'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Camping at CCTR what are the lots like?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-03 2:33 PM
25 replies, 6901 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-22 2:31 PM (#37688)
Subject: Camping at CCTR what are the lots like?

Extreme Veteran

How close together are the lots at CCTR?  Are they grass, do they get muddy?  Are they relatively easy to back in and out of?  Have never been there so would like to know what to expect. Hoping to get reservations for the May trail ride. I have a 3 hs slant w/small living qtrs (gn), will be hauling down 2 horses and plan to reserve two barn stalls. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-22 2:49 PM (#37691 - in reply to #37688)
Subject: RE: Camping at CCTR what are the lots like?

Expert

The sites are big enough for you to get your awning out, park your truck. They are grass or dirt depends on what site you get. They do have wide roads so backing in shouldn't be a problem. They don't have Barn Stalls they have covered stalls in real long sheds. Some of them you'll have a horse behind you some of them don't. Food is good entertainment nightly, excellent riding, lots of water if you like or you can ride all week and never get the feet wet. I have been going for 10 yrs. in Oct. never been in the spring. Freinds go in spring and summer they say it's not as crowded.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-02-22 10:33 PM (#37702 - in reply to #37688)

Extreme Veteran

When I was there my spot was grass.  It did rain and get muddy.  I felt the camping was close and just had enough room to put out an awning and that was it.  I was there in October so it was crowded and have heard May is better for room.  

Also heard May can be bad for flooding and seen pictures from in May with having most of the campground flooded.  They had a picture of a nice truck and trailer right in the middle of it all with water almost over the wheels.  The owners weren't there when it flooded and had locked everything so it could be moved. 

The riding is beautiful from what I'd seen.  We didn't get too far out with the weather being bad.  Have a great trip! 

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-23 8:50 AM (#37713 - in reply to #37688)

Extreme Veteran

If it floods that might be a problem for me as I do not have a 4 x 4.   I might have to rethink this trip this year.  Next year we are buying a new F250 w/4x4.  Thank you to both for giving me great information. 
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-23 9:52 AM (#37716 - in reply to #37688)

Extreme Veteran

Even if you don't have the 4x4 option now, you will find someone to help you if you need anything getting out.  Lots of friendly people willing to help and lend a hand if needed.
Zipitude
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-02-23 10:58 PM (#37737 - in reply to #37688)

Veteran

We have been the past 2 years on 4th of July weekend, and parked out on the gravel bar of the river. I don't recommend that for a spring ride, but there was more room out there, and we had our own little group of friends there all together. There is electric out there too, the outlets are just mounted higher up on the poles. No water outlet out there though, but there is on the other side of the barn stalls.

CCTR is a great place to go if you have never been. A small group of us from Indiana went down for the first time 2 years ago, met an awesome group of people from the Rolla and Jefferson City, MO area, and we have traveled back and forth on other rides in other places with them at least 6 times last year, and they all came to Indiana twice last year!!! We defineitly have about a dozen new lifelong friends now, just from going to Eminence one time!!!!
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-02-25 12:13 PM (#37803 - in reply to #37688)

Extreme Veteran

I would still plan to go on your trip because it may not rain. Robdnorm is right that there's always someone that will help.  You can say that about horse people that they're some of the best ones out there and usually very helpful.

Just mentioned it as a precaution to be prepared.  If you hear it's raining up stream or hard in your area, don't cross the river because you might get a great surprise when you get back that you won't be able to cross.  Usually you can ask the people that run the campground because they're watching the weather and will let know if you need to take caution.

It's a beautiful area to ride and one you shouldn't miss.

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-26 11:16 AM (#37859 - in reply to #37688)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you for that!  I am making reservations tommorow! 

Hope to see you guys there!!!  Just look for the longhaired redhead on a cranky stubborn 16hh buckskin mare...lol

sharonfischer
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-27 12:46 PM (#37915 - in reply to #37688)

Do you ever worry about some of the rowdy folks down there, or some of the improper parties

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-27 3:02 PM (#37925 - in reply to #37688)

Expert

To sharonfisher, I go there with my wife and 5 year old, and have never felt safer anywhere. If you are worried about someone drinking around you, you might want to stay at home and never venture outside.  What is an improper party?

Edited by HWBar 2006-02-27 3:04 PM
lm3dale
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-02-28 5:54 AM (#37953 - in reply to #37688)

Regular

I recently bought a used trailer from a dealer in Indiana...and there were stickers on the back from the CCTR in Missouri....The trailer is a 3 horse slant, with a 14 ft living quarters, burgandy in color...and older trailer..anyone have any clue who owned this trailer...maybe someone has seen it there?  Would just like to get in contact with the former owner....we are doing some major "facelifts" to this trailer, new paint, living quarter updates....just would like to know some more history on the trailer...thanks!
sharonfischer
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-03-03 2:07 PM (#38204 - in reply to #37925)

my sister was brutally beaten at age 9 and spent the last 20 days of her life in a coma from a trail ride my parents let us go on in the west 25 years ago. So I always worry about my family when we plan trips if I am not familar with the location.  I apologize for my over protectiveness, my sister never had a chance to grow up and pass on her love of horses to a family she might of had.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-03-03 3:43 PM (#38208 - in reply to #37688)

