'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cougar sighting

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-19 9:50 AM
9 replies, 4756 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-07-04 11:11 AM (#44000)
Subject: Cougar sighting

Extreme Veteran

Last night I went for a ride up in a 1400 acres horse park in Snohomish called Lord's Hill.  It is heavily treed and sometimes bear or bobcat are seen there.  I  usually meet up with a girlfriend, who lives close enough to ride to the trails.  It was about 6pm and I was just about ready to mount up when a mother and her teenage son came out of the trailhead and breathlessly said they'd just come from the Beaver Pond trail and had encountered a cougar.  Holy cow... my girlfriend was in the trails riding to meet up with me half way, at the Beaver Pond.  I tried to call her on my cell phone but she had no reception...  I mounted up, and hit the trail with my heart in my throat!  I rode at a good trot, watching behind me, above me, all around until I met up with her.  When I told her,  she was scared.  We decided to ride to do our ride because there were some other folks up there on horseback and on mountain bikes, and none of them saw or heard anything.  We saw quite a few deer along the trail, eating peacefully and thought if  predator was close by they would probably not be so relaxed.  After about an hour we were in a very dark part of the forest, with thick tree cover and just as my horse passed a downed tree, I heard a big animal crashing through the trees, breaking branches and saw a flash of tawny hide...  I screamed like a banshee, then my girlfriend screamed!!!!!  Fortunately the horses just jumped a little but didn't run off.  I looked ahead to see where we were going to run, then back up into the trees - it was a big deer.   My god, we both looked at each other and were so relieved!  I was weak in the knees after that :)  We laughed and decided it was time to head back :)  I gave her a ride home in the trailer though...  neither of us wanted to ride alone back to our starting points.  
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-04 7:47 PM (#44014 - in reply to #44000)
Subject: RE: Cougar sighting

Extreme Veteran

I had a similar experience, only there was a big cat. I didn't see it but heard it. I was riding my mule along a creek with a lot of brush and heard something rattling leaves and limbs. My mule stopped dead and wouldn't go, which was fine by me. The cat started growling so I just turn and went back the way I came. There are cougars and bobcats in the area I was riding so it was one of the two. I wasn't going to stick around and find out. I was close enough to it that it could have gotten us if it had wanted to, glad it didn't. It is a scary feeling tho, especially when you are alone.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-07-07 11:09 AM (#44196 - in reply to #44000)

Elite Veteran

I've come across a couple bobcats while out riding, but they were sitting in the open just sitting there watching us as we rode by.  The one was in a somewhat urban area that was being cleared out and he/she seemed to have their eye on some geese in a nearby canal. 

The other time was at a preserve and when we rode by he/she was about 100 feet away from us. Neither one was all that big and cougars are much larger. 

I wouldn't want to meet up with a cougar on the trail, that is for sure!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-09 6:47 PM (#44298 - in reply to #44000)

Expert

We have them around here.  They generally avoid people.  As long as they have deer and  hogs (their natural prey) and aren't sick or injured they won't tackle a horse or cow.  They will go after foals and calves though.  And I would keep watch on kids wandering around.
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-07-09 10:29 PM (#44315 - in reply to #44000)

Elite Veteran

This is really weird timing.  While driving to a camping area on a dirt road Thursday evening, a Cougar crossed in front of me.  At first I thought it was a deer, due to it's color, but quickly realized it was a cat.  The first time I've ever seen one in the wild.  What a coincidence!
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-07-09 11:25 PM (#44319 - in reply to #44000)

Expert

Like Teri said, they are not much of a real threat to you.  A healthy cat will do everything possible to avoid you.

If you do run into one they will most likely watch you out of curiousty.  Yell, Wave your arms, throw rocks at them and they will leave.

Now if you have a little lap dog with you, it may fear for it's life. Camp Ground host once told me that was his most common complaint.  "We let our little doggie out last night to do his business and he never came back to the trailer"  I wonder where it went?

I have a friend who hunts cougars every winter. Rarely does he ever kill one. mostly just takes pictures. I've been on a few outings with him. And we have taken pictures of the cats. And as soon as they have an opportunity they are gone. Have never had one turn on us.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 1:07 PM (#44486 - in reply to #44000)

Elite Veteran

Thats why I usualy take a pistol or shotgun with me on the trails,sometimes you run into a position where you need to use one, if nothing more than to make some noise and scare off an animal.

What bothers me most is the two legged varmits you run across.

As far as the dog not coming back, coyotes love em!! they will come in to camp and eat ol fifi right out of the collar.

Ride safe
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-07-16 9:42 AM (#44720 - in reply to #44000)

Elite Veteran

Funny timing here... we were camped last weekend at Bar-K Wrangler camp in SW Missouri (just around the corner from home-45 mins.)and after midnight the neighboring camper's mules were raising cane along with our Rhodesian ridgie who does NOT bark without a reason... we could not shut him up... my husband goes out as quietly as he could with no lights and sees something with a long tan tail go into the bush toward the only water source nearby (Swan creek)... it was a cat larger than our 80# dog..
we rode the next AM and kept eyes out for scat or tracks... think you might wannna be "packin" while in the woods?
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-07-16 2:47 PM (#44735 - in reply to #44000)

Extreme Veteran

If I shot off of my horse, I'd be left sittin'  in mid air - and potentially dinner for the wild beast for sure :)  The place I was riding, and where these folks spotted the cougar was actually in a 1400 acre Snohomish County park, so I doubt firearms are allowed anyway.  Now, if I were riding in the high country, I might consider "packin" just so I could protect myself from whatever might threaten my safety or the safety of my horse... but, I don't advocate that unless you have lots of experience with your particular weapon, and can shoot to kill - in one shot.  I've heard there is not much worse than a large wounded preditor when you're miles from help. * 
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-19 9:50 AM (#45036 - in reply to #44000)

Elite Veteran

I have My horses pretty well bomb proof from shooting off them,Cowboy mounted,I assure you I can hit what I shoot at.That is also why I mentioned shotgun,3 inch magnum ammo with 00 buck will pretty well do the trick.If a horse can't handle the bang or you can't carry a firearm, there are some nice rocks in the area.Might even consider a good stick.Make alot of noise with them.

That is why this cat is in the place where you said there may be no firearms, it  knows where it is safe and gan get a good meal.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)