'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trip To South Dakota

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-04 3:31 PM
8 replies, 4203 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

SkipperW
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-03 12:50 AM (#41223)
Subject: Trip To South Dakota

We're planning a trip to South Dakota next year and would like to hear from folks who have stayed in the Badlands/Black Hills area. One thing that I'd really like to experience is riding to Mt. Rushmore, so proximity to those trails would be important. Also would like some advice on the best time of year to go and the best place to stay.

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-05-03 8:50 AM (#41235 - in reply to #41223)
Subject: RE: Trip To South Dakota

Extreme Veteran

The Black Hills in July/August is awesome! Cool days and nights and greatest scenery. We stayed at Elk Haven. It's right on the edge of Custer State Park with direst access to trails in Black Elk Wilderness. You can ride to Mt Rushmore from there but it's an all day ride (8+ hours r.t.).

Willow Creek is right across the road from Mt. Rushmore. It's attached to a KOA but across a road. So, you're not staying AT the KOA.

You will definately want reservations as the camps fill up at that time. Also avoid the time when the Sturgis Mortocycle Rally is on. It is in early August. They say that the cycles more than double the population of South Dakota.

Edited by Cloud9 2006-05-03 8:53 AM
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-05-03 8:57 AM (#41236 - in reply to #41223)

Extreme Veteran

The Badlands are beautiful in a "Moonscape" kind of way. But extremely HOT in the summer - 100 + degrees. Never stayed there but you can take a short loop off of the interstate and drive through. It'll add 30 minutes or an hour to the trip. But well worth it. The Badlands are just east of Wall, with the famous Wall Drugs.

From some of the high points in Custer State Park you can see the badlands in the distance ( about 50 miles away).
4N Country
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-05-04 10:46 AM (#41297 - in reply to #41223)

Stayed at Palmer Gulch KOA just down the road from Mt Rushmore.  The have corrals for the horses and the trails will lead you to Mt. Rushmore but it took over 4 hours one way.  They also have the Harney Peak trail not far away (highest peak around type of thing).  The Koa has 2 huge pools, mini golf, restaurants, ice cream shop, outdoor camp kitchens and nice showers.  If you are not serious about roughing it....check out the website www.palmergulch.com  We had a blast and the nights cooled down after 80 degree days.  The elevation is perfect for camping and not much in the line of bugs, flies or mosquitoes either.  They have horses to rent for guided trailrides so the campground is VERY horse friendly! 
jmbadavis
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2006-05-05 2:39 PM (#41335 - in reply to #41297)

We have gone to Black Hills a few times.  We usually stay part of the time at French Creek in Custer, then one day the guys drive the trucks and trailers to Willow and we ride the horses there.  It is a long days ride to Willow but it is nice.  My favorite ride is the ride from Willow to Harney Peaks.  It is awesome.  We drove to see Mt. Rushmore because where you leave the horses is not close to the exhibit. And to see the exhibit takes a while because there is lots of stuff to look at. If you are planning to stay in the park, mark reservations as soon as you know you are going because the parks fills up very fast.

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-05-10 3:27 AM (#41527 - in reply to #41223)

Veteran

There are some people I know from Indiana that are going this June. I can have them contact you if you would like. Maybe find out where they are staying, what they have planned, and then how the trip was after they get back. I think they will be gone 2 weeks. Just let me know if you want contact info. I think the area you are going is where they are going. I'm sure they would be glad to share.
Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-05-12 6:13 PM (#41647 - in reply to #41223)

I live in South Dakota and have been there and done that! anything you want to know just Private Message me or Email me and i'll tell ya! if i dont know i will most certainly recommend someone to talk to! your going to LOVE south dakota home of the beautiful Mount Rushmore!
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-05-12 8:37 PM (#41649 - in reply to #41223)

Veteran

We've been to the Black Hills and ridden for the last 2 years. We stayed at Elk Haven the first year. There is some nice riding there and good facilities. Last year we stayed at TC horse camp. There is plenty of good riding there also. There are so many places to stay and so many trails to ride in the Black Hills. We went in late June the first time. It was cool in the mornings and warmed up in the afternoons but it never got warm enough to break a sweat. Last year we went in September and it was perfect riding weather. Sunny everyday and light jackets in the morning and long sleeve tshirts in afternoon. HOpe you enjoy your trip.   
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-06-04 3:31 PM (#42616 - in reply to #41649)

Extreme Veteran

The last quarter of a mile of the trail that goes to Rushmore is pretty tough be careful and don't hurt your horse.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)