'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Camping check list.....ideas???

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-08 7:36 PM
18 replies, 8932 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-06-02 11:05 AM (#42551)
Subject: Camping check list.....ideas???

Veteran

Were getting ready to head down to Shawnee next week. Our LQ were built in this year, so I am "re-stocking" stuff. Any ideas on stuff that I need to add. Never fails, you get somewhere and say "oh, I wish I had brought_____". Working on my list, so suggestions are appreciated!!!
Diane
kinda like last year, we were smart enough to bring a waffle maker, too bad I forgot the veggie oil and measuring cups, yummy waffles:-)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-02 11:44 AM (#42554 - in reply to #42551)
Subject: RE: Camping check list.....ideas???

Expert

Last time we went camping we made pancakes and found out to late we didn't have anything to flip them with.
bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-06-02 2:54 PM (#42567 - in reply to #42551)

Regular

Went camping last weekend for the first time in my horse trailer.  Wish I had had several things - a broom, tablecloth clamps, ant spray, water hose and sprayer, a rug to put at my doorstep, and some other stuff like more lights to put on my awning and some of those bucket lights to put around the campsite.  Also very grateful I had my toolbag, as my awning broke and it took me two screwdrivers, a hammer, pliers, and lot of sweat to get it down where I could secure it alongside the trailer for the ride home.  My trailer also tripped the Ground Fault Interrupter plugs that the campsite had and I had to borrow a 30 amp adapter from the campsite manager.  So, I am going to invest in one of those for next time too. 

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-06-02 3:25 PM (#42568 - in reply to #42551)

Veteran

I just added the tablecloth clamps last trip:-) I have the indoor/outdoor carpet on my list too. I hate tracking all the grass, leaves and "other stuff" inside. Thanks for the ideas!
diane
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-06-02 8:05 PM (#42584 - in reply to #42551)

Extreme Veteran

Rain gear,  first aid kit for horses and people, tarp, fire starter, vet papers, electric light & extension cords, clock, tool box, fire extinguisher, fan, t.p. paper,  towels, pillows, soap, shampoo, deodorant, gloves, camera/film, big glasses for drinks,  wheel chocks, boards to level trailer, lantern, flashlight & batteries, plates, matches, hatchet, kleenex, map, fly swatter, rubber boots, anything you'd use to cook over fire for pies or hotdogs and don't forget supplies to make smores for your son, bug spray, spare eyeglasses or sunglasses.

Have a safe & great trip!

longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-06-02 10:47 PM (#42591 - in reply to #42584)

Extreme Veteran

One of those boot scrappers or mat made to clean off boots, step ladder to help put up picket lines if you use them. I even have a small electric air compressor that has come in handy, just crank up the generator and let it rip. Did you have manure fork or shovel listed?? It seems you never have what you need.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-03 9:17 AM (#42597 - in reply to #42551)

Expert

Don't forget sunblock and any meds you may be taking.  A canteen or water bottle that can hang on your saddle comes in handy too.
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-06-03 10:12 AM (#42598 - in reply to #42551)

Extreme Veteran

if you have room a fold up wheelbarrow, alot of places here in the mountains want you spread out your manure and feed, I got mine on Country Supply for I think it was $18. Portable radio/CD player, reading material for quiet relaxing campfire moments extra feed pans, buckets oh and dont' forget a portable corral or highline to pickit to if you are going for a few days......
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-06-04 2:10 AM (#42605 - in reply to #42551)

Veteran

This is a good site. www.usrider.org  It has check lists and other info you can download without being a member.  I joined it this year and am going to be traveling soon. Hope I don't need them, but will be there if I need them.  The list is mainly for traveling but has stuff for camping too.  Hope it helps.
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-06-05 6:18 PM (#42653 - in reply to #42551)

Veteran

I carry duck tape in my saddle bags and easy boot in case you lose a shoe. Banimine and bute, if it heats up you might have a horse colic. I have a little fan, I don't always like the air on.
Where are you going in Shawnee? Have a safe trip. I was down there all last week. I was in heaven.
Happy Safe Trails
Shari50
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-06-05 9:35 PM (#42661 - in reply to #42551)

Veteran

I used to carry Banamine, but after the vet told me that if  it get's bad, you could do more harm than good, I don't have any. 

We are staying at Hayes Canyon this year.  We were going to Bear Branch, but decided on Hayes at the last minute.  Where did you stay?  I am looking forward to lots of riding on my new horse, and a relaxing time away from work! 

Diane

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-05 9:55 PM (#42663 - in reply to #42567)

Expert

Originally written by bonniejf on 2006-06-02 1:54 PM

Went camping last weekend for the first time in my horse trailer.  ....  My trailer also tripped the Ground Fault Interrupter plugs that the campsite had and I had to borrow a 30 amp adapter from the campsite manager.  So, I am going to invest in one of those for next time too. 

There wasn't a GFI on the 30 amp circuit.  You might want to invest some time into finding out why your trailer was tripping the GFCI.  You have a wiring mistake or failed appliance in your trailer.  Either way it's dangerous... 

bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-06-06 8:46 AM (#42676 - in reply to #42663)

Regular

Originally written by hosspuller on 2006-06-05 9:55 PM

Went camping last weekend for the first time in my horse trailer.  ....  My trailer also tripped the Ground Fault Interrupter plugs that the campsite had and I had to borrow a 30 amp adapter from the campsite manager.  So, I am going to invest in one of those for next time too. 

