'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
looking for trail riding campground

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-03 11:44 PM
15 replies, 4792 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-06-12 2:28 PM (#42907)
Subject: looking for trail riding campground

Extreme Veteran

Several of us are looking to take a long weekend at the end of Oct. that would be within 2-3 hours drive from Hardin Co. KY (50 mi south of Louisville). We would like to go somewhere with moderately challenging trails and preferably a place that provides meals for us. I'm on vacation, I'm not here to cook! We like to have electric sites and modern bath houses. Where should we go?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-06-12 3:38 PM (#42911 - in reply to #42907)
Subject: RE: looking for trail riding campground

Elite Veteran

I think BearBranch in south Illinois/ Eminence/or Golden Hills in south central Missouri...
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-06-12 6:48 PM (#42924 - in reply to #42911)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for your reply. We went to Bear Branch a few years ago and didn't really care for it, but I think it is under new management since  then. We were at One Horse Gap over Memorial weekend which is in the same area as Bear Branch and had a blast. We just returned from Midwest in IN. We are looking for a place relatively close to home this time since we can't leave until after work. Also, we have several people interested in going with us, some of which are new to this type of thing. Someone told me about a place called Red Hill in Livingston,KY. I looked up their website and it looks promising but I would sure like to hear from someone who has actually been there. C'mon riders, help me out!                  RIDE ON!

JimA
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-06-12 9:27 PM (#42932 - in reply to #42907)

You might want to look at Red Hill Horse camp. We just got home from the june ride. Great place . They have a web site or call gene @606-758-4706
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-06-13 5:31 AM (#42937 - in reply to #42932)

Extreme Veteran

Hi JimA   Thanks. We have looked at the website for Red Hill. I was hoping to get a rider report on things such as:  Was the campground clean and well set up? What were the stalls like? Is the bath house clean and centrally located? How challenging are the trails and are they well marked? I would really like to hear about your time there!

LFEquines
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-13 7:16 AM (#42940 - in reply to #42907)

This may be too far for you but....Loretta Lynn's Ranch in Hurricane Mills, TN

I have been there only for the plantation tour but a fellow mule rider told me the facilities, food and all were excellent. Give them a call.
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-06-13 9:10 AM (#42949 - in reply to #42907)

Extreme Veteran

Land Between the Lakes Wrangler Camp at Golden Pond, KY is a really nice place with full hookups and nicely marked trails.  They have just recently added reservations to some of their sites. 
JimA
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-06-13 1:58 PM (#42966 - in reply to #42937)

Dwight

We found the camp well kept grass mowed gravel parking places and overall well maintained. Sites are in two sections the first in open and the other in wooded area off a circle drive. The stalls are in the middle area of the wooded campground and are 12'x12 with solid sides and backs with gate fronts they were clean when we arrived and extra bedding was available.  The barn is well lit and water is readily available wash racks are across the road from the barn. There is only one bath house with one shower for men and one shower for women. It was cleaned regularly. The trails vary from easy to challenging. Maps are available and gps coordinates are posted on trail intersections. Rides are guided during organized rides and meals are also provided.

Jima

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-06-13 7:38 PM (#42978 - in reply to #42907)

Extreme Veteran

JimA                        &n

p;                        &nbs
bsp;                        &n

p;                      
bsp;     
You say there are GPS coordinates, but we have not learned how to navigate one yet(I can barely figure out how to post on these forums)! Are the trails marked pretty well according to the maps provided? We don't mind having a trail guide but since we will probably be there when it is not an organized ride, there might not be a guided ride. We have lots of experience in getting lost and we don't like it too much! Hey! Maybe you'd like to join us and keep us on the right trail!?! Just a thought. Thanks for all your info.                                           Dwight and Beverly
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-06-13 7:41 PM (#42979 - in reply to #42907)

Extreme Veteran

what the heck is all that garbage? I told you I wasn't very technical!  D & B
JimA
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-06-15 7:59 PM (#43081 - in reply to #42978)

Dwight

The GPS coordinates noted on the map are numbered coresponding numbers are painted on trees and rocks at trail intersections there are also signs showing back to camp and milage most weekends someone familar with the trails will be in camp and ride with guest lots of times it is Gene the camp owner.

JimA

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-06-17 11:09 PM (#43183 - in reply to #42907)

We just got home from 3 nights/4 days at Willow Creek Horse Camp at Cadiz, KY.   The camp hosts were very nice;  the trails ranged from very easy to challenging.  Only problem we had was the water;  they have county water and our horses and us too! are used to well water so next time we will take water for the horses.  Even the cherry flavored electrolyte stuff that we put in their bucket wasn't enuf flavoring so I ended up putting some gatorade in it too.  I guess our horses have well developed taste buds.  Anyway I was wondering what the water was like at LBL?  We do plan to go back to Willow Creek again this year.

Edited by rose 2006-06-19 9:40 PM
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-06-19 9:29 AM (#43240 - in reply to #42907)

Extreme Veteran

Hey Jan,

I am not sure about the water source at LBL.  I was there this weekend and we have never had our horses not drink up there.  Our horses are used to well water as well.  I do know that they have people come by and test the water on a regular basis in the camp.  I have seen them do this on several occasions.  That leads me to believe they might pump their own inside the LBL facility.  Hope you had a better ride than we did.  It came a flood about the time we headed back.  We were soaked along with all our gear before we could make it back. 

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-06-19 9:44 PM (#43290 - in reply to #42907)

Hi Derek:  We had good riding.  Came home Friday;  got rained out for the horse show Saturday night.  Jan
Betsy
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-06-22 9:42 PM (#43485 - in reply to #42907)

I rode at Red Hill a couple of years ago. It is a very nice camp. The campsites in the woods are by far the best, in my opinion, for summer camping. The stalls are nice box stalls. We were camped close to the barn. I think that we were the only people there using the stalls; everyone else was picketing.

The bath house was very inconvenient from our campsite. When we arrived, it seemed like we had to choose whether to be close to the barn or close to the bath house, so we chose the barn. The bath house was for one person at a time. If several people were camping in trailers that were not self contained, that could be a problem.

I think that they have some organized weekend rides with food provided. That was not the case when I was there, though.

The riding was good. I would like to go back sometime but haven't made it yet.

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-03 11:44 PM (#43975 - in reply to #42907)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks guys!

I think we have pretty much decided on Red Hill. We'll be going the last weekend in Oct. for a 3 night stay. There is not an organized ride that week so I guess we'll have to cook for ourselves. Or maybe I can get enough people to join us and we can convince Gene to open the kitchen. Probably a long shot but I just hate to pack all that food! OK I'll quit being lazy. Thanks again.

RIDE ON!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)