'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ size?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-15 3:53 PM
13 replies, 4610 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-14 2:28 PM (#37205)
Subject: LQ size?

Veteran

I have a 2004 Chevy 2500 Duramax, 4wd, Alllison, Long bed, exended cab. How big (Short wall, box length) can I safely pull? Any input as to the best "chip" to put in the Duramax without exhaust mods?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
recurveman
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-14 2:43 PM (#37210 - in reply to #37205)
Subject: RE: LQ size?

Regular

I'm thinking about getting the biggest LQ that Trials West makes with a 3H.  I think the trailer empty will be around 10K and loaded will be in the 14K range.

I have a 2004 Chevy Duramax 4 X 4 shortbed 2500 HD.  I'm going to make the truck a 3500 by adding some springs in the rearend.  I'm going to put the "edge juice with attitude" in my truck.  They say that you should put a 4" exhaust on the truck to keep the exhaust gas temps down.  They also say that the "Banks" exhaust is the best to use. 

I've got a buddy that has the "edge" on his 01 duramax and has loved it with no problems at all.  I'm going to get mine done next week.   Actually I'm going to do it myself.  I should be able to do the exhaust and edge for around 1300 and I just got a quote from a shop where it was going to cost me 2200 plus tax!!!!!!!!  My buddy said it was very easy to install yourself and for 900 I'm going to. 

The "attitude" part of the edge is actually a monitor/gauges that will automatically watch your temps so they don't get to high.  I would think that if you had the attitude you wouldn't have to get the exhause since it will back your power down if it gets to hot.  The only downside is once your truck gets to hot your power will be useless until the truck does cool down.  The question is how often will the exhaust actually help you? 

I really think that any power enhancements that you give your truck are going to create higher exhaust gas temps and you won't be able to utilize the power of the chip without the exhaust.  But you probably won't blow your truck up if you use the edge with attitude since it will monitor your temps. 

Later,

Chad

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-14 3:07 PM (#37214 - in reply to #37205)

Expert

That isn't a question that can be answered like you are going to want.

All trailers have different starting weights and thus you'll need to acccount for this in your LQ weight.  It comes down to what you are safely capable of towing depending not only on your engine but your rear-end, your springs and most importantly your experience.

You'll need to be VERY careful with any answers you get here due to the lack of information you have given out.  Brand A 10'LQ may be only 5,000 lbs. while another brand and set of options could be 8,000 lbs, or more...

If you are thinking about this seriously you should be calling and visiting conversion companies BEFORE ordering your trailer.  I have seen many people buy a trailer and they can "make the payments" only to get it and then realize they'll be needing a new truck too...so are new truck payments in your future? 

If not you should be going to the source (LQ conversion companies) and put in in writing, in your sales contract that if your truck can not handle the weight/length of your new trailer the sale is null and void.

diamond_j
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-02-14 3:38 PM (#37218 - in reply to #37205)

Regular

All trailers have different starting weights and thus you'll need to acccount for this in your LQ weight. It comes down to what you are safely capable of towing depending not only on your engine but your rear-end, your springs and most importantly your experience.

You'll need to be VERY careful with any answers you get here due to the lack of information you have given out. Brand A 10'LQ may be only 5,000 lbs. while another brand and set of options could be 8,000 lbs, or more...

If you are thinking about this seriously you should be calling and visiting conversion companies BEFORE ordering your trailer. I have seen many people buy a trailer and they can "make the payments" only to get it and then realize they'll be needing a new truck too...so are new truck payments in your future?

----that's good advice!
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-02-14 5:49 PM (#37233 - in reply to #37218)

Extreme Veteran

I can give you an example even though my truck is an older model F250 with a rating of 8800lbs. Loaded and I mean loaded (22 gal water tank full in LQ's, fire wood, clothing, dog, feed, hay, tack, other 25 gal water tank full, and lets not forget 2 horses and misc camping gear, generator and 2 people and 2 full fuel tanks) all in our 26' 3 horse Hart with a 4' SW. And we come in 200lbs shy of the rating. Can the truck pull more than that...sure!! but if were to be over the rating and got pulled over and weighed which I have heard has happened before, mostly on the larger trailers, I would be fined and I just don't wnat that to happen. I had my truck way before the trailer and it's paid for so I don't intend on getting a newer one until this one has "half-a-mil" (I'm almost half way there) on it. :) That should give you some idea on the weight though.

As far as a chip, I don't have one and would not want to put one in my truck... just my opinion. My truck has other mods that help but no chip.