Expert

I am real sorry about your sister, nothing I can say will change your feelings, but criminals are everywhere, in the line in front of you at the grocery, living 3 doors down, driving beside you on any road. I don't think it is very common for criminal activity to happen at trail rides. I feel that CCTR is one of the safest places you can go. JMO
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-03-03 8:19 PM (#38228 - in reply to #37688)

Veteran

When we were there, we saw people go off riding and leave their tack doors open with saddles in site to the public. Never heard anything about anyone getting anything stolen. I think the party'ers tend to stick to their own group and then i heard what they call geritol lane, for the older folks. I have heard so many horror stories about cctr and when we were down there we never encountered such things. Debbie
Zipitude
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-03-04 4:24 PM (#38263 - in reply to #37688)
Subject: RE: Looking for a new truck

Veteran

I agree with the last post, When we were there it was like we had known our "neighbors" forever. We never locked our trailer, or closed the tack door, and heck, I think I even left my keys in the truck (by accident) a couple of times. Some of our best friends in the world, we met there at CCTR a couple of years ago, and every one there was really nice. Of course there is one idiot in every crowd anywhere you go, and we have seen that too, but it was just some young kids (teenagers) who had gotten out of control. Nothing serious, just kids having a little too much fun, in the wrong place at the wrong time. Overall, CCTR is the best place like that I have ever been!!!
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-09 9:09 AM (#38517 - in reply to #37688)

Extreme Veteran

My cousin and I are definitely going to the May ride!!!  I am so excited.  Thank you to everyone with their words of advice and experiences with CCTR.  I am looking forward to going and enjoying the sights!  We are going to have pads put on.  Should it be just the front feet or all 4?  Should we have regular shoes or do we need borium ones for better grip?  I need to know so I can schedule the farrier to do the work.  He is ordering good pads for our horses as soon as I let him know how many he needs. 

Do you bring a back up horse in case your riding horse goes lame?  We thought about bringing two each. 

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-03-09 9:18 AM (#38519 - in reply to #37925)

Elite Veteran

AMEN !!!!!

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-03-09 5:10 PM (#38547 - in reply to #37688)

Expert

You'll need pads on the front feet only, as far as extra horses, I guess it depends on how much you ride. I have been on all day slow rides out there and 1 horse always did it for me. If you ride those floppy footed things and cover alot of ground in a day may need 2 or 3 of them little guys. LOL

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-03-09 5:41 PM (#38548 - in reply to #37688)

Veteran

We have rode all over the state of mo on some of the rockiest trails and have never put pads on any of our horses. The only place someone recommended pads for shoes was 4-J which we have not rode.Debbie

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-10 6:52 AM (#38568 - in reply to #37688)

Extreme Veteran

Has anyone gotten to see the wild horses there?  I saw pics of them on the website.  I heard they are really hard to actually see.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-03-10 6:54 PM (#38632 - in reply to #37688)

Extreme Veteran

I would recommend having at least the front feet with pads.  If Michigan is like Iowa, you don't really have rocks so you can't really toughen feet up to those kinds of rocks.  I figure I'd rather be safe and have my horse last the week. 

I have one horse that I put pads on all four when I ride at the 4J otherwise he'll get ouchy towards the end of the week on his back feet.

As for bringing two horses, it depends on your horse.  I have one horse that's my energizer bunny and keeps going the same from the first day until the end.  My other two horses will get tired by the end of the week. 

Depends on what kind of shape you can get them in by May.  In my area of Iowa I do have some big hills to ride but it still doesn't compare to the hills down there so it's hard to get them in shape for the big, long hills.  I've been teased I ride flat-landers horses.

It might not be a bad idea to bring at least one extra horse so if you get one horse getting real tired, you can give them the day off and rotate horses. 

Let us know how your trip goes!

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-03-12 8:08 PM (#38720 - in reply to #37688)

Veteran

We have seen the wild horses. They are neat. You can primitive camp at Shawnee Creek close to where they are. If you don't go on the organized rides, maybe you can hook up with someone that knows the area and ride with them. That is how we did our first time there. They also give trail maps now. I did notice that the trails are marked better than they used to be. Debbie
truckin_cowboy_63
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-03-13 1:22 PM (#38742 - in reply to #37688)

i have been to the june ride for 3 years i pad all 4 feet but thats just a habit i got into cause the 1st horse i took was really tender footed "better to be safe than sorry' i've never takin a spare horse but i always start ridding in shawnee national forest in march or april so my ole boy is in pretty good shape by june i also have never ran into any trouble there everyone is so nice & helpful ya feel like ya known everyone a long time by the weeks end have a good time

sundance's girl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-03-13 9:28 PM (#38776 - in reply to #37688)

I have been the past two years in October.  Have not padded his feet and he only got sore when trying to keep up with those crazy walking horses (trot, cantor, trot, cantor, run... dont remember much walking.. stupid name).  Anyway I saw the wild horse both times and at times people said they wouldn't be there, late morning and afternoon.  But last year a ranger told the people behind me they  weren't allowed in the field or down the road.  But he wasn't very consistent on telling everyone and there were no signs...  CCTR is a great place.  Everyone's real friendly and helpful.  We just tagged along with the neighbors, never did an organized ride.  Will be back this October!!
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-03 1:28 PM (#39925 - in reply to #37688)

Extreme Veteran

Getting really excited now!  Got confirmation on my lot site and stalls!!!  My cousin and I are really looking forward to this! 

I forgot to ask about wildlife on the trails.  Venomous snakes to be aware of? Any other wild critters to watch for?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)