'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Straight to slant?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-15 6:28 PM
11 replies, 3508 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Terrilynn
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-15 11:09 AM (#37288)
Subject: Straight to slant?

New User

At the risk of asking the stupidest question ever, here goes. I have a very basic 2001 Delta 2 horse straight-load trailer, step up, with removeable center divider and a divider up front that can be used to partition off the front area for storage, or can be opened so that the entire interior is open. My question is, if I don't use the center divider or the partition, can I load two horses at a slant by tying their heads in the appropriate places, but without the benefit of a center divider? I ask this for a reason....the way this trailer is set up now, I don't have an escape door at the front if I use the front partition. After two horses are loaded, I have to get out, which means I have to squeeze out the middle or down the side. I really really hate this, even though my horses are very good boys.

If I were to load them at a slant, after I'm done tying the second horse, I can just jump out.

In theory, this makes sense to me...but I haven't actually tried it and wondered if anyone else has. Are slant loads a lot wider than straight loads? This is a fairly roomy trailer---it's 7' tall, but I'm not sure of width.

Is this doable?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
AZ_newguy
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-02-15 11:20 AM (#37290 - in reply to #37288)
Subject: RE: Straight to slant?

Just for clarification: Do you lead your horses into a straight load trailer?
Terrilynn
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-15 11:30 AM (#37292 - in reply to #37288)

New User

Currently, yes. But working on sending instead. Almost there...but not quite.
AZ_newguy
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-02-15 11:44 AM (#37295 - in reply to #37288)

I thought so by your post. It is much safer to use a longe line looped through the tie-off ring, two (one on each side to keep the horse's head centered) is better. That way you can keep them moving forward from behind. Just be careful to allow them to back out if they want. Don't try to hold them with the longe lines. A wise man told me to reward forward motion with slack and praise, and then go again. Backing up is rewarded with discomfort.

Mike
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-15 12:43 PM (#37299 - in reply to #37288)

Extreme Veteran

We have done this in the past with a similar set up that you are describing.  We had issues at one point where the horse loaded in the front would move back and put pressure on the last one loaded.  This caused the one that was loaded on the rear to get shy of wanting to load.  We ended up taking our trailer and making dividers and turning it into a slant load. 
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-15 1:25 PM (#37304 - in reply to #37288)

Expert

Please don't get in the trailer with your horses.  (Large slants being different of course.)

Send your horses in and then shut the doors behind them.  I always have my "attitude adjuster" with me to convey my message.

Terrilynn
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-15 1:31 PM (#37305 - in reply to #37288)

New User

Thanks Derek! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Of course my next question is, what exactly did you do to accomplish this? Did you have to weld something? Was it removable?

I also appreciate the input from AZ and TX. No, I don't want to be in the trailer and know that sending them in and me staying out is optimal. However, we have a bit more work to do on getting this to be a smooth and consistent process. I know how it's done, we are working with a wonderful trainer, and we're coming along. But for now, I was trying to be safe while we perfect it.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-15 2:05 PM (#37309 - in reply to #37288)

Expert

training can be done in a day...
Terrilynn
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-15 2:12 PM (#37310 - in reply to #37288)

New User

Not in my current horse's timeline! :)
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-15 2:22 PM (#37313 - in reply to #37288)

Extreme Veteran

We actually took the trailer and had dividers made of square tubing. Overall, it was cheaper to have them made than to trade trailers.  We had them made to where they could be removed easily.  I would recommend having something to keep them separate.  It took several weeks of work to get the horse that got smashed on the rear to load easily once the dividers were put in place.  I wish we still had the trailer to show you pictures.  The dividers were not real elaborate, but they served the purpose.   Best of luck.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-15 4:14 PM (#37323 - in reply to #37288)

Extreme Veteran

Terrilynn,  it isn't hard to train a horse to load by themselves.  It is all about consistancy and not rushing them.  You can't teach them to load when it is time to go somewhere. 

How I taught ALL of my horses to load is to by walking them up to the opening, I get their noses inside, I give them slack to check things out.  I take a longe whip and gently, very gently tap them on the tail head.  I continue to do this until they take a step.  As soon as they take a step I stop.  I praise them.  Once they have kept that foot forward I start tapping again till they step forward again, you have to remain quiet and let them make the decision to go in.  If they put two feet in and back out, that is ok.  Don't reprimand them.  Realign them and do the gentle tapping.  I have only had do this a couple times.  Now my horses walk right in with no problem.  Each spring I do take the longe whip and if they hesitate I gently tap them as a reminder.  Once I do that they seem to remember and I don't have to do it again.  I have used this method on EVERY horse I have trailered, even an adopted mustang!  You never ever whip them or use it as a prod.  It is a gentle tapping.  It is like someone tapping you on your shoulder to get your attention, that is the amount of pressure you use.  As soon as they step forward stop the tapping! 

I have loaded weanlings, yearlings, even old horses set in their ways with this method.   There is no pressure involved.  I wish you lived closer, I could show you how it is done.  I learned this from my father over 30 years ago!  It is not a method made up by one individual, it is just a method of asking the horse to do something and have them think it is their idea to do it.  I always have grain in there as a reward, even if it is a partial handful.  They learn that loading means a treat and fun ride bye bye!  Hope this helps.

AZ_newguy
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-02-15 6:28 PM (#37328 - in reply to #37288)

Thanks, Mrstactmed. Good advise.

Terrilynn: I hope you're not paying your trainer by the hour.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)