'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Best route from Phoenix to central Utah

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-23 3:30 PM
7 replies, 7028 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

juniorhope
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-25 8:06 PM (#39507)
Subject: Best route from Phoenix to central Utah

New User

Looking for feedback from anyone that has driven from Phoenix to central Utah. (specifically Beaver, UT)  I have had people tell me stay on the major interstates (ie I17 north to I40 west to hwy 93 via kingman to las vegas and the I15 north).  But that seems a very long way.  It seems shorter to go hwy 89 north and connect to I15 in St George but I don't know the road conditions (i.e. switchbacks, curves, climbing altitude, etc) I just want the safest and easiest route for my horses.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
AZ_newguy
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-03-26 9:09 AM (#39521 - in reply to #39507)
Subject: RE: Best route from Phoenix to central Utah

I agree with you. Just grab 89 out of Flag and head North through Page. The view of the Lake Powell sandstone is awesome in Page. I wouldn't recommend 89A through the Kaibab as some of the climbs and curves will test your resolve if you're looking for the 'easiest and safest' route.

I'm hoping to check out the Cedar Breaks, UT area this summer and that is the route I 'll take.

Safe trailering,
Mike
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-03-26 11:28 AM (#39538 - in reply to #39507)

Expert

Take 89 north. The route you describe through Kingman will add hours to your drive. And you have to go through all that traffic in Vegas.

Hiway 89 through Page Az is an easier pull. But 89A over the Kaibab is not that bad and a MUCH prettier drive. It is a narrow two lane road and climbs from 4000 feet to over 7200 feet. I see Semi trucks on it all the time. Granted most are Lumber and Sawmill trucks. Winter months it gets snowy, but we should be past most of that by now.  It has lots of places to pull off in the shade and stretch your horses. As well as a lot of wildlife, Turkeys, elk and deer. Maybe I should allow you to decide which is prettier.  Through Page is red rock country. Over the Kaibab you have some of both. About an hour of Red rock through Marble Canyon and Lee's Ferry and then Big tall Pondeosa Pine trees up around Jacobs Lake.

Either way will meet up in Kanab Utah. continue north on 89 to Panguitch. Panguitch has a fairground and I'm pretty sure they have some over night stalls if you want to stop and spend the night

About 20 miles north of Panguitch take Hiway 20.  It will cross over the mountain range and join with I-15 just south of Beaver. A lot of the Semi's heading South from Salt Lake to Phoenix use this route. Again it has a pretty good climb, but is very doable unless your truck is under powered for the trailer.

Edited by Painted Horse 2006-03-26 11:34 AM
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-04-07 9:59 PM (#40095 - in reply to #39538)

Veteran

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2006-03-26 11:28 AM

Take 89 north. The route you describe through Kingman will add hours to your drive. And you have to go through all that traffic in Vegas.

Not to mention going thru the Dam!  I HATE that area, especially pulling a trailer.  When we moved up here, I had the bright idea to go thru Laughlin since we had 2 good sized goosenecks & the U-Haul going together - thought that would be easier than dealing w/idiot tourists stepping out in front of us at the Dam....well, it was hotter than blazes & the climb up out of there dang near took out the next transmission out of my truck!  I don't have a map in front of me now, but I pulled a big loaded horsetrailer up 89 to Moab & didn't have a bit of trouble - not sure if that's the route you're considering.  Only thing is to watch your fuel...there used to be a LONG stretch w/o facilities.

juniorhope
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-08 8:32 PM (#40126 - in reply to #39507)

New User

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-04-08 11:14 PM (#40136 - in reply to #39507)

Expert

Moab is on the eastern side of the state. They will be coming up through Kanab.  But it is Highway 89.

I know the dam you are talking about is the Hoover dam near Vegas.  The road up through Page Arizona and then over to Kanab goes across Glen Canyon (Lake Powell) But that is not a big deal to drive across. I worry more about the Navajo sheep & goats on the road as you cross the Indian reservation than the tourist around the dam.

juniorhope
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-12 1:46 AM (#40300 - in reply to #39538)

New User

thanks for the directions and suggestions. hopefully it will be a fun and smooth trip.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-23 3:30 PM (#42164 - in reply to #39507)

Elite Veteran

IF YOU OR ANYONE ELSE HEADS FOR VEGAS FROM EITHER DIRECTION.... THEY WON'T LET TRAILERS ON THE DAM. YOU HAVE TO TAKE A DETOUR WAY AROUND TO THE WEST.THEY STOP ALL TRAFFIC AT BOTH ENDS OF THE DAM AND LOOK FOR COVERS,CAMPERS, ETC AND SEARCH THEM IF THEY CAN'T SEE THE BED.JUST CAME THRU THERE.GLAD I DIDN'T HAVE A TRAILER ON. FYI
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)