'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
*****UPDATE*****Trouble shooting brake box that is malfunctioning

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-17 4:57 AM
5 replies, 3205 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

roanrobey
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-02-14 12:53 PM (#37193)
Subject: *****UPDATE*****Trouble shooting brake box that is malfunctioning

I got a new trailer last year and have been having fits with the brake box. (at least I think its the box)

I had to get a big plug wired in the bed for the plug on the trailer. My husband did the wiring and he is quite capable being a mechanic for 19yrs. Electrical work was his specialty.

When he went to wire the new plug he found a huge mess in the truck wiring. It was previously wired by a professional outfit for the prior owner.

They had stuff wired really weird, but it all worked.

Now that the plug is in and Ive been using my new trailer, the brake box will fail to work occasionally, occasionally lock up the trailer brakes while stopping (its a quick BAM, tug and release) it also has given codes on the controler also. The codes say that there is an internal problem with the controler, and one more, but cant remember what that means.

Had the truck taken in today to a place that wires brake boxes for diagnosis. They say that there is nothing wrong with the box and now they need the trailer there too for further diagnostics.

They took the new plug out of the side of the truck to see if it was the problem, there were no loose wires, nothing grounding out, no problems and they complimented my husband that that was the best wiring job they had seen.

This box worked before the new plug was installed, hubby has checked all connections and power to each prong. All nice and strong, no shorts. THis box worked with any trailer before the new plug and now does all this irratic stuff with all my trailers. (new plug for the gooseneck and 6 prong small plug)

The controller is a Drawtight Activator II

Its giving error codes of "ER" and "2.0"

A "2.0" is a miswired trailer connector. Hubby has already ruled that out.

A "ER" says to return to dealer, internal problems with the controller.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by roanrobey 2006-02-15 1:39 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-15 6:27 AM (#37262 - in reply to #37193)
Subject: RE: Trouble shooting brake box that is malfunctioning

Expert

Originally written by roanrobey on 2006-02-14 1:53 PM

I got a new trailer last year and have been having fits with the brake box. (at least I think its the box)

I had to get a big plug wired in the bed for the plug on the trailer. My husband did the wiring and he is quite capable being a mechanic for 19yrs. Electrical work was his specialty.

When he went to wire the new plug he found a huge mess in the truck wiring. It was previously wired by a professional outfit for the prior owner.

Now that the plug is in and Ive been using my new trailer, the brake box will fail to work occasionally, occasionally lock up the trailer brakes while stopping (its a quick BAM, tug and release) it also has given codes on the controler also. The codes say that there is an internal problem with the controler, and one more, but cant remember what that means.

Had the truck taken in today to a place that wires brake boxes for diagnosis. They say that there is nothing wrong with the box and now they need the trailer there too for further diagnostics.

They took the new plug out of the side of the truck to see if it was the problem, there were no loose wires, nothing grounding out, no problems and they complimented my husband that that was the best wiring job they had seen.

This box worked before the new plug was installed, hubby has checked all connections and power to each prong. All nice and strong, no shorts. THis box worked with any trailer before the new plug and now does all this irratic stuff with all my trailers. (new plug for the gooseneck and 6 prong small plug)

I don't know that particular controller, but the BAM, quick tug, release could be a sign that it needs to be set up, "levelled" and adjusted to your trailer.
It can also happen when brakes are cold and damp, e.g. for the first couple of slowing down type stops on a cold and damp morning. Drum brakes seem to just be like that, they need to warm up to get smoothe and effective, some controller instructions say to warm your brakes by dragging them lightly with the hand lever for 1/4 mile.
e-trailer used to have a truck & trailer wiring diagram for 4, 5, 6 and 7 pin connectors, I think it is on this board's home page now. Check that your truck and trailer are following the SAME wiring convention, there are some differences between RV and other trailer wiring.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-15 7:42 AM (#37265 - in reply to #37262)

Extreme Veteran

I would try a different controller to see if it continued and redo the ground but I bet your hubby already tried the ground thing.
roanrobey
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-02-15 7:50 AM (#37267 - in reply to #37262)

Originally written by Reg on 2006-02-15 6:27 AM

Originally written by roanrobey on 2006-02-14 1:53 PM I got a new trailer last year and have been having fits with the brake box. (at least I think its the box)

I don't know that particular controller, but the BAM, quick tug, release could be a sign that it needs to be set up, "levelled" and adjusted to your trailer. It can also happen when brakes are cold and damp, e.g. for the first couple of slowing down type stops on a cold and damp morning. Drum brakes seem to just be like that, they need to warm up to get smoothe and effective, some controller instructions say to warm your brakes by dragging them lightly with the hand lever for 1/4 mile. e-trailer used to have a truck & trailer wiring diagram for 4, 5, 6 and 7 pin connectors, I think it is on this board's home page now. Check that your truck and trailer are following the SAME wiring convention, there are some differences between RV and other trailer wiring.

The Bam, tug  and release happen in all weather conditions, wet, dry, doesnt matter. They will do it at the beginning of a drive or ah hour into our pull.

This box does not work with trailers it previously worked with. My other trailers take the small round plug and my LQ trailer takes the big round plastic plug.

Its going back to the shop today with my LQ trailer for more trouble shooting.

This is so frustrating.

roanrobey
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-02-15 1:38 PM (#37307 - in reply to #37267)

UPDATE

Had the trailer and truck back at the dealer that installs conrollers.

The looked it over again, checked all wiring on the truck and trailer, also checked the trailer brakes too.

Guess what????

They found the problem!!

There was a wire, not in the same area as where my husband was doing work. It had been stripped like they were gonna use it and didnt.

They said it would touch the frame and short out my box and then when I would pump the brake, the process of slowing down would cause the wire to break contact with the metal frame.

I have blown lots of fuses with this truck, typically running lights on the trailer or truck brake lights. Havent blown a fuse with this trailer, thought the old trailer might have been doing that or something else. It was always the same fuse.

Mystery solved! Best $20 Ive spent!

Guess sometimes it takes another set of eyes to find stuff!!

thanks everyone!

Cricket
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-02-17 4:57 AM (#37377 - in reply to #37193)
Subject: RE: *****UPDATE*****Trouble shooting brake box that is malfunctioning

I had the same type of problem with mine also. It would lock up the brakes on the trailer. But worked fine on the others. I think that it was the plug itself. I'll have to ask the other half. There was something about the pins in the plug itself.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)