'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck News, this may be the year to buy a diesel.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-12 6:17 PM
7 replies, 4035 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-10 4:45 PM (#36913)
Subject: Truck News, this may be the year to buy a diesel.

Elite Veteran

Had lunch with the General Director-Truck Marketing for Chevrolet today. Didn't learn a thing. You've probably heard of the new emissions going into effect Jan. 07 for diesels. Gas stations should all be switched over to low sulfur fuel by this summer. But with the new emissions, comes big changes to diesel engines, catalytic converters and heat shielding. And we know that means higher priced diesel pickup trucks. At the Detroit Auto Show last month, couldn't get anyone to spill the beans on what changes to diesels, frames, sheet metal for 2007. Lots of speculation and I couldn't even get a rumor from any of the PR, marketing or engineering. Usually they will give you a rumor to speculate on to gauge public reaction. But it points to higher prices for 2007 trucks.

At the Detroit show, Mercedes showed some of the emission changes to the 07 Mercedes diesel car, with 5 cats. Hope not 5 catalytic converters on trucks. The RV industry is nervous coming up with 150 lb mufflers being developed as after treaters for exhaust emissions. Imagine the heat that will generate.

Will Ford go to a boxed frame on the 07 Super Duty and will we see the twin turbo 6.4L PS? Will the GM 07 truck look like the 07 Tahoe that's out now? Will Dodge make a long bed Mega-Cab? Yesterday at the Chicago Auto Show, Toyota showed off the 07 Tundra with 5.7L gas V-8, 6-speed auto, 10,000 lb towing capacity, 3 cabs and 3 box lengths.

It also sounds like the 07 truck models will be coming out later than usual this year. So 06 trucks could run out before enough 07's are on the ground in normal numbers. In my opinion, the truck that will disappear the fastest will be GM Duramax in HD 2500 and 3500. GM usually doesn't build enough anyway and runs out in December, but this year with the new 6-speed Allison Auto and 360 hp, 650 torque Duramax, this will be the truck hardest to find in the fall.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-02-10 5:00 PM (#36914 - in reply to #36913)
Subject: RE: Truck News, this may be the year to buy a diesel.

Expert

Ford is starting production of their 2007 trucks in April. You should see them on the dealer lots in late May or early June. But they will be about the same as the current 2006.  The new engine/body will come as a 2008 model and will available in Jan 2007, at least from what I'm reading on various other boards.

The Spy photos have shown a larger front bumper on the Fords to meet the new crash standards. various comments indicate that it's been lowered to reduce the possibility of smaller cars sliding under the bumpers of 4x4 trucks. Should be interesting to see how it affects ground clearance.

krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-10 10:18 PM (#36927 - in reply to #36914)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2006-02-10 2:00 PM

The Spy photos have shown a larger front bumper on the Fords to meet the new crash standards. various comments indicate that it's been lowered to reduce the possibility of smaller cars sliding under the bumpers of 4x4 trucks. Should be interesting to see how it affects ground clearance.

I saw something on TV last week in regards to the new safety standards on trucks. It said the makers of the trucks are going to make the trucks be lower. As for ground clearance... that"s where bigger tires and lifts come in. So, if the new owners of these lowers trucks can spend up to $1200 (depends on who does it) for the lifts, what good are these new safety standards going to be? 

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-11 1:43 AM (#36929 - in reply to #36913)

Expert

Word is in March the 4500/5500 Dodge is coming. 6.7 Cummin on a Freightliner frame.Same body.6 speed auto but not sure who's.Paper work hit dealers last week with no photos.
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-02-11 4:30 AM (#36930 - in reply to #36913)

Veteran

We are starting to do "test runs" of the 07 Cummins for the Dodge trucks. These test runs are done on an engine before we start full production later this year. Boy do they look different.
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-02-12 5:24 PM (#37025 - in reply to #36913)

Veteran

The transmission on my 2001 Chevy went out last week.  40,000 miles.  I won't buy another GM product.

Ford has priced themselves out of my ability to pay.  Won't buy a new Ford.

Dodge... better on the payment, but now out of my reach due to fixing the Impala's transmission.

Looks like I'll be driving my '91 F-350 diesel for a good, long time...    At least it is relatively affordable to keep on the road with regards to maintenance costs... and no $650/month payment.

sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-12 5:25 PM (#37026 - in reply to #36913)

Extreme Veteran

Mr Truck; Have you drove the new Duramax with the new 6 speed? I was curious, I have a 05 that I love. Just wondering about the new engine and that 6 speed tranny. What, do I have to go buy a new truck to get that 6 speed. I was told I could get a kit for mine to turn it into a 6 speed, but that it will also VOID the warranty. Is this True? I'm seriously thinking about trading up. What do you think or has anyone else out there have one.
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-12 6:17 PM (#37028 - in reply to #36913)

Elite Veteran

Hey sinful, I'm driving a 06 HD 2500 with the Allison now. Had it for a couple months, but they sold it and now I get something different tomorrow. But I loved it, I'll have the artile soon. The LBZ Duramax has more power and less turbo lag compared to the LLY Duramax that started in 2004.5. The six-speed Allison has a manual toggle switch on the stick like what Nissan Titan was born with in 2004. You can lock the new Allison in any of the 6 gears and it stays there like a manual transmission but doesn't over rap the engine. I pulled a new 6-horse Cimarron threw the Esinhower Tunnel at 11,000 ft. on I-70 and out the West end is a 7% grade. The Allison worked great, actually as good as an exhaust brake.

ATS Diesel performance told me when the 5-speed T1000 Allison first came out, that they could make it into a 6-speed as it was built that way. I would take a different valve body. That's what the new Allison 6 has, is a new valve body, larger Borg Warner TC and larger pump. The gear spacing is the same, the 6th gear is a double overdrive like what the 5-speed auto behind Hemi Rams have. The Allison 3000 used often in Frieghtliner M2's like what Sport Chassis uses a double overdrive 6-speed. Having 2 overdrives works much better with diesels than gas engines. See the press release at http://www.mrtruck.net/allisonpress.htm 

6-speed automatics are big this year, my new car has it and the new 2007 Toyota Tundra will have a 6-speed auto this fall. I expect the new Mercedes auto in Dodge diesels will be a 6-speed, we'll see if it makes it for 07 or 08.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)