Edited by maccwall 2006-02-14 5:54 PM
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-14 6:46 PM (#37238 - in reply to #37233)

Extreme Veteran

In the older models the chips work great especially if you have a standard trans. you get one and you will love it. The only reason I say that about the trans. is because of the increase in horspower and torque it puts more strain on the trans. Good luck on the halfmillion.
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-02-14 7:30 PM (#37245 - in reply to #37238)

Extreme Veteran

Mine is an auto. The thing I've been wanting to do for a while now is put an intercooler in mine. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

(didn't meant to highjack the thread)

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-02-14 8:03 PM (#37246 - in reply to #37205)

Expert

I have a 3 horse Aluminum gooseneck.  Mine has a Jackknife couch and a bathroom on the main floor. So it's probably an 8' shortwall. Overall the trailer box is 24'.  My trailer weighs 7500lbs empty.  Add horses, saddles, water, camp gear etc it probably goes 11,500 to 12,000  My 2003 F350 weighs 7200 lbs with me driving.  So combined I'm 19,200

Ford specs shows my truck's towing rating at 15,500 for the 5th wheel type of trailers. So 12,000 is within that limit. I couldn't spot the Gross Combined rating, but Im pretty sure I'm with in that also.

My truck is stock. No chip. It pulls the above load OK. I do feel the trailer on grades, and if I get behind a slow semi, there is no pulling out into the fast lane to get around him. But I can easily pull 55-60 mph over 7% grades.  Your Duramax should be close.

Be careful with the chip. The hard part is no plugging in the chip, it's drilling a tapping the Pyro and changing out the exhaust.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-15 3:11 AM (#37258 - in reply to #37205)

Expert

What rear axel GEARS???? Pulling this kind of weight 4.10s is the gear.3.73s is NOT enough to pull happily! E load range tires min.also "fully" inflated on rear with a SRW.
captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-15 8:55 AM (#37272 - in reply to #37258)

Veteran

Wow! thanks to all for your input...I obviously need more research. My GVW is 9200 and rear axel is 3.73. I want to pull a 3 horse, aluminum trailer. 9-11 foot shortwall with 22-24' on the floor. It will be used so not sure how to get the weight information I need. Any more help would be appreicated. Thanks
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-15 9:47 AM (#37277 - in reply to #37205)

Expert

Hook to it and go to the garbarge dump or truck stop scales.Pull truck off scales and see whats left.It will be close except for pimn weight OR youi can call trailer manufacture with model and serial number and they will have EMPTY shipping weight.My 1995 CM Ranger 3 horse with eight foot dreesing room shipping weight was 5600lbs.Now its insulated,has carpet saddles,food,sleeping gear,hay,water,clothes,feed and so on.Add 1200 lb horses etc.It get heavy.I pull it with a 2003 Dodge diesel dually H.O.6 speed and 4.10 gears(4x4 which LOWERS tow rating)and on 4% to 6% inclines and TWO horses it KNOWS its back there,LOL
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-15 10:40 AM (#37283 - in reply to #37277)

Elite Veteran

I have a 4 horse with an 8' short wall (16' long wall for the horse stalls and rear tack) and hay rack. According to my MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) it's weight is 5365 pounds. This is the wieght BEFORE any living quarters. On the MSO's the weight listed is before the LQ are installed, since most manufacturers do not do their own living quarters. So once you get the weight of the trailer, you need to go to whoever is going to put in your LQ and ask them what the weight will be after what you want is installed. Average weight of LQ is about 2500 pounds, but depending on what you want, can go up to 3000 pounds. I am doiong my own LQ, so I can do whatever I need to cut back on my weight (like my cabinets will not have a back wall, and I am using wallpaper on the already existing walls).

If you want a couch that turns into a sleeper and a bathroom, I would go with at least an 8' short wall. I am putting that in mine, but with 2 adults and 2 kids, I wish I went with an 8' wide or a 10' short wall. According my trailer manufacturer, adding 1 foot = 300 pounds to the trailer, not including the LQ.

Edited by krys 2006-02-15 10:44 AM
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-15 11:04 AM (#37287 - in reply to #37205)

Extreme Veteran

I have a friend that I pull with that has basically the same truck you are talking about.  They put an Edge chip in theirs.  It only gives around 45-50 more hp.  Not sure exactly how much though.  They pull a 26 foot Hart with a 12' shortwall LQ and have no problem with this much.  It does not squat the truck much at all.   Just make sure you have at least a 10 ply tire on the back. 
Blueduck
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-15 3:53 PM (#37322 - in reply to #37272)

Your 04 2500 Truck with the Duramax & Allison tranny will handle a 24' box gooseneck trailer that can weigh up to 16,500lbs (Gross trailer weight). Just make sure trailer has good electric brakes or even better electric over hydraulic brakes. I had the same truck as you & I put some Firestone air springs on rear & I pulled a trailer that grossed out at 18,900. As for performance chip I chose the Edge "EZ" because it has 3 settings you pick from in cab by toggle switch & at maximum level it adds 65H.P. & 150lbs of torque so you don't have to worry about changing exhaust sizes. It is a very good "chip" at a reasonable price. Don't let people tell you what can & can't pull with that truck. Just go to the Chevy or GMC website & it will tell you what they recommend. Used to love pulling up to contruction sites with my 3/4 ton GMC pulling my 24' job trailer that has 3 axles under it! I now pull it it with a new 3500 1 ton but I still have the 3/4 ton & it has 225,000 miles on it with the original Allison transmission & everything else! These are some awesome trucks!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)