There wasn't a GFI on the 30 amp circuit.  You might want to invest some time into finding out why your trailer was tripping the GFCI.  You have a wiring mistake or failed appliance in your trailer.  Either way it's dangerous... 

I used the 30 amp plug to run everything for the weekend.  I've had electrical questions about this trailer from day one - and I've asked everyone I know for help.  Problem is I've gotten as many different answers as people I've asked - including 2 electricians.  The only thing that was on in the trailer was the a/c, nothing else was plugged up.  The campsite manager suggested that it was my cord.  With the breakers off in the trailer and the cord plugged into the trailer, the GFI would trip when I plugged the cord into it.  He told me that the cord would probably get hot and then I'd know it was a bad cord.  It never got even the slightest bit warm - and I used it for 24 hours straight.  I was using a yellow generator cord that is either 12 or 10 gauge wire.  Everything works just fine when I plug it up to my house and run the a/c in the trailer.  I don't know what the problem is.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-06 11:16 AM (#42685 - in reply to #42676)

Expert

Originally written by bonniejf on 2006-06-06 7:46 AM

Originally written by hosspuller on 2006-06-05 9:55 PM

I used the 30 amp plug to run everything for the weekend.  I've had electrical questions about this trailer from day one - and I've asked everyone I know for help.  Problem is I've gotten as many different answers as people I've asked - including 2 electricians.  The only thing that was on in the trailer was the a/c, nothing else was plugged up.  The campsite manager suggested that it was my cord.  With the breakers off in the trailer and the cord plugged into the trailer, the GFI would trip when I plugged the cord into it.  He told me that the cord would probably get hot and then I'd know it was a bad cord.  It never got even the slightest bit warm - and I used it for 24 hours straight.  I was using a yellow generator cord that is either 12 or 10 gauge wire.  Everything works just fine when I plug it up to my house and run the a/c in the trailer.  I don't know what the problem is.

You have a wiring mistake in your trailer...  You said the GFI will trip when you have all the breakers off.  This tells me that the problem is not in any of the appliances.  If you look in your breaker box, I'll bet that the green wire and the white wires are connected together. (if the colors used for ground and neutral are typical) This is wrong. 

For a better explanation go to Mr. Truck's website.

mrtruck.com  ... second page, under reviews.  I wrote an article about GFI's.  There's a picture of what should be in your breaker box.

Please let us know what you find in the breaker bos.

bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-06-06 11:34 AM (#42687 - in reply to #42551)

Regular

ok, wow.  Just read the article - just what I needed to know.  You described my exact experience!  I won't be where my trailer is until Saturday - but you can bet that the first thing I do will be to examine the breaker box.  Thank you so much.

Edited by bonniejf 2006-06-06 11:35 AM
clow
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-06-06 2:00 PM (#42696 - in reply to #42551)

Regular

A couple of items I keep in the trailer, a pair of nippers and a file. If I throw a shoe, I can pull the other one and be on my way. I also keep an old shoe for each horse in the trailer so I can put a shoe back on if needed (depends on the trail). This year I purchased a new mat for the outside of the trailer. I prefer it to the indoor/outdoor carpets. The mat folds very easily with one person, it stores in a small amount of space and rain/mud/sand ect will filter through it so I don't track in the trailer. I purchased mine at a local RV place, but I've seen them on the web and they have them at campworld. The final item I won't be without is stake citronella holders. I put one at each corner of my map and presto no more bugs under the awing!
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-07 12:02 PM (#42727 - in reply to #42551)

Elite Veteran

One thing I have found with horse people is that if you are camped out and find you forgot something or need something you don't have or don't know how to use, the other horse campers will gladly help you out. Thats how new friends are made !!

I carry lots of stuff and occasionly run out or forget something, most of the time I end up using My farrier tools on someone elses horse and save the day.

It makes it nicer for everyone, you get to practice your horse shoeing and they get to enjoy the trip!!

I have enjoyed a lot of steak dinners and cold refreshments that way.After all arent We all doing it for the same reason ? We all have lost our marbles and keep buyin horse stuff,get more horses,need bigger trailer,bigger trailer,need bigger truck,haul more stuff need bigger trailer.....is there no end!!!

HA HA !! remember to pack a big sense of humor and enjoy yourself, life is too short and there are too many nice places you havent been yet.

Maybe we will pass on the trail someday.

OH SHOOT, I FORGOT THE TOILET PAPER.....

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-07 1:37 PM (#42730 - in reply to #42727)

Expert

Originally written by SLICKRNSNOT on 2006-06-07 11:02 AM

One thing I have found with horse people is that if you are camped out and find you forgot something or need something you don't have or don't know how to use, the other horse campers will gladly help you out. Thats how new friends are made !!.

OH SHOOT, I FORGOT THE TOILET PAPER.....

Keep away from thee ... leaves of three ...

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-06-08 7:36 PM (#42780 - in reply to #42551)

Extreme Veteran

I like Clow's idea of taking an old shoe for each horse, haven't heard of that one before.  Thanks!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)