getting it by half an hour which caused me to nab the Logan Trojan I ended up getting. 

donnat
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-02-08 7:56 PM (#36755 - in reply to #36715)

I agree....there are several 2H slant loads on this site......

Edited by donnat 2006-02-08 8:01 PM
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-02-08 8:08 PM (#36756 - in reply to #36715)

Veteran

Silver Star makes a 2-horse gooseneck...

A friend has one... sharp trailer.  I never found them hard to find... but am from the south near their factory.

I agree with the half ton pickup bit.  The price of new diesel pickups is INSANE.  I'm currently nursing my 16 year old F-350 diesel down the road, enjoy much less cost per mile than folks with new trucks.  Service rates are crazy on the new trucks, too.  I own a 3-horse gooseneck... not sure a half ton will EVER be able to pull THAT load safely... gotta have a dually.  I do hope, though, that gasoline engines in the half tons will someday be able to pull the 2-horse trailers with good fuel mileage... 13 or better.

Mike

Edited by racesarabhorses 2006-02-08 8:13 PM
Pinto
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-09 11:58 PM (#36849 - in reply to #36716)

New User

I bought my 3 horse alum. GN 4 Star trailer at Quarter Horse Congress. They said that they took all the suggestions that they got from women horsemen about the trailer that they wanted and made my model. It's 2 horse with small LQ. It was made for single women who often travel alone but must have a trailer that they can easily handle by themselves. I pull it easily with a 1997 Dodge 1500.
Pinto
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-09 11:59 PM (#36850 - in reply to #36715)

New User

Opps. I meant to say I bought my TWO horse 4-Star at Congress. I typed in 3 horse, but meant 2 horse!
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-02-10 8:27 AM (#36871 - in reply to #36715)

Extreme Veteran

I totally agree!  I have a 2h Silver Star gn and wouldn't trade it for the world (well, maybe a new 2h Silver Star HA!)

I've heard the dealers say "there's no demand for a 2h GN"  which is total BS!!  Expecially with the price of diesel!

qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-02-10 9:30 AM (#36881 - in reply to #36715)

Veteran

I have been informed that the DEMAND of the 2 horse gooseneck is not enough to warrant carrying them and having them on hand at the dealerships. 

Those of us that want the 2 horse is the minority of 200 compared to the THOUSAND that want 3 horses... so they can't justify doing that.

SHOW US YOUR 2 Horse trailer pics!  :)

Diamond D Shane
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-02-10 10:00 AM (#36885 - in reply to #36881)

As a dealer the reason we don't keep a lot of 2h trailers in stock (aluminum gn trailers) from a dealer perspective is that

1. a 2h is about the same cost as a 3h (only a few hundred dollars difference between the two)

2. the 2h trailers sit on your lot longer eating up your floorplan interest and not selling quick enough to make a profit on them.

3.  and as far a weight as mentioned above there is only a few hundred pounds difference in weight of the trailers.

the 3h by far outsells the 2h and you turn your inventory much quicker.  however if a customer wants a 2h trailer we have no problem ordering one for them and then it can be designed exactly like they want it as most women or people traveling by themselves want it set up for ease of use and special needs so ordering is the best option.  thanks,

Edited by Diamond D Shane 2006-02-10 10:02 AM
Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-02-10 10:01 AM (#36886 - in reply to #36715)

Regular

When we purchased our 4 horse trailer, we considered trading in our 2 horse.  Of course the trade-in value was nothing.  4 year's old and well taken care of.  Still looked good. We turned them down.  Decided that it was worth more to us than the piddly amount the dealer wanted to give us. 

When hauling one or two horse, the 2 horse is the one we use. 

Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-02-10 10:03 AM (#36888 - in reply to #36715)

I had no problem ordering a 2 horse GN from Titan.  I wanted a larger dressing room so the trailer length is that of a 3 horse trailer w/ just two slants and a 5' short wall in the DR.  The trailer was ready for me to pick up in three weeks with every option I added done perfectly.

80% of the time we haul one horse, the rest is split between hauling two horses or the mini and his cart. 

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-02-12 5:31 PM (#37027 - in reply to #36849)

Veteran

Originally written by Pinto on 2006-02-09 11:58 PM

I bought my 3 horse alum. GN 4 Star trailer at Quarter Horse Congress. They said that they took all the suggestions that they got from women horsemen about the trailer that they wanted and made my model. It's 2 horse with small LQ. It was made for single women who often travel alone but must have a trailer that they can easily handle by themselves. I pull it easily with a 1997 Dodge 1500.

So... you have a 3 horse or a 2 horse?  Or both?  I'm confused...

The fact that the 2-horse LQ pulls well with a half ton is good news...  What kind of fuel mileage are you getting when pulling, loaded?

MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-12 7:16 PM (#37033 - in reply to #37027)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by racesarabhorses on 2006-02-12 6:31 PM

Originally written by Pinto on 2006-02-09 11:58 PM

So... you have a 3 horse or a 2 horse?  Or both?  I'm confused...

The fact that the 2-horse LQ pulls well with a half ton is good news...  What kind of fuel mileage are you getting when pulling, loaded?

"Opps. I meant to say I bought my TWO horse 4-Star at Congress. I typed in 3 horse, but meant 2 horse!"

Simple typo, she bought a 2 horse....

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-02-13 7:20 AM (#37057 - in reply to #36715)

Elite Veteran

There are at least 5 women in my trail riding club with 2H LQ trailers.  Most bought empty trailers and had the LQ built according to their requirements.  Some pull with 150, others with 250/2500. 

I noticed that Dixie had 4 2H LQ Exiss trailers that all sold within about 2 weeks.... seems like that was a pretty quick turnover of inventory.... 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)