'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dead horses at CCTR, what a tragedy

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-13 1:08 PM
27 replies, 7741 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowby
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-06-26 8:59 PM (#43679 - in reply to #43246)
Subject: RE: Dead horses at CCTR, what a tragedy

Tie Downs aren't the problem. PEOPLE ARE!!! Horses don't need a tie down if you stay out of their mouths. Whenever you see a horse with his head up in the air, it's because of the bit, He's trying to get away from it. Me and my wife use them when we rope for the horse to brace against. When we head out on the trail my horse gets a hack and my wifes' is in a bosel. There can be other factors involved with horses drowning. As with anything in life it's not big thing, it boils down to a bunch of small things. The horse is already tired from the days ride and then you decide to take another trail back, only to find out that at the end is a deep crossing. These are a few things learned along the way. When you're crossing deep water the cinch should be loosened enough for the horse to fill his lungs to capacity, but tight enough so the saddle won't roll. ( I know I'm going to catch it about loosening a cinch) The other thing is when you hit deep water you can't just sit in the saddle or you will sink the horse, Instead let you feet slide back so that you will float on the water, but be sure you have a hand full of mane because when he starts the get his footing, the horse will lunge forward to get out of the water. The only real safe way to cross deep water is bare back. When we are out riding we don't cross water that is deeper than the horses belly. Why ruin a good saddle. These are things that work for us, every horse, rider and situation is different.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hoosierbrgal
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-07-07 11:14 PM (#44249 - in reply to #43176)

New User

I have been to Eminence almost 19 yrs out of my 30 yrs. Love it down there. Yes, the place has grown & changed, but still has alot to offer.

Every year there have been horses that die from the stupidity of their owner and it's a d**n shame. Whether it's riding the crap out of them then letting them drink all they want from the cold river, or just out of shape and riding the crap out of them, causing them to tie up. TOTAL MORONS. But, I have also seen it at smaller rides to. It's a shame we can't wipe all the idiots out of the world...

As for tie downs (JMO), all horses have their little quirks, even good ole' trail horses. I've been riding my entire life (not by any means making me an expert), but we've had horses come and go over the years, some that didn't need it and some that did..... That's just the way it goes.   ****It's all just if you use your brain (like with anything else), when using one!!!!!*****

Edited by hoosierbrgal 2006-07-08 8:42 AM
tncwgrl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-13 1:08 PM (#44567 - in reply to #43176)

Let me put my two cents in as well.  I have not been to CCTR, having stayed away because of hearing of the crowded campgrounds and rowdy people.  I am older now (almost 40) and am not as shy as I used to be.  I am not afraid of crowds and am happy to meet new people.  However, I too used to be one of those drunken riders whenI was younger.  What a shame!  When asked if I enjoyed those trips, I cannot even remember what the trails were like!  I know NOW that I have missed out! I will not let other people ruin my good time.  I try to find out where the rowdiest groups are and don't camp there!  Let them learn their own life lessons on their own.  I don't like seeing horses abused and have stopped people from physically beating a horse while in my presence, but you cannot save every horse in the world. 

Please don't stay away from places that can offer such great times and great beauty.  Too much land is quickly disappearing!  Won't be too long before there isn't anywhere to ride!

And let's not be too judgment on people who use equipment that YOU don't happen to agree with.  If I saw someone going into deep water with a tie-down, then yes, I would advise them of the danger and let them go ontheir way.

Please don't be offended by my opinions, though. Please, everyone happy trails1

M

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World