'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Saddle Search

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-23 3:17 PM
10 replies, 7624 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ECMem
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-19 4:10 PM (#37502)
Subject: Saddle Search

New User

It seems everyone at one time or another has tried searching for the perfect saddle. Guess it's my turn. Can anyone give me any input on the Hope Saddle by J.J. Maxwell?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-02-24 12:29 PM (#37759 - in reply to #37502)
Subject: RE: Saddle Search

Veteran

He makes some really nice saddles and they are held in high regard by locals.  I don't have any close friends that own his saddles. Of course, fitting the saddle to your mount is of highest importance. I'll offer a link to his site:

http://www.jjmaxwell.com/

Good luck,

Pete

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-02-25 4:26 PM (#37813 - in reply to #37502)

Thanks Pete;  that is a really nice and informative website!
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-02-25 6:53 PM (#37816 - in reply to #37502)

Regular

Have you ever thought abuot checking out a Steele saddle.  They are unique, in that they send you a saddle and let you ride it and see how it fits you and your animal!  Check out their website

We have been riding Tuckers for the last 2 years, which we really like, but my husband tried one of these and he has his Tucker for sale and order the Steele.

These people make their own trees, and everything, which in todays market makes them somewhat unique.

Happy Trials

www.steelsaddle.com

ECMem
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-26 3:24 PM (#37866 - in reply to #37502)

New User

I have looked at the Steele Saddles but I have more than one horse. A custom saddle made from a cast from one horse is a bit too limiting. Although the Hope Saddles fitting process is similar it seems it might fit a wider range of horses. In addition to the Hope Saddles I am also contemplating a saddle from this web site( http://www.flexpanelsaddle.com/our%20flex%20panel%20saddles.htm ). Of which I am leaning a bit more towards. Can anyone tell me anything about them.
cascadia
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-02-26 4:19 PM (#37873 - in reply to #37502)

Veteran

I solved the problem of multiple horses and one picky rider dedicated to comfort with an Ortho-flex saddle.   I sometimes have one or two used ones to sell. Email me at tbryant@wvi.com and I'll show you what I've got.  They aren't cheap but I've put hundreds of miles on mine and love it.  No one saddle will fit every horse but these fit more then most and the flex panel allows them to adjust for different horses.  I'm especially fond of the A-fork type models.  You can read about them at www.ortho-flex.com but I'd still reccomend a good used one over the new company. 
cascadia
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-02-26 4:30 PM (#37874 - in reply to #37502)

Veteran

Oh and on the Steele saddles, I've had two a small Outlaw model and a large Oldtimer.  I bought them used and was very impressed with the ingenuity of design overall craftsmanship and comfort though the Outlaw was a bit too extreme for my taste and a medium seat would have fit me better.  Both saddles had a very tall and awkward horn but they can be ordered with smaller ones.  I liked these saddles,but my horses horse did not like either one and I ended up going back to Ortho-flex.  I use an Ortho-flex Caliente model and a Traditional.  If you can find a good used Caliente, Traditional, Brazos or Renegade, I think you and your horses will not be disapointed.  These are my favorites of the Western models.  You can get them with booties so you don't have to use a saddlepad.  They are just nifty! 
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-02-27 7:08 PM (#37936 - in reply to #37502)

Regular

We are not having the Steele saddle made to fit any particuliar animal.  But in our case we are buying a mule tree.  They send a particuliar style to you to ride to see if you and the horse, horses you ride can get along with it, we kept it 3 weeks, had plenty of time to find out before we ordered one if our animals were going to get sore.  We own 10 head, and don't just ride one particuliar one either, WELL I try to ride just one, my husband rides them all.  But, thats why they make so many different types of saddles, so we can all be satisfied..   I'm just SO ready to get back to riding! 
bobbi'smom
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-07 6:26 PM (#41395 - in reply to #37874)

LOVE my Ortho-flex Calienti saddle. Next to my horse and dog it is my best friend. It has saved me from many of dumps. It holds you in like a glove and fits all 4 of my horses.
Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-05-07 7:27 PM (#41401 - in reply to #37502)

Regular

I love my OrthoFlex Caliente saddle, too.  But do have your panels inspected if you buy one secondhand.  The delrin can wear grooves that prevent the flexing, causing pressure points where the tree attaches to the panels. My horse developed white hairs and some behavior issues.

I just had new Amera-Flex panels put in mine this winter and my gelding's head tossing and fussing has gone away.  The conversion company http://www.eldoradosaddle.com/  sent my OrthoFlex panels back for me to see the channels worn in the delrin after they put the new panels in.  The saddle was only 5 years old.

Edited by Jean F. 2006-05-07 7:29 PM
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-23 3:17 PM (#42163 - in reply to #37502)

Elite Veteran

S IN THE SAME BOAT...LOOKED AND TRIED ALL KINDS OF THINGS. THEN WENT ON A SAR SYMPOSIUM AND TOOK MY HORSES TO A BIG SADDLE SHOP NEARBY AND FOUND ONE THAT FIT ME THEN FOUND THE SAME SADDLE WITH THE RIGHT TREE TO FIT MY HORSE.

DEALER TOOK IT OUT AND TRIED IT ON MY HORSE UNTILL WE GOT THE RIGHT FIT.

IT IS A CRATES, ROPER, REINER, ALLROUND. THE DEALER LET ME RIDE WITH IT FOR 3 DAYS AND IF IT DIDN'T WORK OUT I COULD BRING IT BACK AND RETURN IT FOR ANOTHER BRAND OR A REFUND.

WELL AFTER 3 DAYS OF HARD USE IT HAD A BIT OF MUD, SWEAT AND OTHER THINGS ON IT. NOT ONLY DID I ENJOY THE MILES OF RIDING MY HORSE CAME OUT IN GREAT SHAPE AS WELL. SHE USED TO HAVE A SORE BACK.

THAT WAS SEVERAL YEARS AND MILES AGO AND WERE STILL GOIN STRONG.

FRIEND OF MINE HAD A NEW HORSE AND PLACED HIS SADDLE ON IT AND WENT PRETTY GOOD TILL THE HORSE TOOK A STEP....YE HAAAA WHAT A BUCK !!!

SADDLE PINCHED.

PUT MINE ON HIM AND RODE ALL DAY WITH NO TROUBLE.HE NOW OWNS ONE TOO.

JUST MY STORY GOOD THING IS IT FITS A LOT OF DIFFERENT HORSES WITH OUT MUCK TROUBLE AND IF MY HORSE DIES OR I HAVE TO RIDE A DIFFERENT ONE I DON'T HAVE TO BURY THE SADDLE WITH HER.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)